Pole mount and burying of the cable

Retired825

Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Atlanta
New customer as of this past Saturday. So far so good.

One question, can anyone tell me the turnaround time on mounting the dish on a pole and burying of the cable.

Just curious.

should of had a appointment made by the tech. Normally its 7 days after the install. If they didnt make the appt call and get utlities marked before having a tech come out. If we come out with no marking we will call and waste another week for you

Utillity marking usually takes 2 to 3 business days. Most techs schedule them a week out. I usually ask my customers what day and time works for them.

Ray M said:
I was told by my installer that I needed to bury my own cable, that burying the cable was not part of the install.

To my knowledge, techs bury up to 50'. After that we charge $1/foot. I'm an RSP tech tho, so pricing might change a lil.

Thanks for the replies. The installer did not mention any cost, but did push to mount on the house as the company prefers it that way as they don't have to send a second tech out. He told me that someone should be out this week sometime but if no one had shown up by this coming Saturday to call him.

Not so much concerned about the cable but the dish is mounted on a square frame sitting on the ground with four cinder blocks on each corner to keep it steady.

Last edited:
....Not so much concerned about the cable but the dish is mounted on a square frame sitting on the ground with four cinder blocks on each corner to keep it steady.
Same way mine was left waiting for misdig. Except it was mounted on a solid cement block with another holding it in place. One week later another showed up and placed the pole and final dish. No coax to bury at my place because I had an extra run out to my FTA dish farm and used one of those cables.

Retired825 said:
Thanks for the replies. The installer did not mention any cost, but did push to mount on the house as the company prefers it that way as they don't have to send a second tech out. He told me that someone should be out this week sometime but if no one had shown up by this coming Saturday to call him.

Not so much concerned about the cable but the dish is mounted on a square frame sitting on the ground with four cinder blocks on each corner to keep it steady.

That would be a non-penetration mount. Typically used on rubber lined roofs or apts that we're not allowed to drill or put in poles. I know my region we follow "1 tech, 1 visit" mentality. Basically, if you want/need a pole then I'm going do mount & bury while I'm there & I don't leave until you have a live picture. I dont generally bury deep enough to worry about having utilities marked. If the customer mentions that utility digging will be happening near my lines then I'll run a length of ground wire or similar so they can find it with a basic metal detector.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

That would be a non-penetration mount. Typically used on rubber lined roofs or apts that we're not allowed to drill or put in poles. I know my region we follow "1 tech, 1 visit" mentality. Basically, if you want/need a pole then I'm going do mount & bury while I'm there & I don't leave until you have a live picture. I dont generally bury deep enough to worry about having utilities marked. If the customer mentions that utility digging will be happening near my lines then I'll run a length of ground wire or similar so they can find it with a basic metal detector......
Interesting Aidan8et,
The Dish installer here stated Dish would not allow then to randomly "poke a hole" in the ground without the utility locator people out there first.
I know of a case as you describe of just planting the pole w/o utility clearance. It cost them a large pile of money in repair costs. You may have done it for years, but, it may/could happen.

RT.

RT-Cat said:
Interesting Aidan8et,
The Dish installer here stated Dish would not allow then to randomly "poke a hole" in the ground without the utility locator people out there first.
I know of a case as you describe of just planting the pole w/o utility clearance. It cost them a large pile of money in repair costs. You may have done it for years, but, it may/could happen.

RT.

True. I tend to look around before I ever dig for warning signs (utility poles/sites on edge of property, entrance points to house, even simply a trail of grass that doesn't feel right) & I dig slowly & check frequently if I even remotely concerned.
I'm sure by the other posters that I'm wrong, but as an RSP does Dish pay us for the re-roll? Or is it considered an "not done" on the tech if I get it setup for util markings?

Aidan8et said:
True. I tend to look around before I ever dig for warning signs (utility poles/sites on edge of property, entrance points to house, even simply a trail of grass that doesn't feel right) & I dig slowly & check frequently if I even remotely concerned.
I'm sure by the other posters that I'm wrong, but as an RSP does Dish pay us for the re-roll? Or is it considered an "not done" on the tech if I get it setup for util markings?

You call the dig people, la one dig here in Louisiana, place your order, you will get a confirmation or case number, call dash and tell them you had to call onedig and you need to tag the account with the case number. Now a paid service call can be created to go back and do pole mount and bury cable.

Similarly to if a customer is missing a TV, call dash, add the missing TV code, enjoy not getting a troublecall when they get that TV.

If the install is in a residential area or housing plan, I will usually do a one call and put down a non pen mount as a temporary mount. If I am in a rural area, then more than likely I will be putting that pole in the ground that day.

In Wi we are instructed to use a temp mount, With our jobs on the line for digging without getting utilities marked. Conversely, the cable is to be burried by the technician the day of your original install, up to 50 ft. average cable depth, 3-5 in. WE make the call for utilities, WE set up the second appointment when it works for you, and YOU do not pay for the second appointment.

Dish regualrly screws up pole mount work orders by not scheduling them properly or not scheduling them at all so call a couple days before your expexted pole mount to confirm.

A follow up call this morning revealed that the installer had not contacted the utilities company. As a result I was told dispatch would send an email to the area service manager who would in turn contact the utilities company who should come out in 24-48 hours. After that worked was completed I would be notified by dispatch to set up an appointment for a tech to come out to set the pole and dish and bury the cable.

jawxx said:
""............. up to 50 ft. average cable depth, 3-5 in.

Thanks...I ended up buying my own cable and went 8 to 12 inches. I didn't think that was deep enough but I didn't know any better. I was just happy to get service and the tech played me pretty good. I have a two dish EA setup (early adopter, before the 1K4 dishes were available) with about a 75 ft cable run to the house. At least I feel better that the cable is buried deep enough.

antimoz said:
Thanks...I ended up buying my own cable and went 8 to 12 inches. I didn't think that was deep enough but I didn't know any better. I was just happy to get service and the tech played me pretty good. I have a two dish EA setup (early adopter, before the 1K4 dishes were available) with about a 75 ft cable run to the house. At least I feel better that the cable is buried deep enough.

Deep enough to plant a garden over it!:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts