ota MT2 question for DIRT

kcburk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Mississippi
Would someone explain why the module will not tune digital cable channels when the help on the receiver says to choose the source for the ota module and gives options for HRC, IRC, Cable under HDTV Setup?

Thanks.

The VIP receivers have had those settings I am assuming with the intent at the time of having a tuner for unscrambled cable. There never was one however. The settings remain however.

It's only going to find OTA channels because it is only an ATSC tuner. It would need to have a QAM tuner for cable. Seems that the receiver has the software in it to scan for them but Dish never made a tuner to pick them up.

It's only going to find OTA channels because it is only an ATSC tuner. It would need to have a QAM tuner for cable. Seems that the receiver has the software in it to scan for them but Dish never made a tuner to pick them up.

makes one wonder if there is a solution to that I.e. Modify the mt2 with a QAM tuner?

makes one wonder if there is a solution to that I.e. Modify the mt2 with a QAM tuner?

If someone did manage to make a OTA module into a QAM module I'm not sure if it would work on the Dish receivers or not. Anyone know how to do it?

All of the Comcast channels in my area, and most of the USA, are encrypted. It would be silly to add QAM to the MT2....

maybe
All of the Comcast channels in my area, and most of the USA, are encrypted. It would be silly to add QAM to the MT2....

maybe...but itd be fun if it could be done if u r like me and have access to unencrypted digital channels via cable.

All cable channels in my local Charter Cable is currently using Switched Digital Video and would unable to pick up any channel without an M-Card and Tuning adaptor to support it. I think most channel companies are going this route as they no longer have to feed the entire spectrum of cable channels offered down the wire. Leaving a great deal of bandwidth open for Internet. I currently have Internet and phone bundled through them and NEVER have less than 65 MB on download speed available and often much more. My friend has their television and they have many channels available that DISH does not carry and those they do carry that are not offered in HD are with Charter. Cable in my area had certainly come along ways since the days I left it and joined DISH. The PQ is very good also. Almost makes me want to sign up and enjoy there year of reduced prices, but then I remember why I dropped DISH in the first place and I say, nope!