Pbs Hd?

rinkerr

Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so here goes...

It seems that when E* puts up HD Locals, they include the big-4 networks, but not PBS. It seems like PBS has been rather diligent in getting HD up and going (maybe because they get gov't. support to do so!), and some of the content looks pretty good, so why not PBS HD?

Since there isn't quite so much the "politics" involved with PBS local stations, couldn't there be a national HD PBS feed, much like the current PBS-U national SD feed?

- Bob

Cmon now BFG, I get PBS HD national feed on the QAM channels on my cable system (not offerred to those with a STB) and OTA. I find the programming on alot of the shows is just like History or Discovery Science. Very well done and it looks stellar in HD.

But all my local PBS does for OTA is just feed the national HD feed and local feed on subchannels, it doesn't do it's own HD so if most areas are like mine, it's not that they are forgetting the HD feed, it's just that there isn't one. As for why we all can't have the national PBS feed, I don't know. What I can speculate on is the HD feed for me is only on at night, not during the day so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think the original poster has a great idea with the national PBS feed. For my money, PBS has some of the best HD programming I've seen, and I'd venture to say they probably have one of the largest libraries of high quality HD programming and produce more original HD programming than almost any other network. As already mentioned, programs featured on PBS would often be equally at home on Discovery HD. I wonder why this hasn't already been done...seems like a no-brainer.

SatinKzo said:
But all my local PBS does for OTA is just feed the national HD feed and local feed on subchannels, it doesn't do it's own HD so if most areas are like mine, it's not that they are forgetting the HD feed, it's just that there isn't one. As for why we all can't have the national PBS feed, I don't know. What I can speculate on is the HD feed for me is only on at night, not during the day so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think it all depends on what your states PBS wishes to spend their programming dollars on. Here in SD the digital feed normally carries national PBS-HD on subchannel .1 and the analog feed on .2 24 hours a day. NE I think normally has 3 SD feeds during the day (one being the same as the analog feed). At 7:00pm they switch on the national HD feed on the .5 subchannel with .2 being the same as the analog feed. The other subchannels go dark. During the day the .6 subchannel will also scan in but it's dark, I'm guessing it's a data channel of some sort.

PBS does not want a National HD feed. Then local channels must pay for the HD feed and they cannot hold beg-a-thons if no one is watching.

Besides that, for a $200 one time investment, you can get the same PBS highbandwidth HD Distribution feed that all the local PBS stations are getting at a bitrate of around 17.50Mbps for the video that will now blow anything that E* or D* is delivering now that they have gone HD-LITE with HDNET without your local stations logo all over it and their starved bitrate for local multicasting.....so why bother?

Last edited:
I was dissapointed not to get my local PBS (KCET-Los Angeles) in HD from E*. We always found there HD programming to be some of the best around, and always looked great with Charter HD (until we moved a few miles where our entire cable service went to crap). Considering that every other local major network station looks fine through E*, I'm having a hard time justifying the investment in OTA to only add PBS.

-m

mitchfx said:
Considering that every other local major network station looks fine through E*, I'm having a hard time justifying the investment in OTA to only add PBS.

How about "The CW" and "MyNetworkTV" as the other two semi-major channels not to be on E*. "The CW" looks to be a pretty decent network with the combination of WB and UPN programming. That, and a redundant system for getting the OTA networks, is enough for me to keep the antenna up for a while.

I hear ya! Although I wont be installing an OTA antenna right away, rest assured I'll be running a extra coax cable thru the floor behind my entertainment center before all the woodwork gets put in place...just in case!

;)

Pbs Hd =

:) I get pbs HD OTA and its great, lots of good content and awesome PQ. If you like shows like Nova, Frontline, and nature specials its the channel for you. I give it two thumbs way up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)