Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you may have seen me talking elsewhere here on SatelliteGuys is that our server is turning 10 years old.

Because of its age and the fact that we don't have the money to replace it I have started searching for other hosting options, which will not only insure we stay online but will also lower out cost of operations.

Over the past week I have tried a number of different servers and server companies and after being disappointed with them all I think I found one that may be able to host SatelliteGuys for many years to come.

The big change however is currently we are using a web software called NGINX which is built for speed. On the new server we will be using Apache for our web software. Apache is not known for being super fast out of the box... but I have been working (and still have not completely finished) tuning the Apache server for speed.

I am happy to report that I have now got pages loading as fast and in many cases faster then our existing server!

But there are a few things... the first time you load a new page it may be slower as that page was not cached yet. But the next time you or someone else loads that page it pops up zooming fast. And because only two people have been testing it (KE4EST and myself) we are not really putting a load on the server.

So here where you guys come in. We need as many of you as possible to test the server, the more users we can get on it the better we will know if this server will work for us.

Now I should note while we are on this server, I may move us to an upgraded server which has the same specs, however instead of 16 gig of ram it has 32 and instead of 500 GB (SSD RAID-1) of drive space we would have 1 TB of SSD storage (in Raid 1). everything else about the server is the same. So if we decide this is it and works for us, I will have to redo everything on the new server. Luckily I kept all my instructions for what I did so far. :)

ANd while we are moving, to start we are only going to take out a lease on it for 6 months, so if somewhere down the line its not working for us we can move elsewhere. (Or perhaps I an host it out of my own home on my gigabit fiber line) :)

So please try it out the address is next dot satelliteguys dot us. SatelliteGuys.US. and perhaps if you guys could schedule a time where a bunch of you cna use it all at once and let me know when that would be great!

Please give it a shot and let me know what you think. :)

Thanks guys!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Seemless! Wow. I even got a notification from somebody who just liked my post. But that notification is on next, not original. Seems the same speed to me. But I don't understand this paragraph.
Now I should note while we are on this server, I may move us to an upgraded server which has the same specs, however instead of 16 gig of ram it has 32 and instead of 500 GB (SSD RAID-1) of drive space we would have 1 TB of SSD storage (in Raid 1). everything else about the server is the same. So if we decide this is it and works for us, I will have to redo everything on the new server.
So the 16Gig server is what is on the production server, or the test server? Is your database on old and next
synchronized? If so, somebody on next just "liked" a post I just posted on the old server. One wonders how that is possible unless peggy is trying out the new server already.

So the 16Gig server is what is on the production server, or the test server? Is your database on old and next
synchronized? If so, somebody on next just "liked" a post I just posted on the old server. One wonders how that is possible unless peggy is trying out the new server already.
Everything from this server is copied over to the new "test" server.

As I mentioned I have tried a few different servers so I got the specs I wanted just to test, however for going into production with it I will order the one with the more memory and more hard drive space, can never have enough of both. :). Makes growing in the future easier. I didn't want to spend extra money just testing servers to have the beefier memory and hard drive. I figure if the one with the less memory and hard drive works then it will work even a little better on a beefier server.

The database there is from Tuesday night.

Scott

Reactions: TheKrell
On my testing the new server is indeed slightly faster.

Loading the homepage on the old server.
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 6.44.09 PM.png

Loading the homepage on the new server
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 6.49.32 PM.png

I got to be honest, not sure how much faster we can make Apache, PHP and mySQL. :D

Seems pretty good. No issues and quick loading. I am going to ween my self off of the Tap Talk app . I am so use to the app but safari works just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yup I have been using the new site on my phone and ipad and the loading is almost instant. :).

Our "style" is made for mobile devices, and just works and works well. :)

Reactions: ewindowman
I’m using Chrome on my iPhone. I go to the .com address, but it redirects to the .us address. I hope my posts won’t go POOF when this test is over.

• Haha
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)