Please suggest best deal & receiver(s) for new customer

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I am currently a Voom customer and I would like to move to Dish now. I need both HD receiver for my DLP & a dvr for the bedroom. In addition, I would like to be able to view the dvr recorded programs on my DLP (in the living room) too. I have looked through Dish's various receivers and I can't pick one from so many options. A HD DVR (921 or 942) is out because its too expensive. One of the reasons I liked Voom was because I could lease the tuner.
I see the 522, 510, 721 and 508 on Dish's site. The 522 seems to be the newest addition but i am unsure how it works for connection to TV's in different rooms. I also read that the 942 could be available for leasing & from description, sounds like the 921 & 522 put together. Do you think I could eliminate 2 recievers in 2 rooms this way?
Finally, as a new customer what is the best deal i can get? I would prefer not too much on hardware. I've been through Directv, Comcast, Voom & its now full circle, so i would like to cut some costs now.

Thanks
Nivas

I'm the same guy that responded at the "other" place, but I'll give it to you here so you stick around here ;)

To lease a 942 will cost you $250 in upgrade/install "fees" so that's still probably too expensive.

The combo you probably want is a 522 and 811. The 522 has 2 tuners and can send 2 different signals to 2 different TVs. You can set up both the 522 and 811 in the same room and then have the 2nd output of the 522 to go to one or more rooms.

Thanks for the response. How exactly is the signal sent to the other room? The 942 brochure says Dish uses in-wall coaxial wiring. My apartment has tied up with SBC/Directv to offer programming through the coax cables in place. Does this mean I can't use the 522?
Also, what exactly is an upgrade/install fee? I mean as a new customer i am not really upgrading and as an install fee, it is way too high. How much will the lease cost beyond this fee?

Nivas

p.s. i am much more of a regular in this forum because of the Voom. I just registed today at the "other" place :)

$5 a month or included in the base price if the 942 is your only receiver.

The signal is sent to other tvs using standard coaxil cable, they can run a new cable to your other TV, you don't have to use the cable that's in your walls...

Can I get both the 811 & 522 free as a new customer on the DHA plan? I assume the dvr would cost $5 extra p.m. I really wish I could have 1 box like the 942 but this initial cost & the 921 bugs makes me wary of such new hardware. Even Voom had many issue but they had most ironed out by them time i subscribed in Jul 04. Considering 942 is just being released, i guess its wise to wait and watch? Will they allow an 'upgrade' to it later for an exising customer?

One last qtn, I would like to subscribe to intl programming when my in-laws visit for which Dish requires a Superdish(and is asking for $99 extra). Is there any way to get the Superdish for the 811/522 package? Where can i get the best deal, online or over the phone?

TIA

srinivos said:
Can I get both the 811 & 522 free as a new customer on the DHA plan? I assume the dvr would cost $5 extra p.m. I really wish I could have 1 box like the 942 but this initial cost & the 921 bugs makes me wary of such new hardware. Even Voom had many issue but they had most ironed out by them time i subscribed in Jul 04. Considering 942 is just being released, i guess its wise to wait and watch? Will they allow an 'upgrade' to it later for an exising customer?

One last qtn, I would like to subscribe to intl programming when my in-laws visit for which Dish requires a Superdish(and is asking for $99 extra). Is there any way to get the Superdish for the 811/522 package? Where can i get the best deal, online or over the phone?

TIA

Yes. You can get the 811, 522 and another receiver (including another 811, 510 or 311) for free.

You may qualify for a free SuperDISH if your locals are on 121.

I checked online for ordering and on one of the pages I get an option of ordering a 2nd dish to receive local channels in my area(actually, just 1 channel - all others can be picked up by 1st satellite). This dish needs to be pointed at a different direction. Is this the same orientation which is needed for international programming? I am just wondering how I can get the Superdish while install without mentioning that I would need it for intl as I don't plan to active intl until june.
Also, i read in another thread that Dish has many hidden fees, like activating local channels just to use the program guide etc. I have an OTA split into 3 for Voom & HTPC now, so i really don't need local channels but I do need the ability to integrate OTA guide with Dish channels on both 811 & 522. Is this possible with current currently?
I am considering basic top60 package, so 26.99+4.99(dvr)+9.99(hd after 6 mos). What other fees can be tacked on?

Yeah a lot of the internationals are still on that second dish. Since they're required to install it for free for your 1 local, go ahead and get it. Since you're going on DHA, you'll be paying to have the locals included anyways, so you can't escape that.

So it will be 29.99+4.98+9.99 no other fees except taxes...

Bryan,

Can i get same deal from dishstore & dishnetwork site? Which one is better to get Superdish?

Nivas

Yes, same deals. I think the Dish Store is still installing people without paying they $49 set up so you're up $49 that way...

Without knowing which international channel(s) and which local market, there's no way to give a definitive answer as to which dishes are needed. Here's where to look it up yourself: http://www.dishchannelchart.com

A SuperDish is either 105 OR 121 (NEVER both) and a wing dish (2nd dish) is 61.5 OR 148.

If you're lucky, your "extra dish" local will be on a bird that gets the i'nat'l(s) you want.

I have a bigger concern - you say you're in an apartment. Lots of restrictions there.

I am currently a Voom customer so I already have a pole with local antenna combined with the Voom dish.
The intl channel I would be subscribing to is SUN TV which is on 61.5(E*3) and 148(E*1).

This is local channel which will require a 2nd dish in my area. Seeing that it is in the 148 orientation, you think the local dish will work for my intl channel?

KMPX TV 29 (Ind) Decatur KMPX 8413 8 148° E*2 Local - Dallas

the V* dish CAN be swung around to 148 - but will NOT work with E* DishPro hardware.

Without re-reading the thread (sorry), I don't know what else you've got, or if you're already an E* customer.

If you're new to E*, you'll get everything you need from them - and it won't affect your V* dish that's on 61.5 now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)