Picture getting worse...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Ok, I got Dish installed on the 22nd of Dec and at first the picture was awesome accept for some normal garbage from using coax instead of s-video. Over the next week or so it seemed to slowly decrease in quality to the point that I noticed it on most everything I was watching. Now, the picture is getting so bad that in some parts of shows I can hardly tell what in the world is going on.

Now, I have heard some say that this is normal due to the compression of the signal from Dish yet it seems to me that it wouldnt really get so much worse in such a short period of time. So I am wondering, could there be something wrong with my box/dish/install/signal?

Btw, the worst I have ever seen it was just a few min ago on TBS when watching twister. Everytime a twister came on screen it almost got sick cause it looked like the whole picture was spinning from all the pixilation.

Oh, incase the information is needed ... I am getting these problems on all channels I am watching. Some are worse than others but it doesnt matter weather its HBO, Stars, or locals. They are all basically aweful. I also know that most of these problems are due to SD vs. HD but with how aweful everything is its hard to believe that SD is really supposed to be like this.

Thx in advance :)

If you had another television to try it on then you could compare them. I think some televisions shows pixellation worse than what other televisions do.

Well, I cant be 100% sure but I am thinking in this case it isnt the tv. The main reason I think that is because the pixilation is worse of diff channels. Its not like its one steady stream of bad pixilation. If that makes sense :)

Hmm, maybe the receiver has an issue with it. Does it do it on both tuners or just one of the tuners? Do you have any other receivers at your house that you can connect to that television?

Just the 522. Atm I am in single mode so I never know which tuner I am on but I THINK it does it both.

sounds like the dish is not tuned in properly.....getting poor signal strength if it is happening on all channels.

I dunno about that either. I WAS having signal problems but have since had a tech come out to fix those issues. Atm, the lowest signal str. on any transponder is 94 and the highest is 105.

Pixelization is an indication of high error rate. One can have a stong signal, but high errors if the lnb is going bad; if the cable is not RG6; if a surge supressor is protecting the sat feed and it is not good up to 2160mhz. Also, be sure to check signal on both even and odd transponders. Bad cable will let one pass but not the stacked side.

Take a look at this post and if it what you're looking at is 'blockiness caused by compression' that what I've been told that's normal for Dish. I also have a 522 (been replaced once already) and most of the channels look like this to some degree on my 32" flat screen using the S video cable. It's not as noticeable on my other 2 TV's (27" and 20" round tubes) using the coax jacks. Believe me, I have really complained about this to the installation company and they said there's nothing they can do about it. Except upgrade to an HDTV and HD receiver (how's THAT for a sales pitch and service?)

Well, I looked at the pictures and the only one it looks kinda like is the aliasing.

Atm I am really thinking it is over compression. I just got a dvd burner yesterday and have burned a couple movie backups. I burned a LOTR movie and it had 50.2% compression. It went from around 8gb to 4.5gb. Now, when I played the movie I saw the same problem in it that I have with Dish. Just like with Dish, the worst time of the problem is when the movies fade to black or have night shots. The best way to describe it would be to picture and all black screen then in the middle picture a MUCH lighter black, kinda like a shadow, and that is where you can tell most of the pixilation.

Watching star gate right now on 320 Showtime...... man it looks soooo bad! Someone else check this out, Im seeing ghosting in really dark scenes and tons of lines all over the place. All other channels are fine .

You mention a large flat-screen TV. What kind? Is it ED or HD?

IIRC, flat screens are fixed-resolution and any input other than what it's designed for will not look as good.

SimpleSimon said:
You mention a large flat-screen TV. What kind? Is it ED or HD?

IIRC, flat screens are fixed-resolution and any input other than what it's designed for will not look as good.

Please go into more depth with your comment. I know with an HDTV you can change the resolution but with a standard TV it's fixed, correct? Thus with a normal cable or sat TV feed into a standard TV should be 480 right?

road_rascal said:
Take a look at this post and if it what you're looking at is 'blockiness caused by compression' that what I've been told that's normal for Dish. I also have a 522 (been replaced once already) and most of the channels look like this to some degree on my 32" flat screen using the S video cable. It's not as noticeable on my other 2 TV's (27" and 20" round tubes) using the coax jacks. Believe me, I have really complained about this to the installation company and they said there's nothing they can do about it. Except upgrade to an HDTV and HD receiver (how's THAT for a sales pitch and service?)

Same here! I went from a 20" round tube with very nice picture quality to a 32" flat screen and it's all blocky and the edges are pixelated! I tried s-video and rca. maybe I should try coax?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)