OTA Antenna Mounted on Dish 500 or Mast

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
I'm looking to add an OTA to my setup, but I don't want to chimmney mount it....Does anyone know of a decent outdoor OTA that will attach directly to my Dish or the pipe mast? Thanks!

I'm not sure how far you are from the stations you want to get, but here's what's working for me about 30 miles from the transmitters of my five basic networks (all of which are in different directions).

When I had my Dish system installed 2 years ago, I contracted with my installer to set up an OTA for HD. He installed an omnidirectional antenna with a built in amp and electronic rotor called an "Active 5 DX". He mounted it on the top of a mast pipe behind my dish. It works well. I have 2 VHF stations and 3 UHF stations. It picks up digital channels 8 and 10 surprisingly well. The antenna was originally designed for RV's but if you're relatively close in, it's one to think about.

The quick answer is no. Dish-top antennas pretty much went the way of the goonie when UHF became the order of the day. Parking the antenna close to the dish will likely create an interesting interference pattern on the aerial.

Depending on the frequencies used by your local OTA, you may be able to get away with on of those Philips antennas that looks and mounts similar to a DBS dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)