Pointing SD 121

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

clarknielsen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Idaho
I have been trying for a few days now to get a signal for a SD 121. I have set the skew and elevation to the settings on the dial and then used a compass for the azmuth. Does the azmuth setting include the magnetic error? I have even tried using a satellite signal finder and I optimze the signal and then go to the receiver and there is not a signal. I have tried pointing with another person and can find some satellites, but they are always the wrong ones.. Any suggestions?

is your mast leveled? what LNB are you using to aim it with? is there line of sight issues? what kind of switch are you using? and what type of receiver?
i found out if you use 121 you always nail it and at max signals.

Dish superdish 121

The 121 is a fss satellite and is hard to hit. What is your zip so I can get elevation and tilt. You may need to use a meter such as the birdog to his this satellite. I used mine to aim my superdish and it work well and fast. Also make sure your pole is dead nuts level!!!!

Thanks for your input... I live at 83642 and from what I can tell that means 95 skew 39 elevation and 170 azmuth. I have tried using all three to get a signal. My mast may be off a tad, I am on a flat roof with one of those platform type post assemblies. I was planning to fine tune using 121. I am using DP LNB's with a dp34 switch and a 301 receiver.

I was able to find 119 w on the 110 lnb. Does that mean that I need to move the dish nine degrees east?

Last edited:
Yup - that's a start.

Bypass the DP34 when aiming - just connect the 121 LNB directly to the receiver until you've got it locked.

Do you need a copy of the manual? It's available in PDF form.

Move east and up about 4 dgreas of elevation, your mast may be plumb but if its an older flat roof your weight may show the mast to be plumb when your next to the dish mount but soon as you move away the roof will come up a bit throwing the plumbness off, its a problem all installers deal with when a roof mount of any type is the only option.

Are all 3 LNBF's DP duals??? The standard DP dual will not pick up the 121 signal!!! The SD 121 takes a special FSS LNBF and in looks different than a standard LNBF.
Also, the receiver may not pick up the signal from the 121 until you have run the check switch and the receiver had identified it as 121 feed. The 121 is not hard to find, it's only 3 degrees off the 119 and you should easily get upper 70's low/mid 80's if your using the proper LNBF's!

I figured out what my problem was.. My dp34 switch is not working.... I connected the receiver directly to the lnbf and I got a signal for everyone.... I have a rental unit that was vacated a few months ago that has a switch on it, so I'm going to swap it out with that one. Thanks for all the advice and helping me to troubleshoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)