Pipe Size Chart for Satellite Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nycrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
I have attached a standardized chart regarding the size of pipe used for mounting. It is usually not clear what size pipe should be used for mounting.
Example. If you are looking to polar mount the standard Fortec Star 6 ft C/Ku dish, many experts/installers call for a schedule 40 3.0 diameter pipe. However when you go to the store and have the pipe cut (final sale) you end up with a bigger pipe size than the mount could accept, even though the specs list a 3 inch diameter.
Pipe size is measured by inside diameter. The standard (in the US) is called NPS (Nominal Pipe Size). Retailers will sell you a 3.0in dia pipe, however when you factor in the thickness of the wall the size increases to 3.5 in and will not fit your mount.
Therefore here is a handy chart to determine what pipe size with the wall thickness added would fit your mount. In the above case you can go to a plumbing supply store and ask for Schedule 40 NPS 2.5 pipe. (2.5 in inside dia + schedule 40 wall thickness = 2.875in). This would be the best fit for your mount without going over.
You can also use the chart to upgrade to higher thickness (schedule 80, 120, etc) for windy areas and verify that you do not go over your dimensions with the mount specs.
This chart can be helpful for finding poles for installation, motor mounts, and other size poles for different size dishes. These dimensions are for standardized stainless steel/galvanized. Some polished metals might be slightly higher with coatings.

Attachments

• Satellite Pipe Size chart.doc
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,503
i always just asked for the pipe by od measurements. the old guy at the scrap yard found what i needed anyways. haha. i have way to big of dishes on 3 inch od pipe. haha. but that chart will come in handy when i set more poles. thanks.

crackt out,.

I've seen many post were people buy the wrong size pipe mistaking the dimensions for outer diameter. Once the pipe is cut it is a final sale, and at roughly $11 per foot for schedule 40, it could be an expensive learning mistake.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts