OTA question

MFischler

Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I just got my 622 (upgrade from the 942) and had the installer use the second cable to attach the digital attenna I had when I was a Voom subscriber. The problem is, when I scan for locals I only get two stations. When I had Voom I used to get around 10 of them. I'm guessing that between that time I had Voom and now, its position (the attenna) must have shifted. I made sure the attenna was still pointed in the general direction of Mt Wilson, but I don't know how large the signal footprint is or how exact it needs to be aimed. The Dish installer was no help - said they don't usually deal with these things.

So, my question is:

Can anyone in the Los Angeles area give me some tips? I seem to remember the Voom installer said there were specific angles, etc as to how the attenna was to be aimed correctly and can this be done without any specific equipment (signal meter or the like). I would love any info at all.

Thanks in advance...

The best thing you can do is to have someone watch the TV as another person turns the antenna keeping in touch by cell phone. Just set the antenna for the direction where you get the most channels.

Larry

larrykenney said:
The best thing you can do is to have someone watch the TV as another person turns the antenna keeping in touch by cell phone. Just set the antenna for the direction where you get the most channels.

Larry

As Larry said, that's probably the best method.

An alternative method is to connect directly to your TV's NTSC (analog) tuner and turn the antenna until you get the best analog signal. Then connect back to your 622 and rescan.

Important: Before rescanning with your 622, delete the 2 locals that you've already got locked. I'm not sure why this works, but many have better success at locking on more channels when they start with a clean slate.

Let us know how it turns out.

VOOM used amplified Winegard antennas powered by the voom receiver, Your 622 probably isn't powering the amplifier. Power supplies are available from Winegard.

boba said:
VOOM used amplified Winegard antennas powered by the voom receiver, Your 622 probably isn't powering the amplifier. Power supplies are available from Winegard.
Bingo! I'll place my bet on that one. :)

Thanks for all your info. From my own research, I found out that this is the antenna I have:

Channel Master CM 3010 Suburban HDTV STEALTHtenna

Which does offer an optional amp - which begs the question:

If it needs the amp and I don't have it already, why would I get two stations and not zero? Also - in reference to oljim - I never used it with the 942, only the Voom receiver.

At this point, I'm going the cell phone route and do the point and scan.

I have the StealthTenna on the townhouse I'm selling (just moved). I put in the amp. The antenna came with it's own power supply for the amp. Call Warren Electronics or someone similar and see if you can just buy the amp or maybe they'll tell you what it is. Maybe I'll look at mine to see.

Of course, that assumes you have the amp in the antenna now and just need to power it. The basic antenna comes without an amp, and works fine for local stations. It doesn't "need" the amp, it's an option to pull in weaker, more distant stations. If you put in the amp, you are removing a card built in to the antenna and replacing it, and setting up the power supply. Really very simple.

If you are getting 2 stations, I can only surmise they are nearby and full power.

navychop said:
I have the StealthTenna on the townhouse I'm selling (just moved). I put in the amp. The antenna came with it's own power supply for the amp. Call Warren Electronics or someone similar and see if you can just buy the amp or maybe they'll tell you what it is. Maybe I'll look at mine to see.

Of course, that assumes you have the amp in the antenna now and just need to power it. The basic antenna comes without an amp, and works fine for local stations. It doesn't "need" the amp, it's an option to pull in weaker, more distant stations. If you put in the amp, you are removing a card built in to the antenna and replacing it, and setting up the power supply. Really very simple.

If you are getting 2 stations, I can only surmise they are nearby and full power.

I remember the installer coming out and putting a new card in, so I'm guessing that the amp may already be in. The problem is the power supply. I found a pic of the amp and the power supply, so I'm guessing that the amp is the card inside the attenna and the power supply gets inserted and "plugged in" somewhere along the line where convenient. Correct?

Thanks again for everyone's input...

Last edited:
Yes, there will be a power inserter, looks like a splitter. It should be between the antenna and the first splitter/distibution amplifier in the system.

Before you go thorugh the throuble of doing that, just make sure the antenna cable is plugged into the right thing on the back of the 622. It most likely is, but just check.

The reason I say that, is because there has been a few posts on here where the installer put the cable onto the UHF antenna input instead of the OTA one. IN one instance the guy was still getting a couple of OTA channels.

Correct, usually near the receiver where 120vac is convenient. I also echo what RobertsD said - strong enough local channels can find their way into the OTA tuner even with the cable connected to the UHF remote antenna input, and most likely the remote would also work at least from short range. What you describe is classic symptoms of this latter "root cause"...

Last edited:
But if you have another receiver in the setup it may power the antenna like mine does. I have an 811 in the basement and when it is hooked up the ota comes in great. When it is unhooked I get no ota reception.

pabisc said:
But if you have another receiver in the setup it may power the antenna like mine does. I have an 811 in the basement and when it is hooked up the ota comes in great. When it is unhooked I get no ota reception.
Some 811s and other models would provide power over the OTA port, but due to problems that caused, they no longer do it.

Well, have to thank you all for your input - the power source did help a lot!

But, what completely astonishes me most is this: I was still only able to get two local stations. And I remember the Voom installer telling me how sensitive the attenna is, and I would have to choose between some channels and not others or visa versa (a few degrees one way or the other, etc), and the reception, to be honest, was never very good to begin with - lot of drop outs, etc. I tried every version of up and down and left and right and nothing was working.

So - what in the world was the Voom installer thinking when he placed the attenna where he did?

Today, I moved the attenna 10 ft to the left so it had a line of sight connect with Mt Wilson - and BINGO - I now get 26 stations - LOL.

Guess I should have asked you guys about that in the first place.

But thanks again for all the time and comments - it did help - and I'd still be frustrated and without my OTA without you :)

Another issue to address.(As stated in numerous other threads) :rolleyes:

If you decide to hook an OTA antenna to your 622, you will only be able to pick up DIGITAL OTA and not analog.

I found this out the hard way after hooking and rehooking my antenna thinking I had a bad coax.... :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)