PBJ

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I was excited when Luken's PBJ channel debuted in 2011. With access to Classic Media's programming, this new channels certainly dog, had a lot of potential. During the first f months, I watched episodes of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, The Archies, Groovie Goolies, Lassie, Mr. Magoo, Sergeant Preston and even some old Harvey Toons that I watched as a kid.

As we head into 2016, the channel will soon be celebrating their 5th anniversary. However, the channel STILL airs the SAME programming and the SAME episodes as it did back in 2011.

It would be great if this channel could redo their lineup and add some of my childhood favorites such as Rocky & Bullwinkle, Fractured Fairy Tales, Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, Popeye, Speed Buggy, Hong Kong Phooey, Speed Racer, Wait Til Your Father Gets Home, etc.

Honestly I just dont see them sticking money into it. Looking at rabbitears they have 29 affiliates (one is part time) and its mainly on low powered stations.(9 of which are owned by digital networks...which is Luken)

Most of those that you list may be under other contracts that Luken can't obtain yet

Honestly I just dont see them sticking money into it. Looking at rabbitears they have 29 affiliates (one is part time) and its mainly on low powered stations.(9 of which are owned by digital networks...which is Luken)

Most of those that you list may be under other contracts that Luken can't obtain yet

This is what I was thinking. Probably the same reason why Retro TV doesn't get better programming. It all costs $$$.

I wonder if Classic Media has also licensed their library to a few other networks, as it seems like many of those shows are also being scheduled on the various Sky Angel networks (Angel 1 & 2, KTV) as well as LeSea's FETV & WHF, and I think one or two might have shown on Blue Highways TV as well.

I don't see how Luken is hanging on with MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, This, etc.. As competition. That being said, there seems to be a void to fill with a sub-network geared to children's programming, you'd think they would recognize this, and pour most of their resources into PBJ.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The advertising rules for kids programming are so onerous that most networks now avoid kids programming other than required E/I. Luken, for example, doesn't do any advertising at all during E/I, only PSAs. PBJ is considered to be just a specific type of classic programming.

- Trip

I do not think that Luken has any money to stick into this or any other channel they own.

Reactions: Mr Tony
On the contrary, in addition to Retro, they launched Rev'n not so long ago and have been adding programming to it, and the same for Heartland.

PBJ, FGO, and some of the others are probably just harder to sell, so why put so much money into them?

- Trip

The advertising rules for kids programming are so onerous that most networks now avoid kids programming other than required E/I. Luken, for example, doesn't do any advertising at all during E/I, only PSAs. PBJ is considered to be just a specific type of classic programming.

- Trip
Perfect example of the rule of unintended consequences. We created regulations to "protect" kids from advertising and, instead of that leading to OTA kids programming that complies with the regulations, it's simply led to a lack of OTA kids programming all together (other than the E/I stuff). I remember loving Sat. morning cartoons and after-school cartoon as a kid. Now that stuff is pretty much just on dedicated cable networks or on streaming services.

Not that they actively market it anymore (at all) but Ion stations still carry Qubo. At this point, I'm inclined to think Qubo merely exists to carry a bunch of E/I shows so that Ion can run the customary suite of 24/7 shopping channels, without interrupting them for E/I programming. It's a shame because it does seem to be an underserved niche. http://www.qubo.com/schedule

Reactions: kozmo104
Not that they actively market it anymore (at all) but Ion stations still carry Qubo. At this point, I'm inclined to think Qubo merely exists to carry a bunch of E/I shows so that Ion can run the customary suite of 24/7 shopping channels, without interrupting them for E/I programming. It's a shame because it does seem to be an underserved niche. http://www.qubo.com/schedule

Qubo is great my 4 year old son watches it every day. I just wish they had different show variety and some of they shows need to be on at different times.

Reactions: jegrant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts