OTA into a 5x8

Status
Please reply by conversation.

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Okay so I now have my OTA into directly into my HD Tivo, but I may need to hook it up to my 5x8 switch.

I know that's what the 5th input is for.

My question is can I just hook the ant on the 5th input and be done with it or is there more I need to do on the STB side like a modulator or something like that?

I'm certain this has been asked before but I couldn't find the threads.

thanks

The 5X8 is also an 8 way splitter so depending on what you have for a signal going into the 5X8 you may need to amplify the signal going into the 5X8.

Iceberg said:
you will need a Diplexer for each receiver that you want the OTA to work with
actually you need a diplexor on every lead being used. when OTA is attached OTA is the only signal on the line till you attach the diplexor

riggscm said:
So I'd need a diplexor for the 4 feeds off the dish??

in case I still decide to go through with this... where can a fella get a good price on one... or a few what ever the case may be.
not for the feeds off the dish... any that you are using from the switch.

dishstore.net has them at a great price. I recommend the eagle aspen brand

okay, so a diplexor looks like a glorified splitter... interesting.

so for clarification I'd need to diplex (self invented term) each feed off of my switch at the STB to insure that I'll still get my D* signal and my ant. input on each set. If I only want D* on certain TV's I'd only hook up one of the two outputs from the diplexor?

I mean it makes sense to me but this would be my first foray into diplexing, so you know... questions.

riggscm said:
okay, so a diplexor looks like a glorified splitter... interesting.

so for clarification I'd need to diplex (self invented term) each feed off of my switch at the STB to insure that I'll still get my D* signal and my ant. input on each set. If I only want D* on certain TV's I'd only hook up one of the two outputs from the diplexor?

I mean it makes sense to me but this would be my first foray into diplexing, so you know... questions.

correct

It is kinda like a glorified splitter.

One side passes power (Sat side) the other side only passes low frequency (Cable Ota) signals these jsut combine them on one cable. or take the apart basicly the MS diplexes the Ant input into each output.

I havent seen the D* signal degrade but definately the OTA signal can with long runs. Mine has decreased by about 10-20%. I may have to add another signal booster to maintain the signal strength.

Brewer4 said:
I havent seen the D* signal degrade but definately the OTA signal can with long runs. Mine has decreased by about 10-20%. I may have to add another signal booster to maintain the signal strength.

usually you only lose a couple of points with sub 100' runs but beyond taht it decays rapidly.

ShadowEKU said:
actually you need a diplexor on every lead being used. when OTA is attached OTA is the only signal on the line till you attach the diplexor
That's incorrect, the OTA signal will be ignored by the receiver if it isn't separated from the sat line......diplexers are only needed on the lines where the OTA signal is desired.

VinPro said:
That's incorrect, the OTA signal will be ignored by the receiver if it isn't separated from the sat line......diplexers are only needed on the lines where the OTA signal is desired.

Well as I said I'll be testing tonight. We'll see what I need where :)

no worries fellas!

VinPro said:

not on my switch.

ShadowEKU said:
not on my switch.
Interesting, I've never come across a MS that required a diplexer on the lines where OTA wasn't needed. I'm not disputing your claim, just find it interesting.......out of curiosity, which switch is it?

VinPro said:
Interesting, I've never come across a MS that required a diplexer on the lines where OTA wasn't needed. I'm not disputing your claim, just find it interesting.......out of curiosity, which switch is it?

eagle Aspen 5x8 Basicly if you jsut plug the line in it wont get any sat. and you can plug the line directly into a TV

http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/www-solidsignal-com_S-4180-GX+.pdf

page 3 i believe for illustration

I didnt think you were arguing just hadns seen it

Well in my low signal area in the switch appears to introduce about a 5 dB loss into the ota signal. I have a Terk 5X8 switch. I am debating if I need to add a line amplifier before going into the swtich so I have the S/N I want for the OTA signal.

With all this I wonder how the new dish is going to work with OTA. Anyone know?

ShadowEKU said:
eagle Aspen 5x8 Basicly if you jsut plug the line in it wont get any sat. and you can plug the line directly into a TV

page 3 i believe for illustration

I didnt think you were arguing just hadns seen it
Hey, you learn something new every day - I'll be sure to avoid that MS. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)