Please help, I want to upgrade to HD tonight!

T. Perinne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Houston, TX
Boy, I'm at a loss as what to do. My 62" Samsung 1080p DLP arrives this week and I'd like to upgrade my current Dish service to HD. I currently have a 522 and 322 with America's 120.

Can you guys please give me some tips or tricks regarding this upgrade?

- I'd like to buy the 942
- I'd like to get the 2nd dish for Voom and get the Voom channel package

Is there any reason not to do this now? I really want to have some decent material for the new TV. I grew tired of waiting for 1080p, I'm sick of waiting for Blu Ray or HDDVD, and I don't want to wait indefinitely for MPEG4.

If I order tonight, I can get an install this Saturday right after my TV gets here.

Thanks!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys... Are you leasing the 522 and 322? and have you called Dish to see what they will do... tell them what you want and if not satisfied with answer try calling again... sometimes Csr roulete will get you what you desire. And ummm I believe your Tv will be 1080i... the progressive is supposed to be on the way...

dfergie said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys... Are you leasing the 522 and 322? and have you called Dish to see what they will do... tell them what you want and if not satisfied with answer try calling again... sometimes Csr roulete will get you what you desire. And ummm I believe your Tv will be 1080i... the progressive is supposed to be on the way...

I think he is waiting for the 68 series Samsung 1080p DLP, nice! Let us know how you like it.

I just got a 942 and two dishes, a Dish 500 for SD and HD package and a dish pointed at 61.5 for Voom package. The hard drive on my 942 is DOA and I am waiting for a replacement 942. I am leasing the 942 which was shipped directly to me by Dish. I have an OTA antenna in my attic for my local HD channels. With the combination of Dish HD, Voom, and OTA it is the highest number of HD channels I've had since Voom.

Yep - Samsung HLR6168 62" 1080p DLP... I'm very excited. Per tracking number, I take receipt on Friday. I'd like the Dish HD install on Saturday but the CSR roulette is driving me insane. The last girl actually thought MPEG4 was a sporting event. Every rep has different info - one said the 942 ships to me, another said the installer brings it; one says intall can be Saturday, another says 10 days; one says the 942 can sell direct for $699, another says I can only buy it through a dealer. Are local dealers any good? I'm on my 10th CSR w/ Dish and I don't know how much longer I can go.

gammadude said:
I think he is waiting for the 68 series Samsung 1080p DLP, nice! Let us know how you like it.

I just got a 942 and two dishes, a Dish 500 for SD and HD package and a dish pointed at 61.5 for Voom package. The hard drive on my 942 is DOA and I am waiting for a replacement 942. I am leasing the 942 which was shipped directly to me by Dish. I have an OTA antenna in my attic for my local HD channels. With the combination of Dish HD, Voom, and OTA it is the highest number of HD channels I've had since Voom.

T. Perinne said:
Yep - Samsung HLR6168 62" 1080p DLP... I'm very excited. Per tracking number, I take receipt on Friday. I'd like the Dish HD install on Saturday but the CSR roulette is driving me insane. The last girl actually thought MPEG4 was a sporting event. Every rep has different info - one said the 942 ships to me, another said the installer brings it; one says intall can be Saturday, another says 10 days; one says the 942 can sell direct for $699, another says I can only buy it through a dealer. Are local dealers any good? I'm on my 10th CSR w/ Dish and I don't know how much longer I can go.
Jeez... we feel your pain... to be on the cutting edge of technology... so near and yet so far... have you tried for a 921 ? its a crapshoot but some of us have been lucky...

Finally got a good CSR... Thanks go to Joseph @ Dish for hooking me up. I bought the 942 and the additional Voom dish. At first I was told that in Houston I could not see the 61.5 Voom bird, after he added the 942 as the receiver on my order the Voom package changed to available in my area. Anybody know what quality reception I'll get with the additional Voom dish and Voom Channels here in Houston?

I was able to get the install fees waived as well as the cost for the additional Voom dish waived. Hopefully having bought the 942 direct will give me some leverage when MPEG4 comes out.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you are set, get ready for some stunning HD Quality. By the way, has anyone seen better HD Quality than whats being pumped out on Dish/Voom ?

The Space Shuttle launch was stunning in HD !!

sprintcarcrazy said:
Sounds like you are set, get ready for some stunning HD Quality. By the way, has anyone seen better HD Quality than whats being pumped out on Dish/Voom ?

The Space Shuttle launch was stunning in HD !!

Yes!! VOOM is tops! And we just love the 942! Enjoy!

--Doug

61.5 from Houston is very doable!

Azimuth - 126.4
Elevation - 39.4

I recently had the choice between D*, E*, and Cox for my HD needs. I went with the following:

DishNetwork HD Pak and Voom for $20 a month. They won hands down due to the amount of HD content for the price.

Expanded basic cable for the 1 HD set and 6 SD sets in the house.
MyHD-130 card in a HTPC for recording OTA and QAM locals off of cable. It's also used to play TS files from other HDTV friends. I love being able to archive CSI onto DVD's!

digiblur said:
61.5 from Houston is very doable!

Azimuth - 126.4
Elevation - 39.4

I recently had the choice between D*, E*, and Cox for my HD needs. I went with the following:

DishNetwork HD Pak and Voom for $20 a month. They won hands down due to the amount of HD content for the price.

Expanded basic cable for the 1 HD set and 6 SD sets in the house.
MyHD-130 card in a HTPC for recording OTA and QAM locals off of cable. It's also used to play TS files from other HDTV friends. I love being able to archive CSI onto DVD's!

I thought with dish you had to have one of their top 60 or 120 or above pkg to get any HD pkg?

Are you saying I could have just the HD pkg and VOOM pkg alone?

Trido

get the dish hd package, voom and a good off air antenna. ( wiengard square shooter) you also need the 942 dvr. everything except hd is going to look like crap so get the fewest possible non hd channels. you won't have to buy the locals if you have the off air antenna.

You can get just the HD package and the VOOM package. But because you aren't subscribed to at least AT60, you have to pay a $5 minimum programming fee.

Hi T. Perinne - I too have the new Samsung (HL-R6168W ) 1080P DLP monitor, FYI it's a 61" monitor not a 62" monitor. Amazing HDTV I must agree! Thew new improved color wheel & DLP chip is a HUGE step up from previous Samsung models. My only grip so far is D* on many of it's channels (not all) are grainy on the new set (using Monster THX component cables + a power clean protector & 4:3 aspect ratio will take most of this out). While 1080p viewing wont be out for sometime, your only early viewing that I know of right now to see what 1080P has in store for us is do a quick search for WMV HD showcase. There are about 12 videos all specially rendered in 1080p format. I ran a SVGA cables from my PC to the TV and used Media Player 10 to view the files. WOW it's AMAZING! Make certain to grab the Amazon (1080p) video that is the best of the bunch.

I too have not chosen a HD package but DishNetwork is looking better right now with it's $ for $ price break when it comes to HD content. Question for you guys, does anyone know if the Dish1000 offers HDMI output as well as eleminate the troubles of having to get two dishes to get the HD Pak & Voom stations?

TIA

Welcome.

Dish 1000 is a satellite antenna and a receiver input. HDMI is a receiver output connector. Not the same.

As of now, Dish 1000 will not get VOOM as it is only at 61.5. Something may go at 129, which is the extra LNB on the 1000 after the core 110+119.

Hey guys - hadn't checked the thread in a while... I've been consumed :) I have my HLR6168 up and running... new surround speakers, Panny digital amp/receiver, HSU VTF3 sub, and a new Dish 942. I got the HD Pack, Showtime pack w/ HD, HBO pack w/ HD, and the Voom dish w/ Voom channels. Upscaling DVD has me mesmorized as well. HD is incredible - 942 outputting 1080i and the 6168 deinterlaces to 1080p... Disc-HD is the best! Only thing I'm wishing for is more sports - ESPN-HD is not always HD and doesn't always show decent games... I'm not really interested in the World Eating Championship in HD. I mean really. I need to find a way to track down HD shows on normal channels i.e. ABC, NBC, FOX, etc... Those waiting for the 1080p TV's this fall are in for a real treat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)