OTA Newb

TheFid2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Bowling Green, Ohio
I'm a recent Dish Subscriber as of last weekend, and I'm seeing posts here about how taking advantage of OTA will net you additional tuners and reliable locals during storms.

Thing is, I know next to nothing about what this entails. So I have some basic questions.

Do I need some sort of additional antenna outside besides the dish?
How would I go about setting it up?
Where can I get the necessary equipment (and what is the necessary equipment)

I have a 722k and I rent my home and am unable to mount something on the house.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

OTA just stands for "over the air". It's normal terrestrial broadcast TV, now (since June 12th) all digital. The new digital OTA channels are all broadcast using the old analog TV channels, so the antennas and equipment you need are pretty much identical, other than the tuner which now must be able to tune the new digital format. If you bought an OTA module for your 722K, you have 2 OTA tuners suitable for the new digital broadcasts. Depending upon your distance from your TV stations, you might get away with a pair of rabbit ears and/or loop antenna inside your home. Otherwise, you may have to stick an antenna inside the attic or clamp something on the outside of the house. Higher locations for the antenna are better.

Do I need some sort of additional antenna outside besides the dish?
You need an antenna. Whether it's indoors or outdoors depends....
How would I go about setting it up?
You simply attach an antenna to your Dish receiver, scan for local channels, and you're done.
Where can I get the necessary equipment (and what is the necessary equipment)
Radio Shack, Walmart, online retailers, etc.

Go to antennaweb.org, input your street address, city, state, and zip. Say "No" when it asks about obstructions (for the time being) and leave "Single Story" for the house type. When you get results, click the "Digital stations only" radio button and then copy/paste the results here.

OK, here's what they gave me

DTVAntenna
TypeCall SignChannelNetworkCity, StateLive
DateCompass
HeadingMiles
FromRF
Channel *yellow
uhf
WNWO-DT24.1NBCToledo, OH
42°25.249 *yellow
uhf
WGTE-DT30.1PBSTOLEDO, OH
35°22.529 *yellow
vhf
WTVG-DT13.1ABCTOLEDO, OH
35°24.613 *yellow
uhf
WUPW-DT36.1FOXTOLEDO, OH
34°22.246 *yellow
vhf
WTOL-DT11.1CBSTOLEDO, OH
39°24.811 *green
uhf
WBGU-DT27.1PBSBOWLING GREEN, OH
227°21.327 *red
vhf
WLMB-DT40.1INDTOLEDO, OH
330°32.45 *blue
uhf
W09CG-D9.1TBNFINDLAY, OH
188°17.951 *blue
uhf
W22CO-D68.1TBNTOLEDO, OH
34°22.218

here, I'll try it as an image:

captureklt.png

Here's one: ATSC OTA Tuner Cartridge for 722k / 222k Receivers

I'd call Dish first and see what you can get one from them for first though. Tell them you were planning on using the OTA "option", didn't realize it was optional, etc, etc. You might get one for free... :D

For the antenna, it appears you live southwest of Toledo, yes ? You need to aim an antenna roughly northeast. At your distance, an indoor antenna might work but you'll need a lot of things in your favor: Being able to locate it as high as possible, pointed out a window (facing NE), and so on.

Where is your satellite dish mounted ? Could you share the mounting pole ?

hmm

My "apartment" is really an elongated house with two identical halves back-to-back. I'm on the south side. The Dish pole is on the SW corner of the house, so I couldn't share that pole and have it point NE. The best I could do is put it near the TV inside pointing NE.

ugh, I wish there was a way to make sure It'd be worth it before I go buying the equipment

The Dish pole is on the SW corner of the house, so I couldn't share that pole and have it point NE.
Why not ? Unless it's too low.
ugh, I wish there was a way to make sure It'd be worth it before I go buying the equipment
Absolutely no guarantees. Go to Walmart, get something like this, Walmart.com: RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna: TVs, keep your receipt (and box and packaging), and try it.

Or, look at this one: Walmart.com: RCA Suburban Mini Yagi Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mast: TVs

With that, buy (2) U-Bolts and attach it to the same mast as your dish, but facing the opposite direction.

I only have a short pole outside my house on the SW corner. Pointing it back towards the NE would be pointing it directly at the front of my house. Would that be an issue?

I called dish and asked for a module. The guy said "That'll be $29.95" I said "How about no. I want to lease it like the box, not buy one" and he said "ok we'll send one for free"

I'm not even paying shipping :)

So what changes will I need to make on the receiver once I get an antenna?

I was thinking it was mounted on your roof, i.e. the SW corner of it, not the ground. Being on the ground, yeah, that will be a problem.