PBS anyone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There are a few reasons. 1 is that they don't want to use the satellite space yet. Hopefully this will change soon. The second is that there are not that many local PBS channels broadcasting in HD. Even in a pretty big city like Atlanta, the local PBS determind they could not afford to pay for the HD feeds so they aren't broadcasting in HD. Hopefully this will change in the future. You're right about the content!

lakebum431 said:
.....Even in a pretty big city like Atlanta, the local PBS determind they could not afford to pay for the HD feeds so they aren't broadcasting in HD. Hopefully this will change in the future. You're right about the content!
In KY, maybe to help reduce costs, they share 6 digital channels of PBS across the state. HD is on KET4 for 3 hours at night. Looks great OTA !

http://www.ket.org/watch/stations_ket4.htm

http://www.wcvn.org/dtv/programs.htm

Last edited:
I don't know why Dish isn't providing much local HD. We have way too many digital PBS stations here in SF and I think one thats HD 24/7. I really want to set up an HD antenna right now but it seems too complicated to get the cable through the house.

WCET Cincinnati has PBS HD on all the time. The HD channel is at half resolution most of the time with a DIY type channel (CrEaTe) and CET Kids taking up the other half of the bandwidth. During prime time they drop one or the other sub-channels for higher resolution on CET HD. But at no time does the standard Def programming on WCET 48 show on WCET HD. It is "another" channel.

See ya
Tony

Oklahoma has PBS HD around the clock now. They use to alternate days with 1 hd or 4 multiplexed sd channels. But it never matches OETA's programming. They have been working on a new statewide master control for years now. Who knows what we will get when that is finished.

Interesting to hear some of the places that don't have it. Here in the Charlotte area, I can pickup up three different PBS-HD feeds in the area via OTA. Two are 24/7 and another is part-time. I wouldn't say the PQ is exactly stunning though on any of them.

In PBS cities where they do not broadcast the the PBSHD channel, DISH I think is able to pick up that feed and broadcast it nationally. There is a fee that PBS probably would charge. I know they charge the locals who do carry it and that is why many had to drop it.

lakebum431 said:
Even in a pretty big city like Atlanta, the local PBS determind they could not afford to pay for the HD feeds so they aren't broadcasting in HD. Hopefully this will change in the future. You're right about the content!
That's because WPBA is run by the Atlanta Board of Education on a shoestring budget, heck they even turn the channel off in the wee hours...
You pretty much have to tune into Georgia Public Broadcasting (ran by the state) for anything decent.

Pbs Hd

It is disappointing that the PBS HD channel isn't being carried, since it is (in most places) going to be the only local broadcaster that is hd/widescreen 24 hours a day. I get it ota, but of course it is listed as "local digital" in my guide....but that's a whole 'nother thread.

pbshd

I am getting it here in the PacNW, course I'm on Wave cable.

So...I guess that doesn't count, except to say that pbshd does exist.

I am sure that it is a national feed and not local.
:)

I'm still thinking of coming back to dish network tho.

regards,
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts