Pole Problems

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Ok 2 weeks ago I got Dish. Was great the first weekend, but found a serious flaw in the installation.

The pole rotates easily in the ground (there is concrete around it but the concrete does not stop the pole from being rotated).

I tried putting more concrete around it in a volcano shape above the ground, but this is not helping.

Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you.

I think you're going to need a new pole unless you can still reto fit the current one with a cross bar of some sort. Sounds like the installer didn't cut the pole at an angle on the bottom or place a cross bar through it. Without one of these you would be able to spin the pole as there is no resistance.

Ok 2 weeks ago I got Dish. Was great the first weekend, but found a serious flaw in the installation.

The pole rotates easily in the ground (there is concrete around it but the concrete does not stop the pole from being rotated).

THAT alone for ME would warrant a call back to the dealer/installer who did your job for you. I would DEMAND the tech come out THAT day or the VERY NEXT DAY and fix his piss poor job of putting in the pole. Pole being rotated? Man he probably thought you were a idiot and just put in like 25 pounds of concrete and only 8 inch depth and did the job and made a quick buck. Me - I'm the kinda guy who likes overkill...I have a pole put in and I went 33 inch deep and 65 pounds of concrete along with 40 inch of concrete down inside the pole from bottom of hole up through the insides.

Seriously tho - The installer who left you that carbon paper that you signed? Usually theres a phone number you can call either directly to tech or tech's boss. Get on the horn NOW and demand they come out and re-do the pole. Make em pull the pole out..break off the concrete and start all over again.

Let us know how it turns out.

K, thanks. Anyone sell a arm maybe that can be attached to it and driven into the ground to stabilize it?

THAT alone for ME would warrant a call back to the dealer/installer who did your job for you. I would DEMAND the tech come out THAT day or the VERY NEXT DAY and fix his piss poor job of putting in the pole. Pole being rotated? Man he probably thought you were a idiot and just put in like 25 pounds of concrete and only 8 inch depth and did the job and made a quick buck. Me - I'm the kinda guy who likes overkill...I have a pole put in and I went 33 inch deep and 65 pounds of concrete along with 40 inch of concrete down inside the pole from bottom of hole up through the insides.

Seriously tho - The installer who left you that carbon paper that you signed? Usually theres a phone number you can call either directly to tech or tech's boss. Get on the horn NOW and demand they come out and re-do the pole. Make em pull the pole out..break off the concrete and start all over again.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ill give him a call tommarow

What I did with my poles was simple, I would take the pole and put about 18" under a tire and put a bend in the pole so it ends up looking like a "J".

There's many different methods......

But yeah they'll have to come back and fix that.

OR if your a hands on kinda guy just do it yourself.

That must be SOP for E* techs. Earlier this year I harvested a superdish off of a friend of mine, it was on a pole, when I started to dig it up there was maybe 6 inches of concrete on it, cone shaped. The pole was smashed flat at the bottom, but that was way below any concrete. :eek:

That's where I learned it. Though I used between complete 50-80 lbs bags of concrete with one deep hole, I always figured the hole is there - just have to get the dirt out. :)

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember a bunch of the guys that showed me that were down in Sportman's Paradise installing 105 SD a couple of years back... ya never know.

I tried putting more concrete around it in a volcano shape above the ground, but this is not helping.

Oh. THAT kind of pole problem. I thought this thread was about E.D. :D

To answer your question, however. Take the pole out, and drive two 3" lag bolts on opposite sides of the pole. (Like the bolts on Frankenstein's monster's neck) Then re-set it in the concrete. It should hold.

Find out who did the sh!tty install. Call Dish and file a complaint . And foremost demand someone come out there and fix it. There is no excuse for what was done on your install.

What I did with my poles was simple, I would take the pole and put about 18" under a tire and put a bend in the pole so it ends up looking like a "J".

There's many different methods......

But yeah they'll have to come back and fix that.

OR if your a hands on kinda guy just do it yourself.
I take a two # sledge hammer and flair out the end of the pole. I dig about 12-16" down. Pound the pole inot the ground to stabilize it. I bell bottom out the hole a bit. And add my concrete. The pole won't move unless someone runs over it with a car or riding mower.

Great advice guys. Going to give the installer a call today. if he is unwilling to fix it I will call Dish.

:) Thanks :)

No end result yet. Couldn't get a hold of the guy before I had to leave for the weekend. going to try again Monday then call Dish.

I promise to update as soon as I have any information at all.

That must be SOP for E* techs. Earlier this year I harvested a superdish off of a friend of mine, it was on a pole, when I started to dig it up there was maybe 6 inches of concrete on it, cone shaped. The pole was smashed flat at the bottom, but that was way below any concrete. :eek:

Actually that was "okay", though Dish didn't approve that kinda install since it involved using a "pole driver". There was the risk of hitting something unseen under the ground.

On the SuperDish, a tech would dig the hole, take the pole driver and pound the pole into the ground, and put the concrete in. With this type of install, not as much concrete was needed. That pole wasn't moving for nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)