Output Level from 322 TV2 Modulator

mjstraw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Does anyone know the output signal level from the TV2 modulator in a 322 receiver? I found one posting here, a review by Scott, that claimed 10db. This seems a bit low, since the instructions talk about placing an attenuator in the line when connecting directly to a TV - and "normal" signal for a TV is 10-15db - so I expected the raw signal to be more than that (hence requireing an attenuator).

My home distribution system was designed and balanced around the assumption that connected modulators would be putting out 25-30db. I'm hoping the 322 is in this range.

Mark

I can't find anything myself on that...

But on a related note, do you (or anyone) know of a low-cost stereo modulator that can output on a user-selected channel? Specifically VHF-Hi band would be nice. (I hope this doesn't hijack this thread...)

I've never seen a (consumer) modulator that outputs high VHF - only channel 3/4, or UHF, or high cable frequencies. You might be able to get a commercial modulator, such as Blonder Tongue, but it would be expensive.

Brad

modulators

"low cost" is in the eye of the beholder :) and tends to be mutually excluse with "stereo".

ChanneVision and ChannelPlus seem to be the major players in the residential video distribution market. Check ebay - I just picked up a non-stereo ChannelVision modulator with composite loop-thru for under $30 used.

Mark

I think I remember hearing on a Tech Chat that the Modulator output, as opposed to the normal output, is in the 25-30 dB range.

That's why they pack and attenuator to dull down the signal if it's too high.

TuxCoder said:
But on a related note, do you (or anyone) know of a low-cost stereo modulator that can output on a user-selected channel? Specifically VHF-Hi band would be nice.
Here's a link to the Radio Shack on-line catalog for a kit to modulate a DVD's output for MTS TVs without AV inputs. I thought the modulator part #15-2525) was available separately for ~$35. This new kit is $40.

Unfortunately, it looks like it works on Ch. 3 or 4.

I asked DishNetwork tech support and they said it was 77dB. I thought it might be a typo, and asked for confirmation. They responded:

"Yes, 77dB is correct. This is why we supply the attenuator to bring it down
the industry standard which is 60dB. The attenuator is required to be packed
out by the FCC because of the high decibel range"

So now I'm really confused. I thought the standard for connecting a set was 10-15dB.

Or are we talking different units of measurement here? I've seen reference to dBmv. And the tech's reference to "decibel range" puzzles me.

Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)