P284 and Guide Problem

volfan615

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
I am still having guide problems even with version P284. I always leave the receiver in standby at night and have even started tuning it to a sat. channel before powering off. A couple of times in the last week when I press guide all of the channels display No Info and I can't even scroll through the guide. It's like it's just locked up. Of course a reboot fixes the problem but I shouldn't have to do this all the time.

Is anyone else having this problem?

volfan615 said:
I am still having guide problems even with version P284. I always leave the receiver in standby at night and have even started tuning it to a sat. channel before powering off. A couple of times in the last week when I press guide all of the channels display No Info and I can't even scroll through the guide. It's like it's just locked up. Of course a reboot fixes the problem but I shouldn't have to do this all the time.

volfan,

I had the same issue and posted it in another thread here. WJD, a supporter of this site gave me the suggestion to check all my cables to make sure i was using RG6 throughout the whole setup. I knew I had, but checked just in case. Come to find out, out of the 12 or so Coax cables that interconnect all this stuff, the one from my diplexer at the 811 to the OTA input of the 811 was not marked. It looked like RG6, but come to find out it was not. I found a short peice of true RG6 and replaced that line (took 2 minutes). i have not had the 'no info' bug again.

I was getting this bug 2-3 times daily and every morning when I turned on the unit. It required a soft re-boot as I could not even switch guides.

This may not be your issue, but it cant hurt to check.

oak

volfan615 said:

I've seen the same issue twice since the release. I've reported it and I believe it's a known issue, but I have no idea if/when it will be addressed. Although better than the BSOD & not as frequent, it still requires a reboot to get back in business.

volfan615 said:
This just hit me tonight :( One-fingered-reboot and it's back to "normal".

So, P285, anyone?

If you get this.. One thing you might want to try.. Close the EPG and bring it up several times and eventually i would get the download guide screen and it would update the guide and things would return to normal. I seem to seem it happen when scrolling through the guide quickly. Might be related.. might not.

I am experiencing a minor EPG issue that is NOT related to P284 as it has occurred in previous releases. Perhaps someone on this Forum has a suggestion.

My local PBS affiliate (Channel 9 - analog) multicasts on three DT subchannels. So the EPG on my 811 corrctly displays 3 channels: 9-01, 9-02 and 9-03.

9-01 transmits the national PBS HD feed 24 x 7
9-02 transmits kids programming 24 x 7
9-03 mirrors analog Channel 9

Here's the problem: All guide info for analog channel 9 always shows up under 9-02 when it should show up under 9-03. I have established e-mail contact with the Director of Engineering and he maintains that nothing is wrong at his end. He has received no complaints. I've removed and rescanned the DT channels countless times with no change.

Any ideas?????

That is the way things currently work. E* programers expected your -02 & -03 subchannels to be the opposite of what they are. (mirror should be on -02) There is nothing you can do.

n0qcu said:
That is the way things currently work. E* programers expected your -02 & -03 subchannels to be the opposite of what they are. (mirror should be on -02) There is nothing you can do.

Well, this should be a relatively minor thing to correct. Do you know how I might best bring this to their attention? Hopefully it could get incorporated into a later release. There's no way to go on like this indefinitely, especially as more DT sub-channels come on line.

Moman19 said:
Well, this should be a relatively minor thing to correct. Do you know how I might best bring this to their attention? Hopefully it could get incorporated into a later release. There's no way to go on like this indefinitely, especially as more DT sub-channels come on line.
Actually, there is no standard here, so Dish made an assumption that is true in most cases. Most of the sub-channels mirror in SD on -02. My PBS doesn't mirror in SD at all. What might be a good enhancement is to allow the user to map what sub-channel he wants the guide on.

mdonnelly said:
Actually, there is no standard here, so Dish made an assumption that is true in most cases. Most of the sub-channels mirror in SD on -02. My PBS doesn't mirror in SD at all. What might be a good enhancement is to allow the user to map what sub-channel he wants the guide on.

In light of the fact that there is no standard, you offer an excellent suggestion. How then, does this get communicated to Dish? Until a standard is developed (if ever) mirroring on the -02 for all broadcasters is truly arbitrary.

I have an 811 receiver also and have had program guide issues even with the 284 update. Some of the local high definition channels show a program guide and others do not. I live in Raleigh NC. I have been conversing with Mike Mory via email at WRAL, (CBS station 5.01 and FOX station 50.1, about the problem since these 2 networks show "Local Digital" instead of the program guide. ABC channel 11.1 and NBC channel 17.1 show a program guide. Mike spoke with an advanced customer service agent at DISH and was able to verify that the DISH 811 receiver does not read program guide information from the over the air digital channels. At WRAL they are currently the only over the air broadcaster that transmits their program schedule in their digital television signal. However only over the air receiver specific set top boxes are able to display the program guide information that they broadcast.

This may explain why some folks elsewhere experience the problem of not seeing a program guide for some of their local channels. It appears not to be a DISH network problem but a network issue.

John

This weekend I saw a new P284 "feature" that I haven't seen mentioned: I was watching OTA for a while and I pressed the "Guide" button. I saw the guide, but when I tried to scroll more than two hours into the future, the EPG wrapped back to the current time. I could scroll up or down through the channels, but they all behaved in a similar fashion. Also, the "Info" button was likewise confused; all it would return was information about the current programs, not what was selected in the Guide. Major Weirdness.

I tuned to a satellite channel for a while and the Guide seemed to return to normal. I haven't seen it since.

Yes, I had this exact same "wrap-around" problem happen to me last weekend. It has only happened to me that one time (so far). Of course, it happened while I was demo-ing my E* system to my brother-in-law D* customer :)

Anyway, I exited the EPG and brought it back up again, and everything was fine.

Gary

Foxbat said:
This weekend I saw a new P284 "feature" that I haven't seen mentioned: I was watching OTA for a while and I pressed the "Guide" button. I saw the guide, but when I tried to scroll more than two hours into the future, the EPG wrapped back to the current time. I could scroll up or down through the channels, but they all behaved in a similar fashion. Also, the "Info" button was likewise confused; all it would return was information about the current programs, not what was selected in the Guide. Major Weirdness.

I tuned to a satellite channel for a while and the Guide seemed to return to normal. I haven't seen it since.

I have the exact same problem, usually daily with my 811. Glad it is not just me, but it is something that needs to be fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)