Picture Quality of Local RSN

SarKen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
MA
Does E* over compress local RSN like they do with local network channels. I know SD channels do not look that great on an HDTV but some of the SD channels do not look that bad. Comedy Central looks pretty good. But, when I watch the Celtics on FSN NE and the Bruins on NESN the picture is really grainy when there is movement. Even the still graphics on the screen are not that clear.

I have seen in the HD thread that people are comparing bandwidth between channels. Would a bandwidth comparison of Comedy Central and FSN NE tell me anything. If so, how would I go about requesting this.

I did email dishquality@echostar.com a few days ago. Still have not receive a reply.

Thanks,
Ken

The RSNs don't look too bad just don't watch anything on the sports alternate channels. One night they had the same game on FSN-FL and on one of the alternates. It looked good on FSN but horrible on the alternate. I imagine they compress the crap out of those.

The RSNs don't look too bad just don't watch anything on the sports alternate channels. One night they had the same game on FSN-FL and on one of the alternates. It looked good on FSN but horrible on the alternate. I imagine they compress the crap out of those.

I have to watch most (non-national) of my local hockey teams games on the ALT channels. To put it kindly, they look like doggie doo. Sometimes it almost makes my wife want to cry.

My local RSN (FSN North) looks pretty good most of the time. Still waiting for DISH to flip the switch of the HD RSN's

I have given up on RSN in HD. NESN did not make the first list of uplinked RSNs. So if it takes this long to turn on the RSNs that have bee uplinked then New England fans will never see the Red Sox and Bruins in HD.

I know something is going on because the games even look bad on a 19in TV. So when I try to watch them on my 42in TV it really does not help. So I end up sitting in the our bedroom watching the games on the small TV.

So I am trying to get the SD version looking better. Does anyone have problems with FSN NE and NESN? I do remember reading that some stations that broadcast in HD really do a poor job down converting the signal to SD. Maybe that is the problem.

Ken

FSN Ohio and FSN Pittsburgh look like something on a 1980 Zenith console television with the sharpness turned up so far it becomes grainy - yeah they look like crap.

Who can I contact to see to take a look and clear up both FSN NE and NESN. I did email dishquality@echostar.com over a week ago and still have not received a reply.

I tried calling the number on the Dish site but was put on hold and then was disconnected.

Thanks,
Ken

I called customer service today and the representative checked a few setting and really could not find any problems. This is what we checked.

Software version: L365
Reset the 622
434 NESN on 119 Tp 21
435 FoxNE on 119 Tp14 recently moved from 12

The representative sent this to engineering and said that I would most likely not receive a call from them unless there is a question for me.

I still believe that these channels are just over compressed to save space. It sounds like that we can not get our RSN in HD and can only watch them on an over compressed SD channel.

Ken

I have a question about RSNs that has been answered before I am sure. Are the Fox Sports Channels what people refer to as RSNs? Is there a channel that is actually called RSN?

FSN Ohio and FSN Pittsburgh look like something on a 1980 Zenith console television with the sharpness turned up so far it becomes grainy - yeah they look like crap.

I have the same problem. yes, FSN OHIO is horrible to watch. I do not get to see the puck even sometimes when there is movement on the screen. what;s the deal???
I thought satellite tv was supposed to have far superior quality then cable? But I used to get a lot better pq on digital cable FSN Ohio before.

also tennis channel is horrible picture..cannot see the ball sometimes
??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)