OTA and Satellite on one cable?

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Is it possible to use one coaxial cable to share the Satellite Signal In, TV2 out and OTA signal coming into my 722 receiver?

The room where my 722 is located has only one coaxial cable coming into the room. The installer used a Diplexer so that the one coaxial wire carries the Satellite signal into the 722 and also carries the TV2 out signal back to another room in the house.

I have an OTA Antenna that I want to hook into the back of the 722 but that means I would need another coaxial wire coming into that room. I was wondering if there was some method that I could carry that OTA signal on the single coaxial cable and not have it affect the Satellite signal.

Any thoughts?

I've tried this before without the TV2 output like you described and couldn't get it to work. Maybe I was using the wrong diplexer or something. I was able to get local cable co. clear QAM and satellite on one cable though.

I've tried this before without the TV2 output like you described and couldn't get it to work. Maybe I was using the wrong diplexer or something. I was able to get local cable co. clear QAM and satellite on one cable though.

ryotgz,

I believe you are confusing a Diplexor with a Dish Pro Plus Separator, they are two Totally different devices.

You can use Diplexors and Dish Pro Plus Separators together so you can feed both Satellite Tuners and your OTA input on your receiver from ONE CABLE.

To be able to use Dish Pro Plus Separators you must have a DPP44, DPP33, switch or a Dish Pro PLUS LNBF to be able to use the separators. Now assuming you installation will support using separators the proper installation is below.

Diplexors have to be used in pairs. you will cut the incoming satellite feed cable from the Dish to your receiver. Put Good F connectors on each end being careful to not have any Braided ground wire or shielding touching the Center Conductors. Take one Diplexor connect the Feed wire to your receiver on the side with the single connection, on the other side the two connections are labeled Satellite (which you will connect your satellite feed from the Dish), the other is labeled OTA (so you will connect your OTA cable).

Now go to the back of your receiver remove the cable feeding the Dish Pro Plus Separator connect the second Diplexor (This time the One Cable will connect to the side of the Dixplexor with the SINGLE Connection, connect one cable to the labeled satellite connection on the Diplexor run it to your Dish Pro Plus Separator, the OTA connection on the Dixplexor will connect to the OTA input on the back of the receiver.

To be clear no Dish receiver is able to receive anything but ATSC OTA signals, your Dish receiver CAN NOT decode QAM modulated Cable signals.

John

Last edited:
You can use Diplexors and Dish Pro Plus Separators together so you can feed both Satellite Tuners and your OTA input on your receiver from ONE CABLE.

To be able to use Dish Pro Plus Separators you must have a DPP44, DPP33, switch or a Dish Pro PLUS LNBF to be able to use the separators. Now assuming you installation will support using separators the proper installation is below.

Diplexors have to be used in pairs. you will cut the incoming satellite feed cable from the Dish to your receiver. Put Good F connectors on each end being careful to not have any Braided ground wire or shielding touching the Center Conductors. Take one Diplexor connect the Feed wire to your receiver on the side with the single connection, on the other side the two connections are labeled Satellite (which you will connect your satellite feed from the Dish), the other is labeled OTA (so you will connect your OTA cable).

Now go to the back of your receiver remove the cable feeding the Dish Pro Plus Separator connect the second Diplexor (This time the One Cable will connect to the side of the Dixplexor with the SINGLE Connection, connect one cable to the labeled satellite connection on the Diplexor run it to your Dish Pro Plus Separator, the OTA connection on the Dixplexor will connect to the OTA input on the back of the receiver.

To be clear no Dish receiver is able to receive anything but ATSC OTA signals, your Dish receiver CAN NOT decode QAM modulated Cable signals.

John
You more or less described my current setup. I am using a diplexer on each end along with a separator to carry Satellite IN signal along with my TV 2 OUT signal. You described how to do it with the OTA signal alone. I need to use this setup but have the OTA signal coming IN along with the TV2 signal going out. Can this be done? Maybe I just need to use a regular splitter in reverse and try it out.

You more or less described my current setup. I am using a diplexer on each end along with a separator to carry Satellite IN signal along with my TV 2 OUT signal. You described how to do it with the OTA signal alone. I need to use this setup but have the OTA signal coming IN along with the TV2 signal going out. Can this be done? Maybe I just need to use a regular splitter in reverse and try it out.

mfoster,

Yes, you can backfeed the RF coax output from TV#2, and yes you would could use a standard Splitter used in reverse. You take the Antenna feed from the Output of the Diplexor connect it to the Splitter on the side with the single connection, then connect one cable to each of the splitters other side. One will run the OTA input of your receiver, the other to the RF Coax output for TV#2.

One thing you should check is to be sure you chose the the TV#2 output so that no OTA signals are within 2 channels above and below the chosen frequency.

Remember your local channels might be transmitted on a frequency other than the Channel's identifier on the screen; example two of my local channels chose to stay on their Digital channel assignments instead of reverting back to the frequency they used to transmit their analog signal on. My local CBS station's SD signal was on Channel 8, their Digital Signal was on (UHF) channel 45. At the digital switch over, their SD signal on Channel 8 was shutdown, even so they still refer to themselves as Channel 8, and they remap their Digital identifier to 8-1.

I would suggest you use a web based resource, like antennaweb.org to check to see which UHF signals might interfere with your TV#2 RF output.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts