OTA

I've suggested this time and time again to DISH and others in departments at DISH. It would make sense for them because they would NO longer have to hold any guide data for any of the sub channels up on the satellite. They could just hold the guide data for The big 4 networks +Cw and PBS and they would be good. All other ota channels and sub channels would rely on simple PSIP data in the air . This would make the customer happy too ,because they wouldn't have to turn to another provider for the simple guide data . It could be easily done by software updates. I know the DISH dtv pal plus dvr would use Psip data ,when it became available over the air. I had one for 2 years or more ,till it died , and that was the way it worked. I finally had guide data for Metv in my area and the dam receiver died the next day. DISH needs to really look at this suggestion. It would make customers happy and would make DISH's guide look finished. There is no reason to have "digital locals" on your guide in this day and age, in the 21st century.

I thought the objection was that the stations were only required to have a day or two. The guide can give 8 days. Unless, of course, you do not have the long-guide satellite and only get 2 programs worth.
-Ken

I am a former DISH employee in Columbus Ohio (advanced tech support AKA Dr. Dish) on EA due to los issues for 119 110 129. The locals here are not available on EA so I have to use OTA. I have always had the same Digital Service in the guide. I brought it up to my boss when I worked there but to no avail. I wish they would put the guide info on there as it would make using the DVR easier.

I thought the objection was that the stations were only required to have a day or two. The guide can give 8 days. Unless, of course, you do not have the long-guide satellite and only get 2 programs worth.
-Ken
I had up to 7 days using the Tv guide option on the Dish Dtv pal plus dvr, but it would often drop to just 2 days on sub channels. But what would you like better? Two days worth or NONE at all,like today? To me 2 days are better than none.

-Ken

Actually all that is required is 12 hours of guide data.

Correct, Dish does not decode the PSIP data. They get the guide data from a subscription service that broadcasters belong to and supply with their information. This same services sends data to the broadcasters PSIP encoder and that is how the encoder stuff gets on the PSIP stream for most stations. Some stations put it in themselves, but most do not.

I am sure it would be easy to set a flag when it says "Digital Service" and get local PSIP data, and also flag that the manual timer must be used for this station.

Correct, Dish does not decode the PSIP data. They get the guide data from a subscription service that broadcasters belong to and supply with their information. This same services sends data to the broadcasters PSIP encoder and that is how the encoder stuff gets on the PSIP stream for most stations. Some stations put it in themselves, but most do not.

Just because they don't does not mean they can't. In fact, I'm pretty sure they use the data to name the subchannels after you scan them.

Just because they don't does not mean they can't. In fact, I'm pretty sure they use the data to name the subchannels after you scan them.

They do use psip data for channel designations, so I 'm sure that allowing psip data to be used for guide information would not be a stretch. This is something that DISH should really consider for reasons I've already listed before.

The old 811 HD receiver showed the guide for OTA locals. When I got the 211 the guide went away and everything said Digital Service. I complained to Dish but of course with no luck.

They have to use the subchannel name because recently one local lost part of its antenna system and they went to another station and put their encode on line and dish still found it on another RF real channel and displayed the sub channels correctly. The DISH carried channel took a day or two to catch up as they had to send a tech to the local pickup point to change the receivers channel.

The old 811 HD receiver showed the guide for OTA locals. When I got the 211 the guide went away and everything said Digital Service. I complained to Dish but of course with no luck.

The 811 was a special exception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)