Plug in overnight electric cars poll

When/Will we see practical electric cars?

• Yes, we should see that by 2012 (keep in mind the Chevy Volt)

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Yes, by 2020 there will be a few such cars

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Maybe by 2030

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • We won't likely see such a car for the next 50 years

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Electric cars will [B]never[/B] compete well against fossil fuel cars

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it isn't just the American manufacturers. Everything has gone backwards.

In 1990, Honda was selling the CRX HF. It had an EPA highway of 52 MPG, sold for under $10k and could cruise comfortably all day at highway speeds. You can't even match all that with today's hybrids, much less normal gas vehicles. Heck, we still own the performance Si version of this car and get 36 MPG with over 300k on the clock, and can still run competitive autocross with it to boot.

We had it, and we let it go in favor of big SUVs. Where could we be today on this curve if we had just kept development going?

oil at < $20 a bbl was the detractor that put us on the high fat diet that got us where we are today.

I hear you re: Tesla, but we won't be adopting too many of them at $100K a copy...unless gas hits $10/gal. We need an electric "volkswagen"...

I don't see it happening. What I do see is another energy source coming out. Who knows what but science will provide it. I hate electric cars.

Don't forget, a lot of the savings in owning and operating an electric comes from a large reduction in power train maintenance and repair.

I don't know why we're not doing more with CNG vehicles. In our area the entire fleet of municipal busses are CNG, clean and efficient. CNG is not a panacea but appears to be a viable alternative and the technology is here now. For those with natural gas at home, you could refuel overnight with CNG almost as easily as with electricity...

Natural Gas Myths - Yahoo! Autos

Someone needs to find a way to get a car to run on urine. One big gulp at the 7-Eleven and you got yourself a 300 mile trip. You don't even need to stop for a bathroom break. I even have a name for it, The Toyota Squirt. Yes, I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

I don't know why we're not doing more with CNG vehicles. In our area the entire fleet of municipal busses are CNG, clean and efficient.
1. CNG requires a relatively high compression ratio (~16:1) for comparable power output and efficiency which means a heavier engine and often a turbocharger.

2. Fuel tanks are typically big and heavy and will consume entire trunks in most sedans.

3. Range is limited.

4. CNG fuel is not readily available to the public (there's only one fleet station in my state).

A immediate replacement for gasoline, could be rolled out in 5 years, and end imported oil.

Coal to gasoline!

Its advantages, uses DOMESTIC resource in plentiful multi hundred years supply. works fine with all existing vehicles, all money spent would be used DOMESTICALLY, the plants could be funded by our government, as stimulus.

Big oil doesnt like it:(

My best friend has run both his vehicles on CNG / gas dual fuel since the 70s oil crisis. Its clean, runs fine, but cuts power. The tanks take up a lot of space:( He pumps it himself to 1500 PSI.....

His local garage tested it once for emissions. His 68 impala passed 2008 emission test with flying colors

Yes, shale oil and coal to gas are viable processes, and are being scaled up. IIRC, there is an improved process, using microwaves, that appears to be more efficient. But requires greater capital outlay up front.

They're not cost competitive today. If oil goes up to $80 again, then they probably will be. But they won't be cheap.

Personally, I support massive increase in nuclear power, plug in electric vehicles, biodiesel and the shale oil projects. Let the middle east rot. But Russia, dependent upon energy sales, would also hurt, and that would not be good for them or us. Have to work that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)