Phase III...

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
No one started a thread yet for the additions in May?

Is the magic date still May 12 (I know E14 comes online on the 21st.)?

No one started a thread yet for the additions in May?

Is the magic date still May 12 (I know E14 comes online on the 21st.)?

E-14 isn't going to add that much bandwidth to the CONUS picture. They will go from 5/6 FEC to 7/8 on some TP's. Here's how they could pack it in between 110/119.

5 TPs for spots for 119 on E7 now, 5 TPs for spots for E14 (capable of more but not the current plan). So even steven here.

TP 2 on 119 is empty right now. This will stay this way until the xfer. It could be used afterwards. So that's one full TP gained.

There's 14 CONUS TPs running in QPSK 5/6 mode. One is for AAD so cut that one out. 13 left. Change them to 7/8 due to more power on E14 and you gain 26 megabits or so. FYI..8PSK 2/3 is around 41 megabits.

119 TP 20 has some overflow locals that wouldn't fit on beams, these could go to beams(haven't checked maps to confirm). This frees up 5 or 6 SD channel slots.

110 TP 22 has 9 overflow locals (Denver and Chicago SD locals)... these could go to beams...but will they is the question.

We should have started counting phases when Dish was formed and now we would be to phase 32,189 probably. Or maybe if we had started counting when the first HD came online we would be to 52 or should we deduct 15 when they removed Voom.

Looks like Phase III will be next week on May 5th. And so far the only one I have heard that is definate is QVC-HD. However Outdoor Channel HD and RFDTV HD are up in testing so I can only hope we will see those ones too. :)

Looks like Phase III will be next week on May 5th. And so far the only one I have heard that is definate is QVC-HD. However Outdoor Channel HD and RFDTV HD are up in testing so I can only hope we will see those ones too. :)

QVC is the one that we are sitting on the edge of our seats waitng for :)

I will be happy to see RFD HD, various of my acquaintances keep telling me how great some of the country music shows are. I wonder what a Porter Wagoner show from about 1973 will look like in HD? Probably not bad, I know he had Dolly Parton on as a regular for a long time. (Disclosure: I also watch RFD occasionally in SD, so I am somewhat familiar with the programming.:))

Regards,
Fitzie

I could say something like "If Dish never got ESPNU-HD I wouldn't care" but I won't because I realize that there are many people who would like that channel.

Similarly, there are people (like me) who would look forward quite a bit to RFD-TVHD and, to a lesser extent, QVC-HD. I hope those channels come sooner rather than later (and am a bit disappointed that RFD might not launch next week) but, really, can those of us who are class-1 subscribers (i.e. those who have EA or WA setups) really complain given all the new national HD we've gotten recently?

Last edited:
Based upon the expected date it will occur May 5=Cinco de Mayo, I would venture to guess that Univision, Telefutura and/or Telemundo would be added in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)