Possible method to offload content from a DVR

Ambivalence

Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
I've seen the mod's for the dish boxes to record to an outside HD, and I've seen the $1000 HD component input boards for a computer, and the Blackmagic Intensity HDMI injest board for pc's (which probably wont let you record straight from the dvr's HDMI port).

But then i saw Gefen's hd component / vga to HDMI transcoders. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3569 They run a couple hundred bucks. Couple this with the Intensity board and we may be able to record any Component / VGA source to the PC.

The Intensity supports some compression capabilities to reduce the insane amount of data that would have to be stored....

thoughts?

I was listening to the HTGuys podcast (highly recommended) and they had emailed Blackmagic about the Intensity and found that it will capture HDMI from a set top box as long as it does not require HDCP. So it should work. I plan on getting one to try it out.

Thats what i figured.. but i dont know if the 622 enforces HDCP. But with this setup i could just leave it attached to my unused component outs on the dvr and record it all.

But with the Gefen product.. HDCP shouldnt be an issue.. though it is one more hop to push the signal through.

Another interesting product is from ASUS. They just showed off an external PCI Express card socket. for laptops with an express bus slot. would be rather cool to use the blackmagic from a laptop.. if it could keep up. could then just plug in the laptop to offload HD content when needed.

Time and dollars willing of course...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)