Phone line needed for Receivers?

stevegd007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
San Deigo, Southern Calif.
I am considering dropping my land line phone. Currently my phone line is hooked to both my Dish Receivers. I also have Internet hooked to both receivers. Dish was or still is charging a fee if you do not have a phone line hook up. But with a Internet setup, also hooked up to the Dish Receiver...do I really "need" to keep a phone line setup?

No. The phone line charge was dropped long ago. And with Internet, another no need. However, you will lose caller ID.

Hi, you do not need to have your phone line connected to your receiver. The promotion we had that did give customers a monthly credit for keeping their receivers connected expired over a year ago. Have a good night!

You beat me KAB!!:cool: LOL

maryb@Dish Network said:
Hi, you do not need to have your phone line connected to your receiver. The promotion we had that did give customers a monthly credit for keeping their receivers connected expired over a year ago. Have a good night!

You beat me KAB!!:cool: LOL

That wasn't a promotion, that was a hidden price increase for customers who did not have a phone line connected, as the advertised price was assuming a phone line would be connected.

What's interesting to know is that there are still customers out there who are paying the $5 "Tv 2 connection fee" even though the charge want away almost 2 years ago for new customers.

I have had Dish for more than 10 years with three receivers and have always kept a phone line connected to avoid the hassle of having to deal with the audit team. Do I understand it is no longer a requirement to keep the phone line connected to each receiver? If I remove it will there be any repercussion from the audit department? My receivers are older ones (ones an original) that don't have Internet connectivity.

It would be great if I could ditch the landline as I don't use it for anything else other than the Dish receivers and I don't buy pay per view so if I could get rid of it I could save save a few bucks a month.

I have had Dish for more than 10 years with three receivers and have always kept a phone line connected to avoid the hassle of having to deal with the audit team. Do I understand it is no longer a requirement to keep the phone line connected to each receiver? If I remove it will there be any repercussion from the audit department? My receivers are older ones (ones an original) that don't have Internet connectivity.

It would be great if I could ditch the landline as I don't use it for anything else other than the Dish receivers and I don't buy pay per view so if I could get rid of it I could save save a few bucks a month.

Just curious, is a phone line or broadband connection the only thing needed to prevent the auditors from calling when you have multiple boxes? If so then I assume Dish just verifies all boxes have the same Caller ID or the same External IP address when connecting to Dish, but using Proxy servers or VoIP would allow multiple boxes in multiple locations to have the same Caller ID or External IP... so I'd assume any customer with multiple boxes would get audited at some point since there's no fool proof way to verify this any other way.

Also is it worth paying the $30/month or more for a phone line just to prevent the calls? Seems like it might be worth saving the cash on a POTS line for the inconvenience of calls from the auditors, given they're just once or twice a year.

Just curious, is a phone line or broadband connection the only thing needed to prevent the auditors from calling when you have multiple boxes? If so then I assume Dish just verifies all boxes have the same Caller ID or the same External IP address when connecting to Dish, but using Proxy servers or VoIP would allow multiple boxes in multiple locations to have the same Caller ID or External IP... so I'd assume any customer with multiple boxes would get audited at some point since there's no fool proof way to verify this any other way.

Also is it worth paying the $30/month or more for a phone line just to prevent the calls? Seems like it might be worth saving the cash on a POTS line for the inconvenience of calls from the auditors, given they're just once or twice a year.

I have DISH's VIP922/wMT2 and 3-VIP211ks in my bedrooms.I have them all tied together with broadband using DISH's Sling Turbo Homeplug Adaptor.I can log in to My DISH Account and verify under My Equipment, DISH can see all my receivers through the Homeplug.

All of DISH's VIP receivers have the DishComm technology built in so all you have to do is plug the DISH receiver directly into the wall socket(never plug into a surge suppressor),plug in the Homeplug Adaptor and you can connect your receivers up through broadband.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)