Phone problem with 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gip

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I am a telephone tech and had a call from a customer that when her phone rings, her picture freezes and then the thing reboots. Dish sent her another receiver and(722) she says it does the same thing. I did witness this and wondered if anyone knew what might be going on. I know the phone can't cause this by itself and there would be nothing I could do if it did, as the phone line is fine and another receiver(a 222) is fine. Thanks.

Sure the phone line could do it. It could be a receiver grounding problem, but could also be a phone grounding issue.

You didn't mention whether the customer is using DSL. If so could it be inadequate trapping or something going nonlinear on the higher-voltage ring? I've not seen it on my DSL but I'm seldom downloading and thus using the Ethernet and the ringer current on my wireless phone is likely lower than a "real" phone. Some thoughts.
-Ken

IF, they have DSL, I would make sure that a filter IS on the line, if it is, change it and see if that helps.

IF no DSL, it could be a number of things ...
Does it happen every time ?
If so, unplug the phone cord from the recvr and see if it still happens, if so it's not the phone line itself.
Q, is there a cross on the line by chance, giving the sub too much voltage on the line ?
You said the line is fine, but many times you can have trouble on the line and not sound like it.

Phone lines carry about 48volts DC when sitting still. When they ring, a 90VAC 20Hz waveform is overlayed. My guess would be an issue with the wiring in the home or the phone wire such that the wire expected to be the common or ground is not, which corrupts the ground plane inside the receiver. I would have expected Dish to have isolated the telephone jack from the rest of the system to avoid such issues, but apparently not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)