OTA wiring question - simple setup

Outback Paul

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
Hey, I want to purchase an OTA antenna and have a question before buying. I plan on doing a outside antenna running it to my 722. I have just one receiver running 2 TV's. Is there a way to connect the OTA antenna to the cable already running to the TV without having to run another cable down the wall?

Thanks

Yes but

Yes you can by using two diplexers. You would put one diplexer outside and would have the antenna coax cable and one of your dish cables into the diplexer with the output going to the existing cable running inside. Then you would put another diplexer inside at your receiver which would split the one back out into two with one going into the dish input and the other into the OTA input. The diplexer sorts out which signals go where.

I researched doing this, however the consensus was that you do lose some signal at each diplexer. This may or may not be an issue in your area and will most likely affect the OTA signal more than the dish signal. In the end, I chose to mount an antenna in the attic and ran the cable internally so I didn't have to use diplexers or drill a hole through my house.

Yepp, diplexer.

I have one cable running from a 1000.2 to a diplexor. There is also a cable from my attic antenna running to the other input on the diplexor. The output ties to the cable running down the wall.

Behind the dvr the single cable goes into another diplexer, then one side runs out to the antenna in on the 722 and the other side runs out to the dish seperator that splits into two feeds for the sat tuners. Works great.

I used the two Channelmaster diplexers from solid signal.

Sorry to jump in here but I have a question.
Would you put the diplexer before or after your switch (line coming from your dish) I have 2 coming from the dish, so I just make sure I get on the same one at the receiver.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts