OTA HD audio stutter when ran through VIP612 - but no problem if straight to TV

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have two VIP612's that exhibit a strange audio stutter with *1* particular OTA HD channel (CBS) when the signal is fed through the VIP612 instead of directly into the TV.

It is not an intermittent problem - the audio stutters 100% of the time.

I originally thought it was a station problem, but just for the heck of it one day I ran the OTA antenna feed directly into the TV (instead of through the VIP612) and to my surprise - perfect audio!!?

I played around with the various audio decoder options in the VIP612, but no matter what I chose - I always got the audio stutter.

The video is perfect and I have a strong mid-80% strength signal.

I should also note that the station is multicasting 3 channels at 4.1, 4.2, & 4.3 and only the 4.1 CBS has this problem.

It's the weirdest thing. Maybe the audio is slightly out of spec and my TV tuners are more forgiving??? Seems like it almost has to be some sort of decoder problem..?

I can leave the coax ran straight into the TV, it just sure is nice to have the guide integrated, DVR capabilities, dont have to switch inputs, etc..

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance-

I have the exact same problem with a local NBC station. I get all my other OTA stations fine, but get an audio stutter when viewing live TV through my VIP612 HD DVR. If I pause the station and then resume, the audio problem is gone. I have emailed Dish to find out what could cause this. I have a splitter that goes directly to my TV tuner and the station is perfect. BTW, I get 99-100% signal for this station. Any help would be great.

I swapped my 622 for two 612s a few months ago. I was getting no picture, just a black screen, from my local CBS station 42.1. Audio was fine.(both 612s). I called tech support and they told me they would look into the problem. A week later it was fixed.

I have the exact same problem with a local NBC station. I get all my other OTA stations fine, but get an audio stutter when viewing live TV through my VIP612 HD DVR. If I pause the station and then resume, the audio problem is gone. I have emailed Dish to find out what could cause this. I have a splitter that goes directly to my TV tuner and the station is perfect. BTW, I get 99-100% signal for this station. Any help would be great.

HOLY CRAP, you nailed it! I had never even bothered trying to pause and restart the channel because of the stutter problem. I just tried it and as soon as i paused it for a sec and then started it back playing - BAM! - stutter was GONE!

FWIW, I also have a VIP722 and the same channel has perfect audio on it.

It is without a doubt a problem specific to the VIP612 units.

Anyway, I will also contact support. Let me know if you hear anything-

Thanks again!

I chatted with Dish tech support and they seem to think it is a software issue. I checked my version and it is L600WADD-N when I reported the problem and now my software version is L601WADD-N but the problem is still there. No luck yet.

I have a friend here at work that has the same issue. His is limited to HD OTA sources though. What I mean is that when he is on the OTA local channel (NBC) that has the issue, only the actual program in HD has audio stutter. As soon as a "non-HD source" (usually a local commercial) comes on the stutter is gone.

Weird

brodi6, are you in Iowa? Just wondering if it is specific to WHO-TV 13. I haven't heard anything new from Dish. This is getting to be a pain with the Sunday Night NFL games. I usually like to flip to NFL Network during commercials.

That is very odd. I wonder if anyone else in the Des Moines Area is having the problem. I don't know anyone else with Dish HD in the area. Maybe by having Iowa and Des Moines in this forum, others will find it. brodi6, can you check to make sure what receiver your friend is using and what software he has? To find the software version, you can press the menu button twice and it pops up. Now that I know that at least one other person is having this problem, I will contact Dish again.

I'm in W. Des Moines, and have been having this same exact problem since at least before the Olympics. I discovered the workaround of just pausing the DVR, then playing with a 10 sec. delay by accident. So I started experimenting. I have a 622 in the basement, and WHO 13HD is fine there. I have a 612 in the living room, and it's stutters there. It only does it on 13hd. I have reset the box (unplugged, it). No change. I then changed my audio from coming thru the HDMI to just the old fashioned red/white rca cable, thinking that the HDMI has had trouble on this box before. No change. I cleared out all my locals, and rescanned. No change.
One morning I turned it on and there was no stutter. Then within a minute, it slowly came back.
I don't know what else to try. I didn't bother calling dish, and just use the pause workaround. HOWEVER, I'd love to find a more permanent fix. It drives the wife and kids crazy.
BTW: I'm at work and can't tell you my software version. I'll try and look it up tonight if it seems to matter to the problem.

I sent off another tech email to Dishnetwork although I am not holding my breath. I would ask everyone who has this issue to contact Dish so that they can hopefully figure out this issue or maybe give us a free upgrade receiver.

Here is the reply I got from Dish. Of course, this is the second time I have received this email in the last couple months. I will keep trying to get this resolved.

"Thank you for your email. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They are currently working towards a resolution for this issue. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time. Generally these issues are resolved via software information sent directly to the receiver. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link:
A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns.
Thank you,
Jack H
DISH Network Technical E-care

I wanted to check on here and see if anyone else had any reply from Dish or if there have been any resolutions found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)