Ordering Dish, What do I need?

thestob

Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I really need help figuring out what set up I need when ordering Dish Network. I am confused about all the different receivers, dvrs, etc.

I have 4 tv's and just want DVR and HD on the same TV. The other 3 can just be the standard receiver. I do not care about recording HD programming, but do I still need to order a HD-DVR? Or can I get one of their dual tuner DVR's and use that with the HD receiver?

I really don't want to call dish and not know exactly what I want, so any help with receiver numbers, etc. would be appreciated.

If the other 3 TVs are non-HD, the easiest way to do this would be to get a 942 (dual tuner HD DVR receiver), and plug that into the first TV, use the second output for TV #2 (and it doesn't have to be HD) -- but it'll also be able to record to it..

Then for your other 2 TVs choose a 322, another dual tuner box, but that's non-HD and doesn't have a DVR, the beauty to the 322 and 942 is that as long as you have it connected to a phone line, you'd save the $5 'additional receiver' fee... So basically it works out like this: The 942 costs $5 a month for DVR but because the phone line stays connected, there's no $5 charge for the 2nd tv, on the 322 you get a $5 charge since there's a "3rd TV", but not the $5 for the 4th... I hope I didn't just confuse you there!

1st TV = HD, and DVR ($5 a month), 2nd TV = HD (optional but there), and DVR shared with 1st TV (free monthly on this one), 3rd TV = regular, but charges $5 for 3rd TV, 4th TV = free as long as box is plugged into phone line..

So you add $10 on top of the service plan for that setup, which if you use dishnetwork.com to configure, is done automatically. (for example if you were doing top 60 with locals you'd pay $42 a month, obviously you'll need HD programming so it'll cost a little more though)...

I think the 942 also costs something, not sure if you can rent it or not, but this is basically the setup you'd have.. a dual tuner receiver of course, means that for each 2 TVs you share one box, though they still get treated totally separately, generally they're designed to be placed near the "first" tv hooked up to each, since the 2nd TV's output comes with a wireless RF (not infrared) remote.

Hopefully this all helps! :D

For your HDTV that you want recording abilities you will need either a 942 receiver or a 921, I think the 921 is cheaper. That records plus gives you HD ability

The other 3 tv's you only need 301 receiver (3 of them).

A 921 or 942 has dual outputs, so you have the first 2 TVs covered Pilman, plus those 301s cost $5 extra a month each, whereas a 322 would cost $5 a month once, covering both TVs.

Since you don't care abut recording HD you needn't pay the $249 upgrade to get a DVR942.

I suggest the 811 HD receiver for your HD display, a DVR522 or 625 for 2 of the other sets (or all 3 if 2 of them can share one output), and a basic 311 for the 4th set if it has to be independent.

You can probably get all of this installed for no upcharge.

I suggest you find a local full-service dealer. Ask your friends & neighbors, check the phone book, and/or try www.dumpcable.com .

:smug

What JohnDoe#2 said! :)

Believe me, once you DVR, you'll never go back - DO IT!

And of course, find a GOOD local retailer - a real one, not just a mass-market outfit.

I'm really trying to make sense out of all of this too! The discussion indicates that two TVs share a single box. How are the TVs connected to the single box? I have three TVs (one HD in the living room and two SD TVs upstairs in two separate bedrooms). I'm trying to figure out costs to compare to current cable.

jwt0001 said:
I'm really trying to make sense out of all of this too! The discussion indicates that two TVs share a single box. How are the TVs connected to the single box? I have three TVs (one HD in the living room and two SD TVs upstairs in two separate bedrooms). I'm trying to figure out costs to compare to current cable.
One is connected directly to the satellite feed. That one has the regular outputs for one TV, and an RF output (like cable) for a 2nd TV. You get two remotes, and each remote controls one of the tuners.

So the tuner is near one of the TVs and wiring is run to the other one?

Sorry for a simple question, but the Voom acquisition has really made me think about getting Dish.

jwt0001 said:
So the tuner is near one of the TVs and wiring is run to the other one?

Sorry for a simple question, but the Voom acquisition has really made me think about getting Dish.

correct. Using UHF. Works great even from opposite corners of the house and different floors.

As far as the cable is concerned, the cable from the receiver to the remote TV is ordinary coax. So if your house was prewired as mine was (and as previously extended by me) where your old cable entered the house, there should be a splitter to each room. What I had the installer do was run his cable to receiver 1 and then use the existing coax from the receiver back to the splitter, remove the splitter and use an inline connector to continue the run to the second TV. Similarly, the old cable from room 3 (with receiver) was wired to room 4 with the connection at the original splitter location. The dish dual coax enters the house where the original cable did and has a Dish DP-34 splitter there.
Since then I rewired so the DVR has a local TV connection as well as a remote. The 322 has a local connection in its room and remotes to the room where the DVR is. Thus I have DVR in 2 rooms and the 322 (better signal) goes to a DVD recorder (with hard drive) so I can save movies at a better quality than using the output of the 522 DVR. That connection also goes to room 4 which is our MBR and where we only watch when going to bed. I bought an extra UHF remote on EBay so it can control the remote 322 also.

JohnP

Naw, all of you are wrong! You first need a lot of patients, understanding,willingness to see things through,persistence and out right luck. Just kidden. Thestob if you decide to go with DishNetwork I hope you enjoy your setup and welcome to SatelliteGuysU.S.

Last couple of questions:

Best way to order (retailer, phone, online)? I have seen mention of club codes. What do they get me? I think once I get these answers I'll have the information I need.

I'll keep searching this board too.

Thanks!

I was at one of my local RadioShacks killing some time and pretty much on a whim ordered DishNetwork to try it out. I have to deal directly with DishNetwork for any problems or upgrades. I have had some issues having to deal directly with DishNetwork however not as bad as some stories I have heard of when people have had bad retailers. It would probably be better for you to talk to DishNetwork first and see what they will offer, then contact your local retailers and find out what they offer in the way of service. That way you can make a more informed desicion.

jwt0001 said:
Last couple of questions:

Best way to order (retailer, phone, online)? I have seen mention of club codes. What do they get me? I think once I get these answers I'll have the information I need.

I'll keep searching this board too.

Thanks!

I spent several days checking all the phone line options, direct and through other on-line retailers, then, went with a local retailer because they also do the Regional Installation for Dish and were willing to re-align the second dish that I was going to get for free for locals--re-align to 61.5 if it didn't automatically point there for my locals.

Basically, I got all the promotions that have been advertised--the Dish madness whereby I pay only $19.99/mo for 3 months and they had a 942 in stock, so I did not have to have one ordered to ship.

Either way, whether by phone or local retailer, I am able to use the Dish Club referrals--with the Dish Club referral code, you can get a $50 discount off your install, right up front--which is in ADDITION to the $49.99 credit on your first bill--you just have to be a new subscriber and it works with other discounts and promotions.

If you need a Dish Club Referral Code, please Private Message me-I'd be glad to provide one.

Remember--you need the code when you first initiate the order--not when you install or activate--then it is too late.

I also have some numbers if anybody needs one, just PM me. I have yet to get my first ClubDish credit so somebody help me!!!!! ;) :D

Be aware that some people have had problems when using a ClubDish code with a local installer. They sometimes "forget" to tell DishNetwork that you are using a code. I would not let that stop me from ordering from a local installer though. The quality of the install seems to be better on average with a local installer but as always, your mileage may vary.

I placed my original order with Dish Network directly but they had a local installer come out and do the job and they did a pretty lousy installation. I later ordered a SuperDish and Dish send out someone from a different local outlet and they did a pretty good job.

bimmerbenz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)