OTA Antenna into DISH vip 722

yobomba

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I have another thread concerning this so hear goes my next questions....
  • I have a new Terk HDTVo VHF/UHF amplified antenna mounted in my attic.
  • I do not have it connected to the power injector since it says not to if hooking to a satellite receiver.
  • I have it run through a diplexer in order to use my current coax that is in the wall.
  • When I hook it to the Dish receiver I get all the local channels at 98-100% EXCEPT the ABC affiliate which still broadcasts in VHF (Ch.9) instead of UHF like the other locals.
  • All the locals are braodcast from the same location in Cedar Hill, TX.
  • As I said before, the digitals are being broadcast from UHF EXCEPT the ABC affifliate which is channel 8 and it broadcasting from channel 9.
  • If I hook the OTA antenna to the receiver I get about 58% signal strength for ABC.
  • If I hook it directly to my TV.....I get 98-100% on ABC.
  • Now what is up with that???????
I have a couple of diplexers in the mix going to the receiver...........

1.) If I have one cable in the mix that is NOT RG6.....would that effect the loss in strength?

2.) Would hooking the Power injector up help or would it fry my DISH receiver?

I am one channel (ABC) from being able to drop my locals and save $5 a month......not to mention being able to see the locals with weather radars on .2 & .3 channels when the weather gets bad and the satellite signal fades.

Help!

Diplexing an RG6 and RG59 (I assume) is probably not wise. Diplexing itself can reduce signal strength . I know, I tried (on RG6). 622/722 tuners are admittedly not as robust as the tuners in recent HDTV's. That's why the difference when you go direct to TV.

Keep in mind if you drop your locals, the station's program info will only show as Digital Service, and you will have to set all your timers manually. It really is worth keeping them for that reason.

You had better hope that your digital channels don't go down to VHF frequencies after the transition or you'll really be screwed.

If you're going to diplex, you can't use the antenna amp. Most diplexers don't pass power to the AIR leg. The power inserter will not help and it may or may not cause you to lose half of your channels. It shouldn't fry anything.

Depending on where your channels are going with respect to radio frequency after the transition, you may end up getting a real VHF/UHF antenna. TV Fool - Home has a feature where you can see the post-apocalyptic channels and this may help you figure out your next step.

You had better hope that your digital channels don't go down to VHF frequencies after the transition or you'll really be screwed.

I have a UHF antenna which is picking up Ch 9 100%, so that's a bit overstated.

I have researched and know for a fact what the local digital channels are going to be after the transition......and they will be exactly what they are now. Only thing that will go away for me (& everyone else) is the analogs.

As far as the program information I am going to lose when I drop the locals.......I still have it. I had it at my last house and I never subsrcibed to the locals......don't know how....but I did. :confused:

I have researched and know for a fact what the local digital channels are going to be after the transition......and they will be exactly what they are now. Only thing that will go away for me (& everyone else) is the analogs.

As far as the program information I am going to lose when I drop the locals.......I still have it. I had it at my last house and I never subsrcibed to the locals......don't know how....but I did. :confused:

Good luck with that.

I suggest you research your information again Feb 2009 CH 8 is moving back to CH8 and sister station 52 is going to move to CH9. You probably can't get it but Ch12 is going to move from 20 back to CH12.

According to TVFool.com, the Cedar Hill area will be served by channels 2, 4, 8 and 11 VHF frequency stations. This is not uncommon for a topographically featureless area such as Texas. While KXAS is currently at channel 5, they don't have a channel listed for post 2/17/09. I'll bet that the proximity to channel 4 will push them to channel VHF 6 or UHF.

I'm sticking with my position that a UHF antenna is not the best choice for the DFW area.

KXAS is staying on 41 after 02/17/2009.

Also the only VHF channels in the DFW area after 02/17/2009 will be WFAA-DT on channel 8 and KFWD-DT on channel 9 - all the rest will be UHF.

My VIP722 was receiving free locals until software update L5.11 apparently caused someconflict when OTA signals are scanned in.

When I talked to Dish about it, the CSR said it is a known technical issue. As I understand no fix has been planned, an now you need to subscribe to Dish Locals in order to get OTA locals to work.

See other post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne.../143226-vip722-w-ota-antenna.html#post1458860

Depends on where you are located. Many stations currently using UHF HD mapped down to a VHF range number, plan to switch back to VHF next year when they shutdown there analog stations. Attached is the latest (that I can find) assignments. Some are also going to be moving there current assignment in UHF to another channel. e.g WCBS-DT analog 2 is currently using 56 but changing to 33, but WABC-DT analog 7 currntly using 45 is going back to 7, similarly for WPIX ch 11 currently using 33 (where WCBS will end up).

Brings up how well the DISH DVR's will handle these channel changes. I suspect it to be confused and existing timers to have to be replaced.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-72A2.pdf

Last edited:
KXAS is staying on 41 after 02/17/2009.

Also the only VHF channels in the DFW area after 02/17/2009 will be WFAA-DT on channel 8 and KFWD-DT on channel 9 - all the rest will be UHF.

That is exactly as I see it. Every TV engineer in the DFW area verify this information. What digital channels that are UHF will stay put and Channel 8 will be on 8 or 9......either way, WFAA will stay VHF.

The Terk HDTVo antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna and is doing great in my attic with no power injector.....just a bit weak at times on channel 8 (ABC). I think if I mounted it on the roof it would give me that little extra I need to get channel 8 BUT I really don't want to mount it on the roof.

Your problems are
1 Terk antennas-- over priced, low on gain
2 diplexing cuts signal
3 amped antenna cut signal with no power to amp
4 RG-59
5 attic will reduce signal

That is exactly as I see it. Every TV engineer in the DFW area verify this information. What digital channels that are UHF will stay put and Channel 8 will be on 8 or 9......either way, WFAA will stay VHF.

The Terk HDTVo antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna and is doing great in my attic with no power injector.....just a bit weak at times on channel 8 (ABC). I think if I mounted it on the roof it would give me that little extra I need to get channel 8 BUT I really don't want to mount it on the roof.

Not familiar with which are major stations in Dallas/Ft Worth, but check the FCC chart
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-72A2.pdf
I see 8(ntsc 52), 9 and 11.

Your problems are
1 Terk antennas-- over priced, low on gain
2 diplexing cuts signal
3 amped antenna cut signal with no power to amp
4 RG-59
5 attic will reduce signal

So, to get me over the hump to get channel 8 it might help if I.......
(Trying these in order)
1. make sure all coax is RG6
2. run a direct coax line from OTA antenna to Dish receiver WITHOUT diplexer
3. move antenna to roof

I'll report my porgress.

I used a Terk HD-TVa with a coax line straight into my 622. It was in my garage attic and I used the inline amp. I am 36 miles from my towers and it worked well. I changed to a Radio Shack U-75R to get rid of the inline amp.

I used a Terk HD-TVa with a coax line straight into my 622. It was in my garage attic and I used the inline amp. I am 36 miles from my towers and it worked well. I changed to a Radio Shack U-75R to get rid of the inline amp.

Did you ADD this to your Terk Antenna or REPLACE it all together? My problem is that all of my channels that are digital ARE UHF except one channel (ABC) and it is VHF.

Did you ADD this to your Terk Antenna or REPLACE it all together? My problem is that all of my channels that are digital ARE UHF except one channel (ABC) and it is VHF.
I didn't need vhf and I wanted to see what a cheap uhf antenna would do in my garage attic so the Terk, which has vhf capability, is not in use currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)