OTA tuner for 722 vs 722k

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Can somebody tell me if the OTA tuner module is available for the 722 model? My locals are not avail in HD so Id need to pull them from the OTA. Dish is offering the 722 no mention of the 722k which I know the ota tuner is available. Im thinking of switching back to Dish fron DTV. Using the OTA for locals would the info show up on the guide?

with the 722 you can get only get OTA via tv1 with a 722k you can get ota via tv1 and tv2. with a 722 you can record 1 ota and two sat channels all at once. with a 722k you can record 2 ota channels and 2 sat channels all at once.

if 722k is newest model then why the need for the ota module when apparently its standard on the 722?

Arent locals included with all packages?

if 722k is newest model then why the need for the ota module when apparently its standard on the 722?

Arent locals included with all packages?

as of feb 1st locals included with all channels. local sub gives you guide infor for OTA channels

the K version is newer, and permits 4 recodings at once, 2 digital OTA and 2 sat.

722k is great unit with one current annoying bug:(

loss of a ota channel in my case plane flutter causes lost sat message, interrupting watching tv, till you push guide botton.

do be aware as of feb 1st extra receiver fees are getting hiked a lot.

as much as 17 bucks a box up from 5 bucks even for owned boxes.

722k is better

If we knew where you live we could direct you to where to find out if your locals are available via E* in HD & or SD. Either of those will give you the guide data for your OTA locals. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain":D That would be Bob who has several DVR's and since your original post is only talking about having 1 DVR then what he said doesn't really apply on the big fees. The 722k is a fairly solid unit and I lease one & got the OTA module so I can record 4 HD nets all at the same time. The 922 will be coming out but has been delayed for more testing. Yes the 922 w/ OTA module will be able to record 4 at at time. If you really need Sling it may be worth waiting for it. Hope we have been helpful.

If we knew where you live we could direct you to where to find out if your locals are available via E* in HD & or SD. Either of those will give you the guide data for your OTA locals. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain":D That would be Bob who has several DVR's and since your original post is only talking about having 1 DVR then what he said doesn't really apply on the big fees. The 722k is a fairly solid unit and I lease one & got the OTA module so I can record 4 HD nets all at the same time. The 922 will be coming out but has been delayed for more testing. Yes the 922 w/ OTA module will be able to record 4 at at time. If you really need Sling it may be worth waiting for it. Hope we have been helpful.

Heres a question for you:)

Once your exposed to a DVR dont you want it on ALL TVs you watch?

As such a reminder that extra receivers can and will carry a 17 buck per box fee is a necessary warning to new subs and espically returning subs like the OP.

what ever

As such a reminder that extra receivers can and will carry a 17 buck per box fee is a necessary warning to new subs and espically returning subs like the OP.

He hasn't mentioned having multiple TV's. I going by what the op said and no more. Now if he had shown several I wouldn't have said anything about your post. :)

I watch 3 TVs. I have one 722 and one 301. The third TV slaves off of the 301. There is absolutely no reason to go berserk with multiple DVRs unless, of course, you were getting them free before. Not the case any more so suck it up.....

Can someone explain what "sling" is?

I called dish and they said my locals are only avail. in sd for now so Id need an antenna to do it but could cut the price 50% off direct tv.

How did you lease a 722k when dish is not offering that?

I watch 3 TVs. I have one 722 and one 301. The third TV slaves off of the 301. There is absolutely no reason to go berserk with multiple DVRs unless, of course, you were getting them free before. Not the case any more so suck it up.....

I bought my 625s years ago had AEP and never minded the 5 buck extra per box ..........

BUT change it to 17 bucks and ouch:(

Heck I would like to DVR err DRR digital radio record my radio

links

Can someone explain what "sling" is?

Here's sling box site Slingbox.com - Watch Your TV Anywhere

I called dish and they said my locals are only avail. in sd for now so Id need an antenna to do it but could cut the price 50% off direct tv.

How did you lease a 722k when dish is not offering that?

Here's the VIP 722k page. HD DVR Recorders - TV Recorder & Player - DISH Network You have to read closely but the DuoDVR VIP 722 is the k model. It tells you that in the 1st line. Sorry sling part is w/in your post.

The 722 has the same "OTA signal flutter" issues mentioned; if you don't leave the OTA tuner (which is built in, not a removable module like the *22k & 922) on a weak channel, it doesn't interfere. The 722k and 922 use a removable module so that Dish doesn't waste money on a feature that not all customers want or need. Moving it to a module also allows dual OTA tuners, and conceivably allows other technologies (QAM, MPEG4 OTA) to be added in the future.

so what is "signal flutter" on these models? What does it do?

Will dish give you the module or even sell it to you or is it after market?

Last edited:
If you leave an OTA tuner set on a channel that has less than, say, 70% signal according to the meter at the top of the screen, and then the wind blows or the sun comes out, or something causes the receiver to lose it's lock on that channel, the receiver freaks out and [erroneously] reports that the satellite signal for transponder (whatever) has been lost. In actuality, it has nothing to do with satellite signal at all. My 722 did this a lot when it was new, a firmware update mostly fixed it, but then I got a better antenna. If you have this problem, just try to remember to change the channel on the OTA tuner if you were watching something on a weak channel. Incidentally, I never had this bug interfere with a recording from the satellite; it only hurt my ability to watch live TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)