Paying for WPIX, not getting it

nyrfan1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
San Francisco
Well here is a good one. I am paying for WPIX New York which is grandfathered to me. There is a dispute with them, but DISH will not give me for the money I am paying for that channel. I cannot discontinue it as I will never be able to get it back. Why no refund for monthly fee. They say I am out of offers?????

Since they do not need consent to broadcast the superstations I am not sure why we lost it at all.

Reactions: pattykay
Since they do not need consent to broadcast the superstations I am not sure why we lost it at all.
The exact same thing happened, with the exact same superstation, during Dish's dispute with Tribune, back when Tribune still owned WPIX. The reasoning speculated here at the time was that it was simply easier for Dish to take the station away from everyone who was receiving it, rather than risk accidentally leaving it authorized on the account of any viewer in the NYC DMA where it does require consent. That dispute dragged on so long (and affected three superstations) so that Dish finally felt that it was worth it to take the effort to restore those stations for superstation subscribers, while taking care to leave them turned off for in-market subscribers. This current dispute is fast approaching the length of the previous dispute at the time that those stations were restored. So, with a little patience, you may soon get WPIX back even if the dispute is still not resolved. Then, when the total number of days that you spent without WPIX is known, you can call Dish asking for a prorated refund of the exact amount that you should be owed for those days without service.

The exact same thing happened, with the exact same superstation, during Dish's dispute with Tribune, back when Tribune still owned WPIX. The reasoning speculated here at the time was that it was simply easier for Dish to take the station away from everyone who was receiving it, rather than risk accidentally leaving it authorized on the account of any viewer in the NYC DMA where it does require consent. That dispute dragged on so long (and affected three superstations) so that Dish finally felt that it was worth it to take the effort to restore those stations for superstation subscribers, while taking care to leave them turned off for in-market subscribers. This current dispute is fast approaching the length of the previous dispute at the time that those stations were restored. So, with a little patience, you may soon get WPIX back even if the dispute is still not resolved. Then, when the total number of days that you spent without WPIX is known, you can call Dish asking for a prorated refund of the exact amount that you should be owed for those days without service.
Dish said no, you are out of offers!!!!!!

Superstations cost has not gone up one penny in all these years so losing WPIX (hopefully just for awhile) monetarily is not a concern. In fact I hope people don't give DISH a hard time over this or I can envision them just dropping the package for those of us Grandfathered.

Superstations cost has not gone up one penny in all these years so losing WPIX (hopefully just for awhile) monetarily is not a concern. In fact I hope people don't give DISH a hard time over this or I can envision them just dropping the package for those of us Grandfathered.
Many moons ago..WPIX carried alot of sports...now its just a CW affliate with an occasional baseball game...not much to really complain about

Dish said no, you are out of offers!!!!!!
I have been to that point on my account, where Dish would not offer me anything, either. So trust me when I say that this status does not last forever. You may have to wait a few months without calling Dish or bugging them about anything. Then, after that, you should be able to at least get a prorated refund for a service that is only $2 per month, which was not actually being delivered. I think Dish's concern is that if they agree to credit you for two months of service ($4 total) and then the dispute only lasts one month and one week (for example) then that means that Dish over-credited you, with no easy way to charge you again for the amount that was over-credited. Yes, Dish can be that vindictive and penny-pinching. When the dispute is over, and the exact number of days for which you are owed a credit is a known fact, then it should be easier to convince Dish to give you a refund for that exact amount.

The grandfathering itself is an odd thing, since there is nothing in the copyright license that required Dish to stop selling superstations or to grandfather existing subscribers. It was simply a business decision that came out of the blue, with no real advance notice or warning (except for people who read the announcement on this site) and was implemented on an arbitrary date of Dish's choosing. (It is possible that the owners of the stations demanded these terms, as a condition for allowing continued delivery of their stations to in-market subscribers. The point is that it is still a condition that was privately negotiated, not one that was required by law.)

I think that Dish has been quietly trying to phase out the superstations ever since then, so they can reclaim that CONUS bandwidth for something else. They do not want to have a mass shut-off of superstations all at once, which would tick off a whole lot of customers and generate bad publicity. However, as existing customers voluntarily leave Dish, or at least voluntarily cancel their superstation subscriptions, it may eventually get to the point where so few people would be affected by their removal that Dish could easily drop them without blinking or giving it a second thought. So, I think that Dish hopes that disputes like this one drag on long enough that all of the existing grandfathered subscribers simply choose to drop their subscription and stop paying for the superstation.

If enough grandfathered subscribers start bugging Dish asking for refunds, while refusing to drop their subscription due to their grandfathered status, then that will force Dish to do the right thing, just to make the complaints go away. At that point, Dish will either bring back WPIX without retransmission consent (using the superstation copyright license) or Dish will start automatically crediting that charge back to subscribers' bills. If not enough people complain, then Dish will simply continue charging people for a service that is not being delivered, since nobody is trying hard enough to stop Dish from doing so.

Nope. They will not do any of that extra work. They will do away with the package imo. It's possible if WPIX is never coming back they might lower the cost to everyone who gets it via Superstations but that's not my bet.

Nope. They will not do any of that extra work. They will do away with the package imo. It's possible if WPIX is never coming back they might lower the cost to everyone who gets it via Superstations but that's not my bet.
Okay, I see your point now about the superstation package, for those who have all of the superstations bundled together. There was no guarantee of a specific number of channels in the package, and the bundle price is already a slight discount compared to the cost of buying each station individually. (Also, as you mentioned, there has been no price increase to the package since well before Dish stopped offering it to new subscribers, even though the price of almost everything else has gone up since then.) So, I could see the price of the package staying the same, even with one fewer channel.

However, for those who subscribe specifically to WPIX a-la-carte by itself for $2 per month (which is what it sounds like the OP is saying) then there is absolutely no excuse for Dish to continue charging that price as a line item monthly while the service is no longer being delivered.

By the way, Dish had the perfect opportunity to bring back WPIX temporarily at least, during the truce that brought back all of the other Scripps stations on the eastern seaboard when those cities were in the path of a hurricane / tropical storm. That same tropical storm also hit New York City. So, the fact that WPIX did not return, even for in-market subscribers, speaks volumes about the chances of it ever returning as a superstation, or at all. :(

Reactions: Tampa8
The grandfathering itself is an odd thing, since there is nothing in the copyright license that required Dish to stop selling superstations or to grandfather existing subscribers. It was simply a business decision that came out of the blue, with no real advance notice or warning (except for people who read the announcement on this site) and was implemented on an arbitrary date of Dish's choosing. (It is possible that the owners of the stations demanded these terms, as a condition for allowing continued delivery of their stations to in-market subscribers. The point is that it is still a condition that was privately negotiated, not one that was required by law.)

I think that Dish has been quietly trying to phase out the superstations ever since then, so they can reclaim that CONUS bandwidth for something else. They do not want to have a mass shut-off of superstations all at once, which would tick off a whole lot of customers and generate bad publicity. However, as existing customers voluntarily leave Dish, or at least voluntarily cancel their superstation subscriptions, it may eventually get to the point where so few people would be affected by their removal that Dish could easily drop them without blinking or giving it a second thought. So, I think that Dish hopes that disputes like this one drag on long enough that all of the existing grandfathered subscribers simply choose to drop their subscription and stop paying for the superstation.

If enough grandfathered subscribers start bugging Dish asking for refunds, while refusing to drop their subscription due to their grandfathered status, then that will force Dish to do the right thing, just to make the complaints go away. At that point, Dish will either bring back WPIX without retransmission consent (using the superstation copyright license) or Dish will start automatically crediting that charge back to subscribers' bills. If not enough people complain, then Dish will simply continue charging people for a service that is not being delivered, since nobody is trying hard enough to stop Dish from doing so.
The problem is that dish thumbed their nose at the copyright law for distant locals..and the lawsuits that followed

The problem is that dish thumbed their nose at the copyright law for distant locals..and the lawsuits that followed
Superstations were never part of those lawsuits. Also, there were no changes to the copyright law or lawsuits against Dish (that I am aware of) at the time when Dish's policy regarding the superstations changed.

Superstations were never part of those lawsuits. Also, there were no changes to the copyright law or lawsuits against Dish (that I am aware of) at the time when Dish's policy regarding the superstations changed.
Its deeper than that...the superstations have been pulled before during disputes...the question is..why were they discontinued for sale after the last stella or whatever the satellite local reautherization bill was passed?..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
Its deeper than that...the superstations have been pulled before during disputes...the question is..why were they discontinued for sale after the last stella or whatever the satellite local reautherization bill was passed?..
Yes, that would be the question. Dish stopped offering the superstations to new subscribers in September 2013 (if memory serves) but the STELAR (I think I have that acronym right) was not passed until late 2014. The previous STELA from 2010 did not make any changes to the status of the superstations. Even if the 2010 version had made those changes, a period of well over three years was a ridiculously long time to wait before implementing them. So, the question remains, what happened? Perhaps there was some behind-the-scenes maneuvering in preparation for the 2014 STELAR. In other words, perhaps Congress was threatening to tighten the regulations on superstations, unless Dish agreed to do so themselves, voluntarily.

Yes, that would be the question. Dish stopped offering the superstations to new subscribers in September 2013 (if memory serves) but the STELAR (I think I have that acronym right) was not passed until late 2014. The previous STELA from 2010 did not make any changes to the status of the superstations. Even if the 2010 version had made those changes, a period of well over three years was a ridiculously long time to wait before implementing them. So, the question remains, what happened? Perhaps there was some behind-the-scenes maneuvering in preparation for the 2014 STELAR. In other words, perhaps Congress was threatening to tighten the regulations on superstations, unless Dish agreed to do so themselves, voluntarily.
Look at the fcc link on supersations..4th or 5th one down

Look at the fcc link on supersations..4th or 5th one down

This link? file:///C:/Users/prodr/AppData/Local/Temp/6011155921-1.pdf

So, a threat that Echostar (then owner of Dish Network) allegedly made in 2000, in response to regulatory changes made by SHVIA in 1999, took Dish 13 years to implement. That is even more ridiculous than I thought. That being said, it is probably true. :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts