Overscan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys, since the new HDs have been launched, I seen a few folks mention "overscan"...what is that?

Overscan is the portion of the picture that is "cut off" around the edges of the screen by most home TVs. It was used in tube type TVs because the picture size could change with changes in line voltage, picture brightness, etc. With the overscan the picture would not shink smaller than the screen size if the power voltage dropped. It also hides uneven edges or closed caption info that might appear at the extream edges of the picture. Most TVs overscan 2-5%. Many of the newer flat panels and video projectors have an option to set the overscan to 0% so that you get 100% of the picture and the sharpest possible picture because the picture doesn't have to be scaled to fit the screen. I have mine set to 0% because the picture is slightly sharper, but I do get a thin white line at the left edge of the picture on NBC network shows. If I adjust the overscan to 1 or 2% the line is not seen.

Overscan is the portion of the picture that is "cut off" around the edges of the screen by most home TVs. It was used in tube type TVs because the picture size could change with changes in line voltage, picture brightness, etc. With the overscan the picture would not shink smaller than the screen size if the power voltage dropped. It also hides uneven edges or closed caption info that might appear at the extream edges of the picture. Most TVs overscan 2-5%. Many of the newer flat panels and video projectors have an option to set the overscan to 0% so that you get 100% of the picture and the sharpest possible picture because the picture doesn't have to be scaled to fit the screen. I have mine set to 0% because the picture is slightly sharper, but I do get a thin white line at the left edge of the picture on NBC network shows. If I adjust the overscan to 1 or 2% the line is not seen.

I too have a white data line across the top of my new Pioneer Elite, but it's only on certian channels and NOT on ALL shows on these channels....

I have been too lazy to adjust it, even though I know where the adjustments are.
If it happened on ALL channels I would have adjusted by now :)

Jimbo

I have a slight overscan on OTA, but it is worse with Directv (comparing the same channel). I haven't had any luck finding the service code for my Vizio P42HD or I would adjust it (hopefully it is a separate adjustment for each input).

I get the same thing on a number of the new HD channels. How do I fix that? Or...is there even a fix?

Status
Please reply by conversation.