Over 18 Months DishHD is $737 more than my Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Yes I know, an other Comparision between Cable and Dish. Here is mine.
Interesting when you compare it over 18 Months since you have a required contract and required lease upgrade cost. It is a lot more.

This is what I get when I do the math for Cox cable. Every market is of different so compare yours BEFORE Signing that 18 Month contract just to make sure you have all the facts.

Just trying to give more facts so people can make an informed choice. Im not trying to bash Cable, Dish
===========================================
Why is Dish HD $737 more than Cable over 18 Months?

Dish are you listening? By forcing us to pay for Voom when some do not want it, you are much more than Cable now. Also, it seems like the customer is paying a lot for your Mpeg4 upgrade.

I have been comparing packages assuming you have 2 HDTVs and only want HBO.

Cox Cable
==========
Basic Top 80 41.99 (going to 100% digital simulcast in June)
Digital Top 180 13.45
HD DVR1 Lease 14.90
HD DVR 2 Lease 14.90
HD Pack free TNT, UnvHD, DscHD, EPSN1HD, InHD1&2 all Locals HD
HBO free Includes HBO HD, free because I have Tele & Internet
On Demand HBO free
===========================
85.24 month

85.24 x 18 months = $1,534.32

Dish network
============
Top 180 w HD 74.99 Gold w Locals NO Local HDs in my area for 1 year
HD DVR1 5.98
HD DVR1 5.98
2nd Box 6.00
HBO 14.95
On Demand No Maybe in a year with the VIP receivers?
============
92.95 month

$299 HD DVR1 Lease fee
$299 HD DVR2 Lease fee (assuming they will some day allow a 2nd)
============
$598 required cost

92.95 x 18 months =$1673.10
Plus Required $598
=============
$2271

Cox Cable over 18 Months $1,534.32
Dish over 18 Months $2,271.00
====================
$737 More over 18 Months

good comparison. remember when satellite used to be cheaper than cable? i hope fios/cable does not take the path satellite companies have taken with their lease upgrades.

I'm also hoping Cablevision in North Jersey gets their act together with their HD offerings by the time my 18 month contract is over. If they have anything comparable to the Dish I'm making the move to cable too. Better yet, if Verizon hooks my town up with FioS I'm jumping ship.

The nickel and diming (if you want to call $299 upfront cost to lease a dvr nickels and dimes) Dish puts it's customers through is preposterous and it doesn't look like it will end any time soon.

If someone wants what dish is offering and is willing to pay the price then they will go for it, if not then they will go for something else. Your comparison also shows to hd dvrs and honestly I have only in the last 365 days run into 2 people with more than 1 hd tv and one that has 3, come on now. The average joe is not going to have more than 1 hdtv if he can aford even 1 so lets get a bit more realistic here.

ScottChez said:
Why is Dish HD $737 more than Cable over 18 Months?

1. Did you take into account that Dish has MORE HD channels then cable at the moment.
2. Did you take into account that Dish DVR is a much better box and allows to get OTA HD. I can get Chicago & Milwaukee OTA. Also some cable systems do not carry all local HD. For ex., TWC in Milwaukee doesn't carry at the moment WB and UPN HD.
3. Did you take into account inferior PQ on most analog cable channels.

So, probaly Dish is more expansive, but is a better value. At least for me.

This is the primary reason I will be leaving dish soon. Moving to cable requires no up front cost for the DVR's, and I'm not forced to get the Voom channels that I don't want anyway. Dish is still the better deal if you don't subscribe to HD, but it definitely isn't when you factor in HD. Besides, the cable company is allowing me to get the same deal for only $45/month if I'm willing to give them my equipment. Since the equipment is now outdated, sounds like the best deal around for me. I will check my options after my one year is up, but if Dish doesn't change some things with HD, I won't come back.

DISH wins for me!

Man-
I think the math was easy for me! (these types of threads will always be determined by packages, etc...)

Comcast
$143.95 per month (Platinum, HD DVR, HD Box) x 18 = $2591.10

DISH
$116.98 per month (HD Plat, Locals, SportsPak) x 18 = $2105.64

Difference = $485.46

$485.46 - 349.98 (622 and 211 upgrade) = $135.48

So, even after my upgrade fees - for me, DISH will save me $135 - with MORE HD and a much better DVR technology.

1. Did you take into account that Dish has MORE HD channels then cable at the moment.

- Minus Voom, Dish only has ESPN-2 over my cable right now. I hear they might add more, but Food HD is not important to me. I have the Voom 5 right now and I never watch them. Everyone has there own favorite channels. So everyone should compare using what they like in HD.

2. Did you take into account that Dish DVR is a much better box and allows to get OTA HD. I can get Chicago & Milwaukee OTA. Also some cable systems do not carry all local HD. For ex., TWC in Milwaukee doesn't carry at the moment WB and UPN HD.

- For me its the other way around, I cant get all more OTA in HD and Dish is missing the UPN and PBS guide Data. My Cable has all the OTA HD and the Guide data. This if course will be different for every city so everyone must compare there own. But there are some good things to look for.

3. Did you take into account inferior PQ on most analog cable channels.

- I compared the Sci Fi Channel last week.
Cox Cable Analog Sci fi looked better on my RPTV 65" HD Sony than Dishes Digital . Plus my Cox is going to 100% ALL DIGITIAL this summer via digital simulcast. I did notice that the Cable Pic quality for the Analogs looked different at different times of the day. I am guess once they go to Digital Simulcast that will stop. Some Dish Channels did look much better than the same Cable Analog channe. I guess it varries by Channel and maybe they will be more equal with Digital Simulcast. For Cities not planning Digital Simulcast, I would think Dish would always be better, but that is guess, everyone should compare on there own.

I do live only 2 1/2 miles from the Cable Head end so that may make a difference also. If thats true, then everyone would have to compare neighbor hood by Neighbor hood.

ScottChez said:
I do live only 2 1/2 miles from the Cable Head end so that may make a difference also. If thats true, then everyone would have to compare neighbor hood by Neighbor hood.

That is exactly why these cable vs dish debates are so pointless. Why even post them? Do you have any idea how cable compares in my area? Not very well thank you - less programming, more money and high speed internet rates are ridiculous - and its the vaunted COMCAST.

The moral of the story - cable vs dish is a regional/isolated comparison. I think its great for you if its a quality product at a great rate - but pointless for others. For many the only discussion is DISH vs DirecTV and that is something everyone can chime in on - its the same across the country.

*** Edit: This isnt intended to come off like it sounds.....oh well....:eek:

Last edited:
DirecTV used to use that phrase in their advertising campaigns - 100% Digital Quality. The reality is that you will give up analog noise for digital artifacts when your cable company makes that switch. Take a look at the channels in the digital tier on your cable system now. If they are better than what you see on Dish then great. If not - well ALL your channels will soon look like that. I don't think there is enough bandwidth to carry all SD and HD channels in full resolution, plus carry all of the other services like internet and phone. They have to make some tradeoffs, which are usually picture quality on SD channels.

I have had all 3, Dish, DirectTV and Cable.

I now put the stats in a spreadsheet, looks like my Math is off. Dish is $861 more for my market over 18 MOnths. Using the Everything seems like the best deal for Dish but it is still more due if your want HD DVRs and have 2 HDTVs.

The whole point for this thread is to show others and potential new customers how to compare and get all the facts.

Everyones market and dollar difference will be unique.
Some dont know to cost things out over 18 Months due to the contract.

Same with Direct TV now, you have cost it our over 2 Years.

Last edited:
Its is tough to make the comparison, I do like dish better and they have more hd, all digital, better dvr, etc... I always notice the inferior service when visiting friends with cable - but I have to draw the line somewhere. I did the math also when confronted yesterday with all of the fees that my upgrade to a 622 and silver hd w/hbo would entail.

Dish will be ~$110/month plus $99 and my 921 trade in($200) = $1620 over 12 months with 6 mos to go on contract

Comcast offers $100/month for digital w/hbo and hd dvr, no equip cost, $45/er month credit for 12 months for quitting dish, can keep and sell 921 (is it worth $200?) = $460 no commit

Thats $1160 savings for going w/ cable for a year, if I hate it and switch back, I've saved enough to buy 2 622s - someone please give me a reason to stay with dish, besides Voom and loyalty.

The best deal that cable has over Dish ( and DirecTV also ) is their triple play packages , I get Phone, Broadband and every channel, 3 boxes all for under $170.00 a month.

If I went back to E* ( left more then a year ago ) with the same services from three different companies I would be well above $200.00 or more a month plus all the STB ( I would need two 622 and one 211 to equal what I get from Comcast ) charges.

By the way I get great service from Comcast, E* may have the Voom channels, but I get my local sports in HD now ( E* does not offer any RSNs in HD ), Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, all locals in my area ( CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, UPN and the WB ), all digital, and the On Demand stuff including Howard Stern.

spiderg8r said:
Its is tough to make the comparison, I do like dish better and they have more hd, all digital, better dvr, etc... I always notice the inferior service when visiting friends with cable - but I have to draw the line somewhere. I did the math also when confronted yesterday with all of the fees that my upgrade to a 622 and silver hd w/hbo would entail.

Dish will be ~$110/month plus $99 and my 921 trade in($200) = $1620 over 12 months with 6 mos to go on contract

Comcast offers $100/month for digital w/hbo and hd dvr, no equip cost, $45/er month credit for 12 months for quitting dish, can keep and sell 921 (is it worth $200?) = $460 no commit

Thats $1160 savings for going w/ cable for a year, if I hate it and switch back, I've saved enough to buy 2 622s - someone please give me a reason to stay with dish, besides Voom and loyalty.

Your logic sounds fine, one additional factor that put me off comcast was the not-so-obvious install fee's,
They assume you have cabling etc that they can just hook into, i dont, as the cable is at ground level (not up to house) and the sat is via the roof, so they would ding me with a bunch of install costs. It almost certainly wasnt 1160 bucks but still enough to put me off for the moment and i do worry about the equipment i am used to the dish dvr's and they do pretty much all i would want.

Scott, nice comparison but thats just for you. Go ahead and get whats best for you. Its hard to compare apples against apples when I have bananas, joe schmoe has pineapples, and user X,Y, and Z have watermelon!

My only choice is Comcast besides Dish and DirecTV. Comcast charges a $150 one time lease fee per dvr in my area. Also their prices are much higher and they have not added a new HD channel since TNT HD almost 2 years ago. Scifi channel is also almost unwatchable due to the compression on digital cable.

scooby2 said:
Scott, nice comparison but thats just for you. Go ahead and get whats best for you. Its hard to compare apples against apples when I have bananas, joe schmoe has pineapples, and user X,Y, and Z have watermelon!

My only choice is Comcast besides Dish and DirecTV. Comcast charges a $150 one time lease fee per dvr in my area. Also their prices are much higher and they have not added a new HD channel since TNT HD almost 2 years ago. Scifi channel is also almost unwatchable due to the compression on digital cable.

I looked up Howell, MI on Comcast's site and no where did it say there was a $150.00 lease fee, the only time they charge a deposit is if you were late on paying the bill a few times in the last year.

Hahaha, one thing thats forgotten is that if you can go out into your front yard buck naked and sit in a lawn chair enjoying the sunset and not have any neighbors that can see you unless they have a telescope then chances are very good that your in the country and dont have access to cable. Some area's theres actual competition from cable and other services, here in michigan there is no atempts at competition aside from a commercial or two about comcast wanting you to ditch the dish.

bruce said:
I looked up Howell, MI on Comcast's site and no where did it say there was a $150.00 lease fee, the only time they charge a deposit is if you were late on paying the bill a few times in the last year.
Its not on their site. Its a franchise decision. I have never had Comcast before and my credit is near perfect (over 800). Call the local office if you don't believe me. They made me pay $150 for the first Motorola 6412 as a one time lease fee and wanted $150 for each additional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)