Pixelation when using skip forward/reverse

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
Just noticed last night that when using the skip forward/reverse feature, that sometimes the picture is kind of pixelated......... Unit is a replacement 508 that I just received in the last couple of weeks. This doesn't happen all the time just on ocassion. Could I be "timing" it just right after a single push of the skip key, I notice that it isn't advanced far enough & I skip again. Could this be the key? Anyone else noticed this>

I just got a replacement 508 from Dish and the same problem is occurring. I have recorded a show and had 2 episodes of it and one worked fine, the other when trying to rew/ff would pixelate, the bar didn't show correct progress and even would actually go backwards when FF. The recording was fine to watch if not using any of the advance/rew functions of the DVR.

Also noticed on some recordings that work fine otherwise that if i am FF and hit play it knocks me back to the point I started FF from.
I e-mailed dish support on this just in case it's a software glitch and not a unit glitch.

bnewt said:
Just noticed last night that when using the skip forward/reverse feature, that sometimes the picture is kind of pixelated......... Unit is a replacement 508 that I just received in the last couple of weeks. This doesn't happen all the time just on ocassion. Could I be "timing" it just right after a single push of the skip key, I notice that it isn't advanced far enough & I skip again. Could this be the key? Anyone else noticed this>

I haven't noticed any problems with the fast forward portion, yet...........just the skip forward.

Haven't others complained about the skip forward problem since the latest software download?

pixelated 508

P300 and P301 have shown a pixelated moment when returning from a skip-forward, and at other times.
It doesn't seem to be anything you can duplicate.
Try again and it's not there.
Probably a mistake when taking up where they left off.

I haven't loaded P302, so I can't say about it.

Briant73 said:
Also noticed on some recordings that work fine otherwise that if i am FF and hit play it knocks me back to the point I started FF from.

I have this exact same problem - and it only started about a month or so ago. It also does it to me when i rewind. Did you find out anything about this? Maybe due to the software upgrade? BTW, I have a 510.

I just received word from a dish tech support person that this problem has been reported by enough people that the engineers at Dish are working on a fix.

Good to hear that they are taking complaints seriously.

The 510 differs from the 501/508 in only one (significant) way, I know.
It has a two hour video buffer, versus one hour on the units with smaller drive.
The problem may be somehow related to that difference.

Of course, the hard drive is a different size... or maybe it's isolated to a drive vendor.
I'm not solving the problem, just wondering if it's just a subset of the DVR/PVR community that sees the bug?
That might explain why the reported problems haven't been taken seriously.
Nobody collected enough info on the failing PVRs to see the trend, a problem I run into all the time!

Oh, and then there is the "build".
Maybe the firmware takes different paths depending on what build the unit has...
Lots of areas to explore.
Someone just needs to look.

Anole said:
Good to hear that they are taking complaints seriously.

The 510 differs from the 501/508 in only one (significant) way, I know.
It has a two hour video buffer, versus one hour on the units with smaller drive.
The problem may be somehow related to that difference.

Nah, I am seeing this on my 508 since the last sw release as well. Only lasts a fraction of a second, but very noticable.

Right, the pixelization has been there since way back whenever P300 was distributed.
I was referring to Briant73's problem:

Briant73 said:
...Also noticed on some recordings that work fine otherwise that if i am FF and hit play it knocks me back to the point I started FF from.

Briant73 said:
I just received word from a dish tech support person that this problem has been reported by enough people that the engineers at Dish are working on a fix.

That's good, because when I talked to the dish tech today, he said that they had no record of anyone complaining about this problem.

So it is consensus that it is a software problem & not the unit itself?

510 is losing 119! Help!!

loading photos crashes my 942

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)