Parts list for self made Superdish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JohnR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Topeka, Kansas
In anticipation of Dish adding Topeka locals sometime in the near future, I would like to be ready with an home made superdish. My assumption is that the locals will be put on the 105 sat. I would like to add a separate dish now to my setup (721 with Dish500).

Will you smart guys give me a parts list? I have read that others have used a Winegard 30" and a Ku LNBF. Which Ku Lnbf would be compatible with Dish 105 (or in the alternative 121(?))?

I understand that I will need a 34 switch too. Source?

I have looked at what the superdish with switch is going for on ebay and I bet I can do it cheaper than $250 (the going ebay rate).

I would appreciate your help with this project. All ideas and comments (except get D*; D* TiVo, etc.) are welcome.

Thanks in advance

JR

Well if u call dish agree to 1 year and auto credit card pay they will install the dish free of charge

lime4x4 said:
Well if u call dish agree to 1 year and auto credit card pay they will install the dish free of charge

Where's the fun in that?

The short supply is an issue for me too.

But thanks for the reply.

Legacy LNBs work good with the SW64, you could get 119/110/105 (or 121) on a SW64 to 4 recievers. If you are going DishPro I do not know of anyone having an LNB that is dishpro compatible. Now, all sorts of speculation of an eagle aspen working with DishPro, but no one has installed and tested it and posted here.

btbrossard said:
It will be free. It also won't be until sometime in the next decade :)
I think it really depends on the area. My SD was installed within 48 hours of them becoming available and ordering. One friend had his appointment within 1 week and another within 2 weeks. Try checking with local retailers instead of Dish directly. My local retailers all said that they could do the upgrade sooner then what Dish was telling many people in other areas (2-3 months).

JohnR:

A 30" dish will run about $40 + S&H, possibly cheaper on ebay.

A Dual Ku FSS LNBF is about 35 bucks. A single LNBF is less than $20, but will only work with one receiver.

A few questions for you:

1. How many receivers do you wish to feed?

2. What type of LNBF(s) are on your Dish 500?

For up to 4 receivers:

You can use a Dish 500 with two dual lnb's feeding inputs 1a,1b,2a,2b of an SW-64 switch. Then use a Winegard DS-2076 or a HotDish 75 antenna with a KU FSS Dual LNBF for 105 or 121. I used a Sky Vista Ku FSS Dual LNBF connected to SW-64 3a,3b inputs. Make sure the LNBF is linear polarized.

For 2 receivers or less:
If you have an Integrated Dish 500 Legacy LNBF, You can connect one of the D500 LNB outputs to input 1 of an SW-21 switch. Connect input 2 of SW-21 to an output of the 30" Dish LNBF. Connect the output of the SW-21 to the receiver. Use a second SW-21 for a second receiver, using the 2nd output of each LNB to feed the second SW-21.

Here's another way for no more than 2 receivers: If you have two dual legacy LNBF's, you can also use an SW-21X along with the SW-21 to handle the sat switching. Connect 119 to input 1 on SW-21X. Connect 110 to input 2 on SW-21X. Output of SW-21X connects to input 1 of SW-21. Output of 105 or 121 LNB connects to input 2 of SW-21. Output of SW-21 to receiver.

Hope this helps. There are likely other ways to do this, too. This will not work with DishPro LNB's or switches. You must use all legacy LNBF's / switches .There is not a Ku FSS LNBF that is compatible with DishPro equipement yet.

JohnR said:
In anticipation of Dish adding Topeka locals sometime in the near future, I would like to be ready with an home made superdish. My assumption is that the locals will be put on the 105 sat. I would like to add a separate dish now to my setup (721 with Dish500).

Will you smart guys give me a parts list? I have read that others have used a Winegard 30" and a Ku LNBF. Which Ku Lnbf would be compatible with Dish 105 (or in the alternative 121(?))?

I understand that I will need a 34 switch too. Source?

I have looked at what the superdish with switch is going for on ebay and I bet I can do it cheaper than $250 (the going ebay rate).

I would appreciate your help with this project. All ideas and comments (except get D*; D* TiVo, etc.) are welcome.

Thanks in advance

JR

I have only one receiver, a 721.

My Lnbf is a DishPro Twin.

Since there isn't a DishPro solution for this problem, I have arrived at the end of the trail on this. I understand that with the 721 (and maybe with other receivers) that there is no going back for the receiver after using DishPro equipment.

Thanks for the response.

JR

JohnR said:
I have only one receiver, a 721.

My Lnbf is a DishPro Twin.

Since there isn't a DishPro solution for this problem, I have arrived at the end of the trail on this. I understand that with the 721 (and maybe with other receivers) that there is no going back for the receiver after using DishPro equipment.

Thanks for the response.

JR

Dishpro recievers are backwards compatable with legacy LNBF's/Switches.

It's the other way around for legacy recievers (anything 4 digit 2800, 6000, 3800, etc).

So, unless you need the dishpro tech for 100+ foot wire runs.. then swap out to a legacy Twin... run with it, I'd like to see if it could happen.

bcshields said:
Dishpro recievers are backwards compatable with legacy LNBF's/Switches.

It's the other way around for legacy recievers (anything 4 digit 2800, 6000, 3800, etc).

So, unless you need the dishpro tech for 100+ foot wire runs.. then swap out to a legacy Twin... run with it, I'd like to see if it could happen.

Oh Boy! Sounds like fun and spring is on the way. Need to get my hands on two legacy lnbf's (My old ones are pointed further east and watch "Hockey Night Canada" alot. Also need to get another SW21, since that is in use elsewhere too.

I may add this project to the mix within a month or two. Topeka locals are rumored to be "on" in early April 2003....so that means they should be on by Christmas....Have to get to work on this project before the snow flies (again).

Thanks for all the responses. I will let you know how it goes.

JR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts