Poor signal on EA 72

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
I noticed that I was getting signal loss on AMC HD tonight ... checked my signal strength on two different receivers (722 and 211) and both are showing low signals for the EA 72 transponders (high teens to mid 20s). In comparison, both 61.5 and 77 signals are rock solid (50+). Edit - check switch test didn't find any problems, but didn't fix the issue either.

1. Is anyone else seeing an issue with 72?

2. If it's just me, it could be related to my recent upgrade - added two 211s to my current 722 and 211k this week. This also involved adding a powered DPP44 switch. What's the most likely cause of the poor signal from one satellite only, and what can I check easily prior to having the Dish tech come back out?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I get anywhere from 50 to 69 on 72 sat on eastern arc. IF you get any lower than 50 , you need either a repoint or new DPP44 switch. Since the switch was just added and you had no other problems with the signal till it was added, I would guess that the switch needs to be looked at by a tech.

I was thinking that. Now I believe that the tech also had to put a third line in from the dish to the switch. Perhaps I'll try switching the antenna inputs at the DPP44 - if the problem moves then it's most likely the switch, if it stays on 72 then it could be the cable. Or are the inputs to the DPP44 assigned and have to stay where they are?

Last edited:
I figured out something interesting today. I have a 24" JVC tube TV on the same power strip as the power supply for the DPP44, and that JVC draw enough current when you turn it on to dim the lights on that circuit for a split second. I'm now thinking that that power dip was putting the DPP44 in a weird state; once I moved the JVC TV to a different outlet and did a power-off/power-on reset of the DPP44, it is now behaving OK.

I figured out something interesting today. I have a 24" JVC tube TV on the same power strip as the power supply for the DPP44, and that JVC draw enough current when you turn it on to dim the lights on that circuit for a split second. I'm now thinking that that power dip was putting the DPP44 in a weird state; once I moved the JVC TV to a different outlet and did a power-off/power-on reset of the DPP44, it is now behaving OK.

Good info... I will be sure to keep my DPP44 like it is on a separate circuit....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)