pic quality Sunday ticket vs locals then prime?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mots-a

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
ok I have noticed the past few weeks , when I watch the red zone or any of the ticket games my picture is awsome but when I switch to my local game the picture is horrible, like a 4 out of 10, yes in hd, then when the night game comes on Sunday Monday or Thursday the picture is awsome again 10 out of 10?

I'm in the dc area with a 44.

thanks
t

ok I have noticed the past few weeks , when I watch the red zone or any of the ticket games my picture is awsome but when I switch to my local game the picture is horrible, like a 4 out of 10, yes in hd, then when the night game comes on Sunday Monday or Thursday the picture is awsome again 10 out of 10?

I'm in the dc area with a 44.

thanks
t

Do you have OTA antenna to look at as well ?
If so, I would look at your locals on the OTA set up and see how it looks and compare them ...

I don't have ota the ota would cost me to much where I'm at 20832, why would ota be better then a feed from dtv? also when Sunday night football (nbc4) comes on my picture is great , it's almost like its a bandwidth issue from dtv,

( if someone could guarantee a affordable ota I would buy it)

It could be that Directv is allowing more bandwidth on the Ticket channels than they do they local. Therefore less compression.

As far as OTA, generally they are going to look better than the Directv/Dish/Cable feed because of what? Compression :)

It could be that Directv is allowing more bandwidth on the Ticket channels than they do they local. Therefore less compression.

As far as OTA, generally they are going to look better than the Directv/Dish/Cable feed because of what? Compression :)

You also have to remember that your local channels are sharing bandwidth on a single transponder that is beamed into your area. On the 6 channels that are allocated (depending on market) 2 of those are running NFL football which is high bandwidth. All of those channels share bandwidth of the transponder and bandwidth is statistically muxed to give programs that have increased bandwidth needs the bandwith first. The problem is that when you get too many programs that have high bandwidth needs then the bandwidth will get cut. For instance if you have NFL on CBS, and FOX. NBA on ABC and Nascar on NBC, that will cause problems as there is no extra bandwidth to spare and PQ looks like crap. When Sunday night rolls around NBC has Football on, but CBS, ABC, FOX, ect all have talking heads type programming that doesn't need as much, so their bandwidth can be sacrificed and still look good and given to NFL.
Sunday ticket is different because its over multiple transponders versus a single transponder beamed to your town. So that will look better than your locals. PQ is directv's biggest priority and maximizing bandwidth, but when you run out, you have to allocate with what you have. It's just the nature of the beast.

Local OTA is almost always as good OR BETTER than paid services. That being said, it's really up to the local channel how their picture looks. I have 3 CBS channels and often they show the same game, but all 3 look and sound different. My local NBC is pretty good on SNF but I have seen some NBC affiliates that should not be allowed to show football. Local TV is a crap shoot and hopefully locals that can't get their act together will be sold to cell phone companies for bandwidth. When it comes to TV, less is more.

I find that when using Directv, I dont mind watching or recording the locals as much, but when I have Dish I tend to use OTA more, just due to compression.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NHL Freeview Oct 1-19

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts