OTA when Snowed Out

jsmythe

Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
NJ, USA
Hi guys,

First time here and recent Dish (2 X722's) installation. I tried searching for this topic and I thought I'd seen a topic before but now can't find it. Today I had "searching for satellite" with snow clouds all around. I couldn't figure out if I could watch on the OTA tuner as the "Searching" message was blocking me. I am aware that it allows you to record a third show (via OTA), but it seems in the sat signal blackout situation, I can't watch via the OTA tuner. Is my observation correct or is there a workaround? I know I can just split the signal into my TV's ATSC tuner and watch that way, but wanted a definitive answer.

Thanks!

you can still watch OTA when searching for signal on the sat. They trick is to getting around the searching for signal message to tune into a local channel. I forget how to do it but it is possible, maybe by pulling up the DVR menu then going into the guide or something.

you can still watch OTA when searching for signal on the sat. They trick is to getting around the searching for signal message to tune into a local channel. I forget how to do it but it is possible, maybe by pulling up the DVR menu then going into the guide or something.

This has to be one of the most stupid parts of the Dish interface.. the DVR just goes bonkers when it can't grab a Sat signal.. it should be MUCH easier to change channels (to a station on a different Sat), or go OTA.

The way I get around it is to hit "Guide", that usually gets me back to screens that will stop acting like the world has ended.

No, this doesn't bug me at all :D

You definitely can. Happens to me in Texas with big thunderstorms (no snow). I think I hit "Cancel", then manually input one of the OTA channel numbers...

Or you can turn the receiver OFF, then ON and quickly hit the Guide button. That will let you navigate to the OTA channels.

Interesting. I upgraded to HD with DISH on Monday. We replaced an old DVR with a VIP-722 and it is wonderful. The installer took down my Superdish that was hitting 110, 119 & 121 and replaced it with a DISH 500 antenna that I had collecting dust in the basement to hit 110 & 119. He said Albany, NY SD locals had been moved to 110 quite a while ago and DISH no longer uses the Superdish because they are too expensive. They also installed a second DISH 500 antenna, which was included in the upgrade to hit 61.5 to get HD.

My question is... like the OP we got about three inches of snow and then freezing rain this morning. 61.5 kept losing signal. I checked the dish and there was no snow on it. We did not lose 110 or 119. I thought 61.5 was supposed to be less susceptible to snow/rain fade because it has a higher look angle. Does this seem right? I just checked my signal strengths and am getting around 58 - 60 on 110 & 61.5 and around 40 on 110. Have people been finding more snow fade with 61.5 than on 110 & 119?

the weather issue is the major reason I dumped Dish for Uverse in chicagoland...snow, especially large flakes would cause me to completely lose signal, whether or not the actual dish was covered in snow..and, moderate to heavy rain made the same thing happen...
Neither of those things have any effect on Uverse..

had directv / dtivo for years and only had a few rain / snow outs. the dish HD dish is huge compared to my old one, that's why i was surprised at the rain fade when it wasn't really even stormin outside. is dish network more susceptible to rain fade than directv? at least i now have OTA HD piped from an amped antenna in the attic.

Since I've tweaked my dish to optimum signal strength, I haven't lost a signal. Even when my dish was covered with an inch of glazed ice from an ice storm and todays 3" snow/ freezing rain. Signal strength went down into the lower teens on the 61.5 and 78, but is back up into the 30's and 40's now.

Since I've tweaked my dish to optimum signal strength, I haven't lost a signal. Even when my dish was covered with an inch of glazed ice from an ice storm and todays 3" snow/ freezing rain. Signal strength went down into the lower teens on the 61.5 and 78, but is back up into the 30's and 40's now.

I was in the 50's and got snow fade with no snow on the dish. I wonder if I'm not aimed properly for optimum reception? I've rarely had snow fade in 12 years on 110/119/121.

jsmythe, what type of dish do you have installed?

i didn't know there were different options. since i have HD i have that really big one - it dwarfs my old directv SD dish. i'm also curious about the "tweaking", will have to check my readings - when i did a quick check they were green but i don't remember the numbers...

---cut---

My question is... like the OP we got about three inches of snow and then freezing rain this morning. 61.5 kept losing signal. I checked the dish and there was no snow on it. We did not lose 110 or 119. I thought 61.5 was supposed to be less susceptible to snow/rain fade because it has a higher look angle. Does this seem right? I just checked my signal strengths and am getting around 58 - 60 on 110 & 61.5 and around 40 on 110. Have people been finding more snow fade with 61.5 than on 110 & 119?

Hi all, I don't get much snow down here in Central Florida; however, I was having a bit of trouble with rain fade on 61.5 so I went out and re-peaked the dish and did pick up some signal strength over what the installer got. (They are in a hurry and may not peak the dish as good as it can be). Even with the dish peaked to perfection it sure seems like I get more rain fade on 61.5 then 110 or 119. I think it may have more to do with where my 61.5 dish is mounted - gets runoff from the roof while the other dish is above the roof. Also - there is quite a span from where the two dishes are pointed so a storm could be blocking one but not the other.

Make sure you check the dish for even a little snow as I have noticed on my FTA dishes even a little dew will cut the signal strength a little so I would think a little snow or dew/frost would knock it down too.

So you have something to compare to on my VIP 222 I get:

Trans 15, 75% SS
Trans 22, 57% SS
Trans 25, 60% SS

Trans 15, 75% SS
Trans 22, 82% SS
Trans 25 65% SS

Trans 12, 75% SS
Trans 15, 79% SS
Trans 20, 75% SS

Hope this helps, DC

Today I couldn't seem to get any HD in so I checked dish and it had a bit of snow & ice on it. So foolishly I climbed a 24 foot ladder in 15 degree weather with about a 20 mph wind and went and scraped most of the snow & ice off the dish. Channels seem to be ok now and my signal strength has improved to mid 30's. We have had nearly 20 inches of snow in the last few weeks and another storm is predicted for this weekend. This will get old quick.

There are electric heaters made to melt the snow and ice off your dish. Costs some in electricity, but they're still a great alternative to a broken leg.

I live in a suburb of Buffalo, NY and we get a lot of snow. The only time I lose signal is IF the dish and LNB are covered with a heavy wet snow. The ice we have gotten has not bothered it and even some snow (enough to cover the bottom half but not the LNB) on the dish does not bother it.

David;
your signal strengths seem quite low. I have been through snow storms and rain storms and have not lost my signal yet. Have a 1000.2 and a 500 wing dish, if it continues to be a problem, I would have your dish peaked, that would solve most of your problems I believe.