phone line charge

BruceE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
If you own your Dish receivers do you have to have them connected to a phone line to avoid an extra charge.

Thanks,
Bruce

Yup, as BFG said, "only 2 room receivers," which does not apply to all dual tuner receivers. The 721 and 921 are dual tuner but only for 1 room. The fee applies whether you own or lease.

Absolutely. All dual tuner units.

Some have had success using wireless (data grade) or VoIP. No provision for cell phones or regular internet. Yet.

There are also DVR fees, but these can be avoided by subscribing to HD Platinum or the Everything Pack.

because they're giving you 2 rooms for the price of one. The 2nd room's fee is waived as a courtesy when you plug it into a phone line

Two rooms for the price of one, sounds like a crock of soup to me. You may just be using PIP in one room. :D

Also, I believe you pay extra for 2 independent receivers too, if they don't cut you off. And like the others, it don't matter if you own or lease.

:) i am not saying your wrong I'm just questioning why they want to force the phone issue on dual tuners and not singels? its not like a dvr fee its got something to do with audits and verifying where the receiver is. or at least that's my guess. by stacking duel's its even cheaper and hides how many TVs you are actually using. when i ordered the VIP622 they asked me specifically where in the house it would be and if a second TV would be hooked up to it and where that TVs location is. they said i must notify them if i move eather connection. this if i remember is something directv does label the boxes to a certain location.

My thoughts exactly, "don't make sense" but "does make cents" :)

I don't think I had all of those questions, but am suspecting that they were building a database on you to understand where everything is in case they needed to help you, in the unlikely event you did not know something.:)

Also, when I had DirecTV here not long ago, DirecTV wanted to know where each receiver was so that they could disable the correct receiver when they sent you out a replacement. You would not have to give them the serial number or any of the other numbers associated with the box.

EDIT: Easier to say the receiver in the Living Room, Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Barn, or maybe at the neighbors house.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts