Playing audio only through a Dish box

davetroy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I hope this isn't a ridiculous question (it might be), but here's my situation: I'm thinking about switching to Dish. I would want it for four rooms. In three of those rooms, I'd want it hooked up to my TV. But in the fourth room, I have my two-channel stereo with a pair of speakers that can't be next to a TV. What I'd like to do in that room is hook up the receiver to my audio system so that it plays audio only (basically, I'd want to listen to the Sirius stations in this room).

Can this be done? Can I just wire the Dish box to the aux input on my stereo? I suspect that I'll never be able to tell what channel I'm on (I'm assuming most Dish boxes don't have a digital read out), but I could live with that.

Three reasons to do this:
1. From what I've heard, Sirius sound quality is best through Dish.
2. Sirius receivers are expensive and, from what I've seen, not very good. And I'd avoid the monthly charge.
3. I'm thinking of switching from Direct TV, anyway.

Thanks for your help, if help is possible on this topic.

Answers to your reasons:

1 Yes, you can do this as most receivers have both composite (rca, or phone jacks) and optical outputs. Rca outputs are on all receivers.

2. Sirius receivers are not that expensive anymore (can find some for around $30.00), but you only get the music stations and not sports/talk or any of the others offered by sirius.

3. Good luck.

Sure you can do that just run the audio outs (RCA) from the dish receiver to any high level input on your audio receiver.

You won't know which channel it is on (no visual display), and they will charge you an additional $5 a month.

How far is the run?

I hope this isn't a ridiculous question (it might be), but here's my situation: I'm thinking about switching to Dish. I would want it for four rooms. In three of those rooms, I'd want it hooked up to my TV. But in the fourth room, I have my two-channel stereo with a pair of speakers that can't be next to a TV. What I'd like to do in that room is hook up the receiver to my audio system so that it plays audio only (basically, I'd want to listen to the Sirius stations in this room).

Can this be done? Can I just wire the Dish box to the aux input on my stereo? I suspect that I'll never be able to tell what channel I'm on (I'm assuming most Dish boxes don't have a digital read out), but I could live with that.

Three reasons to do this:
1. From what I've heard, Sirius sound quality is best through Dish.
2. Sirius receivers are expensive and, from what I've seen, not very good. And I'd avoid the monthly charge.
3. I'm thinking of switching from Direct TV, anyway.

Thanks for your help, if help is possible on this topic.

How far is the run from where you will have the VIP622 to the room you want the audio only? Others on this theard have said that you can just run out of the rca jacks on the 622 to the audio inputs of the audio receiver. That is true up to a point. There is distance factor as to how far the signal can travel w/o hi frequency roll off. You might be better using one of the new slingboxes.

Is the VIP622 a Dish receiver, I assume? Well, my plan would be to get a separate Dish receiver for the room in which I have my stereo, so the receiver would be right next to my integrated amp. Are you asking if I want to run the audio signal from a Dish receiver in a different room? That wasn't my plan.

Yes

Is the VIP622 a Dish receiver, I assume? Well, my plan would be to get a separate Dish receiver for the room in which I have my stereo, so the receiver would be right next to my integrated amp. Are you asking if I want to run the audio signal from a Dish receiver in a different room? That wasn't my plan.
That was my question. It seem like you were talking about running lines from the HD TV VIP622 (HDTV DVR) out to a different room. If you are talking about having a separate receiver in the room for audio only no problem just come out of the audio RCA jacks with a patch cord to the aux input of the stereo system. :)

If you invest in a cheap B&W TV you can connect it to the receiver where your stereo is and make finding your music easier. CVS /Walgreens will have a cheap B&W TV for under $20 in their ads every once in a while or you could find a garage sale TV just to display the guide for changing audio formats.:)

"...and they will charge you an additional $5 a month...."

How do you figure that???

"...and they will charge you an additional $5 a month...."

How do you figure that???

For the additional receiver. That's why others were suggesting the dual TV mode, but running audio cables could be a problem.

For a simple display, you could use a DVD player. Most have AV inputs. One other point is E* has music channels in addition to Sirius. I think D* only has XM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)