picture-in-picture

Yes, the Genie has PIP, but that is a NEW feature to DirecTV. Dish has offered PIP on many of it's two tuner boxes for about TEN years. The DishPro 721 being the first unit to do so and Dish being the first MVPD to offer it and the only MVPD for quite some time. PIP is available ONLY at the Hopper, not the Joeys. The same restriction applies to DirecTV's Genie: PIP ONLY at the Genie unit, not the clients. Do any of the other competitors offer PIP? AFAIK, satellite seems to be the only ones with a PIP feature.

PIP is one of those things that came and went in lots of TVs. Probably because lots of TVs did PIP in odd ways. I remember one set that could only do PIP with OTA and one of the other inputs. No selection of which input, it was all fixed. Back then reading in forums showed that wasn't all that uncommon.

My son uses PIP a lot, especially during sporting events. He thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread! For me, I think it is more irritating than anything else and almost never use it.

My son uses PIP a lot, especially during sporting events. He thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread! For me, I think it is more irritating than anything else and almost never use it.
i'm with him use it for Football and NCAA BB.
had it on a 62'' Mits and was taken a back when i got a 73'' Mit's without it, first one i bought since 1987 without it. they need a input from something but always found ways to use them.

Yes, the Genie has PIP, but that is a NEW feature to DirecTV. Dish has offered PIP on many of it's two tuner boxes for about TEN years. The DishPro 721 being the first unit to do so

Actually, the VERY first satellite receiver to incorporate PIP was a DirecTV box way back in 2001. Microsoft's "UltimateTV" was so far ahead of other DVRs at the time (back then they were called PVRs). I had this box and it was quite remarkable considering what else was available at the time. By the way, I'm not a DirecTV fanboy, but I was a customer for a long time before switching to Dish a couple years ago.

PIP is one of those things that came and went in lots of TVs. Probably because lots of TVs did PIP in odd ways. I remember one set that could only do PIP with OTA and one of the other inputs. No selection of which input, it was all fixed. Back then reading in forums showed that wasn't all that uncommon.

I use it as was well in the fall for the football games, nice feature to have

thanks
shame most TV's don't have pip anymore. with 60-70'' TV's think it would make more sense than the match book first one i had on a 27'' crt.

AFAIK, you would need 2 tuners in a tv to have PIP. The Mitsu dlp I bought back in 04 ( it long ago became a boat anchor)had 2, if I remember correctly. With most people now using cable and satellite for reception, dual ota tuners became out dated.

AFAIK, you would need 2 tuners in a tv to have PIP. The Mitsu dlp I bought back in 04 ( it long ago became a boat anchor)had 2, if I remember correctly. With most people now using cable and satellite for reception, dual ota tuners became out dated.

still have my Mit's 62'' 62827(w/bulit in dvr) and it does have draw backs but the pip comes in handy still,it has 3 dtv dvr's under it. plus it can get access to my fta stuff.

Agreed, they were far more common in the days of "basic cable" where no converter box was needed between the feed into the house and the television. The TV had two internal tuners that pulled the two channels from that coax cable feed. Of course, when cable often switched to a system similar to satellite, where the feed coming in needed descrambling, the "converter box" was only sending one channel output at a time to the TV, so the feature generally would not work. It had to be something done by the cableco (or sat company) at their receiver box.

My dad, until about 5-6 years ago, had Comcast basic cable and no converter boxes, he tuned the channel with the TV's tuner. I think the TV's PIP feature worked then.

I use PIP often during football season, and have had both Dish and DTV since the 1998 because neither alone had all the channels I wanted to watch. So every tv I bought had PIP. Then Dish added PIP, and it was better than the built in versions on the TV, so I dropped it as a requirement for the TV. I'm glad DTV finally added PIP, but it is almost useless - it is "stone age" compared to Dish's 922 (don't know about Hopper.) I really hope they will improve it - it's harder to use and PIP size and position options are awful.

Teamw