Pixelization/ Occasional Loss of Signal on Satellite 119

vamiller

Aug 21, 2011
Northern Virginia
Since early July I have noticed a degration of signal quality on satellite 119 on my Dish 500 system. It started with a total loss of signal (it is a 10 yr old system). I replaced the LNBs and the signal returned. Now I have occasional signal drop outs and pixelization. I could be watching for 20 minutes for no problem then the picture starts to go crazy for 5-10 minutes. I confirmed the dish didn't move (made minor dish adjustments but the ended up at the orignal settings for the best signal) The typical signal strength on sattelite 119 on a clear day is ~108 (of 125), ranging from 75 to 120.

Is anyone aware of changes made on satellite 119 that could be causing this? I know I have an older setup (2800 and 3900 receivers) but the problem appeared suddenly and on both receivers. No problems have been observed on satellite 110. When looking at the signal strength it is fairly solid (fluctuates about 5 on the meter) then has a tremendous drop to 50-60 or less, jumps back up to the original value but takes a few seconds to lock. I know people are going to ask about trees and the treeline is fairly far from the dish (>100 ft). I only lost ~10 on the signal meter when I was cleaning the dish.

Now the words of wisdom from the forum members

The problem could be with the wire or a connection depending on your setup. Is there a switch that both receivers connect to before it goes to the lnbs on the dish? What model is the switch? If so then it sounds like the switch is bad or the wire from the switch to the lnb is bad. When you state that you replaced the lnb's that hints at an lnb for 110 and an lnb for 119 instead of the twin lnb where both are connected together as one unit with the built in switch.

To test to see if it is the switch or not, you can bypass the switch and only connecting the 119 lnb to the receivers to see if it still happens.

Which does the lnb look like that you are using on the Dish 500? Two of the single ones pictured below or a Twin where the two are built in together (which also has the switch built in).

Attachments

• Twin.jpg
    Twin.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Dish Network Dual lnb.jpg
    Dish Network Dual lnb.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Thanks for responding and here are answers to your questions. I have 2 receivers (2800 and 3900) each connected to a SW21 switch. You are correct there are 2 LNBs, one for 119 and the other for 110. I also replaced both SW21 switches. The 2 LNBs and SW21s I used to replace were from another system given to me by a friend about 2 yrs ago. The systems was only used for 2-3 yrs before he changed satellite providers. The only original parts in the system are the cables and the dish (and I was considering swaping the dish since I have another one).

Other notes: While the signal can degrate at any time during the day we have noticed it gets a little worse from 9pm to midnight. For example tonight I was watching program which used sat 119, xponder: 08. The signal strength is typically about 92-101. It could be this way for 15-30 minutes then the signal drops and returns back to the normal strength but takes a few seconds to lock. Earlier today I was receiving a good signal/picture at with a signal strenth of 57 during a rain storm. In addition I noticed the higher numbered transponders (i.e. xponder: 20) is has a 10% higher signal. (not sure if this would help with the dropout issue since I don't appear to watch programming on this xponder and only watched the signal meter for 10 minutes). It is this occasional dropout is frustrating.

I am considering upgrading to HD but my concern is Dish Network is having satellite resource issues causing them to push their equipment to the limit.

Different transponders will always have different signal levels. The rec picks the one its needs based on what channel you select.

It does sound like a branch may be swaying in front of 119. Do you have any photos from behind the dish?
It could also be a corroded connector, damaged cable or even a splitter in the line.

Both of your recs are being phased out so you may be able to get them replaced.

The HD system uses a different dish, lnbs, recs and sats

Replacement remote

Newbi to this wild world of Sat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)