PocketDish Firmware

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Anyone know whether the firmware for the PocketDish AV402E is the same as the Gmini 402? The Archos website shows a firmware version of 1.1.25 for the PocketDish AV402E and version 1.5.12 for the Gmini 402.

I can't my PocketDish to work with Napster To Go, so I was hoping that a firmware update might solve the problem.

Thanks for any info!

I'm pretty sure theres no way to get the pocketdish to work with any "To Go" service at this time... I've spent days trying to get it to work and at least an hour on the phone with technical service.

I wonder why since, as far as I understand, the Archos version of the player does work with "To Go" services.

This is a real disappointment!

:-(

jbcheshire said:
The "to go" services are supposedly those pcs with XP, or windows mediaplayer 10.
Can you elaborate? I am syncing my PocketDish using Windows MediaPlayer 10.

Thanks.

Sorry, that's just my understanding of the "to go" services which is actually called 'PlaysForSure'. I can't use them since I only have a dinosaur pc with win98 on it and media player 7.

Maybe if you check out the www.playsforsure.com website you can research your player to see if they can help.

It is supposed to be playsforsure subscription compatible but even archos tech support says it doesn't work... I know how you feel, I was pretty disappointed myself. I hope they come out with a patch for it some day.

skotfarkis said:
It is supposed to be playsforsure subscription compatible but even archos tech support says it doesn't work... I know how you feel, I was pretty disappointed myself. I hope they come out with a patch for it some day.
Well, having tried with both Napster and Urge, I guess there is no use in trying some of the other services (Rhapsody, Yahoo).

I wonder whether the version of the player from Archos (Gmini 402) works with the subscription services (their site clearly says it works with "To Go" services)?

Dare I try updating the player with the Gmini 402 firmware and see if it makes any difference?

Are you talking video or audio? I downloaded music from emusic.com (free 30-day initial membership) and copied them to my PocketDish with no trouble. If I'm I missing something in this discussion, please disregard.

Charise said:
Are you talking video or audio? I downloaded music from emusic.com (free 30-day initial membership) and copied them to my PocketDish with no trouble. If I'm I missing something in this discussion, please disregard.
I am talking audio. Specifically, the subscription or "To Go" type services. Napster and MTV Urge are two example.

For example, Napster offers at least three different options that I know of. One is simply where you buy each track that you want. You then own in permanently. Another option lets you play and download as much as you want to your PC for about $10 month. The tracks stop working if you cancel your membership. The third ("To Go" type) allows you to download as many songs as you want to a portable device. Again, the license to play then expires if you end your subscription.

I have no problem with purchased Napster tracks on my PocketDish. However, I have tried the To Go" subscriptions from both Napster and MTV Urge and been unable to get them to work with my PocketDish.

A real shame!

Thanks for the clarification. I don't buy or download much music these days, so I apparently haven't tried any "to go" subscriptions.

I wish you good luck in finding a way to transfer them to PocketDish. I think the sound is awesome using headphones with it!

elee532 said:
The third ("To Go" type) allows you to download as many songs as you want to a portable device. Again, the license to play then expires if you end your subscription.

So how would the PocketDish know when you've cancelled your memebership?

The music file has a license attached to it. The license is typically good for 30 days. The license expiration date is updated when you login to the music service. When you sync the player, it gets the most current license info for the songs. The file won't play if it doesn't have a current license.

This is how it should work anyway. No luck with it on my PocketDish yet though :-(

Good question. I thought that it worked with any player with the PlaysForSure logo. Is it possible that the version of this player from Dish isn't PlaysForSure compatible even though the Archos player that it is based on is? I'm out of town for a week, but I'm thinking about trying to load the player with the Archos version of the firmware to see what happens.

I'm at work right now, so I can't check, but does the PD box have the PlayForSure logo/sticker on it anywhere?

Even so, isn't PlayForSure only in regards to wmv's and wma's?

I am at home and can tell you that there is not a PlayForSure logo anywhere on the box or in the documentation. That either means that it is not compatible with PlayForSure or that they didn't want to get the licensing from Microsoft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts