Possible to add DVR 625 - All 4 feeds from Dish already used

tecboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Cincinnati
My current setup is 3 - 301 and 1-501 DVR receivers. Dish and LNB's are from original install in 2000. I know i have the Dish 500 dish and quad switch. With all the recent problems with the 501 locking up and rebooting, i am considering upgrading my 501 to a dual tuner 625 dvr using the dish n it up program. I am using all 4 feeds from the dish so is it possible to create a 5th feed to allow both tuners in the 625 to be utilized?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

You don't have to change anything if you use the 625 in Dual (2 room) Mode to replace the 501 and a 301.

If you're only replacing one receiver, you can put a DishPro Quad on the dish and add a DP34 switch, giving you 6 tuner outputs.

If you can't run a 2nd RG6 to the 625, put a DP Twin on the dish and get a DPP44 switch.

Thanks for the welcome and the info...I was looking to upgrade via the Dish N Itup promo..would their standard install cover swapping out the current legacy quad lnb with a quad pro? I do not want to take out my 301..I would rather use the 625 dual tuners in single mode so i can watch while recording another..Dish tells me ii can onlyt have 4 leased receivers...is this true? I am doing all of this because of the crap software Dish released for the 501's...even with the 3.68...my dvr still llocks up and reboots..

Last edited:
The 4 leased receivers limit is true though a few people have been granted exceptions. The upgrade normally includes whatever LNB and/or switch you need but I think that applies within the 4 tuner limit. Going beyond that would require a purchase on your part. Once we know how many of your receivers are leased or owned, someone better versed in the offers can tell you what to expect.

All my receivers are leased..all 3 - 301's and my 501dvr. Why would the 625 count as 2 receivers? I can understand 4 physical receivers limit but just because the 625 has 2 tuners, that should not count as i cannot find any other std DVR receiver that has a single tuner only. Does DISH offer any other DVR that is a single tuner instead of the 625?

The 625 is one physical receiver, its 2 tuners count against the 4 tuner (not receiver) limit on leases. To go beyond that you can purchase receivers up to a limit of 6 receivers (potentially 12 tuners) as long as only 4 of the tuners in those no more than 6 receivers are leased.

The 508 and 510 are the same as your 501, with successively larger hard drives (40/80/120GB) and a DVR fee applied to the 510 unless you have AEP.

There is also the older DISHPlayer 7100/7200 but I wouldn't suggest that unless your Quad is legacy, and maybe not even then.

OK...if i decide to purchase equipment to do what i want....what would i need to allow both tuners on the 625 to be connected? My current setup is a Legacy Quad 500 Dish...4 RJ6 cables from dish to each of my current tuners...-501 and 3-301's. I would keep the 3-301's and swap out the single tuner 501 with a dual tuner 625.. How would i create this 5th feed?

I would like to go the cheapest route possible if i am buying equipment...seems like the LNB's are priced about the same. There is a big difference in cost between the DP34 and DPP44. I would probably go the DP34 and Dishpro Quad LNB. But in this scenario, how would i achieve 6 outputs? The DP34 and even the DPP44 only give 4 outputs...I would need 5 total as i will keep my 3-leased 301's and purchase a 625 dual tuner DVR to replace my 501...
What would i use to split the single coax going to the 625 location into 2 outputs for both tuners?

Last edited:
how to skin that cat . . .

Well, if you're going to be cheap...
Then DishPro Twins and DP34's should be easy to find.
DishPro Quads are not so common (at least around here), and I'd never buy a new one.

But, to answer one question, the DP quad has 4 outputs.
Two go to the DP34, and two are available for receivers.
Then, you get four outputs from the DP34, making a total of 6.

What I'd do is look around and locate a DishPro Twin, and two DP34 switches.
People throw them away when they move.
I've gotten all sorts of stuff like that by just asking, or intercepting people on the way to the dump.
I usually give 'em $20 just as a friendly gesture.

The DP34 switches are cascadeable.
You could drive up to 8 receivers with two DP34's, using readily available, cheap, and common hardware.

But that's just my opinion... there are many configurations that'll do the job.

Maybe i shouldnt have used cheap...inexpensive is more the word...Understand about cascading 2-DP34's off a Twin Pro LNB...that would require 2 seperate RJ6 lies run to the 625DVR. Is there a combo of LNB/switches/splitter that would support my scenario but only require one feed to the 625 which would be split at the receiver...???

The only way to feed a dual-tuner receiver off 1 feed is with DishPro Plus. To stay cheap you could add another Dish 500, this one with a DPP Twin for the 625. Leave the 301s on the dish with the legacy Quad.

What about keeping my legacy quad lnb....and adding a legacy SW44 multiswitch?Use 2 of the feeds from the dish to the sw44 ..feed the 3-301's from the sw44 and the other 2 feeds to the 625?

I've never used an SW44, but from years ago when I studied them, I believe...
All four Legacy LNB outputs would need to be hooked into the SW44 for it to work.

That's the beauty of the DishPro line.
As described above, two connections would have done the job.

The only way to feed a dual-tuner receiver off 1 feed is with DishPro Plus. To stay cheap you could add another Dish 500, this one with a DPP Twin for the 625. Leave the 301s on the dish with the legacy Quad.

This is your cheapest option. The only other way is to replace your Legacy Quad with a DishPro Twin and a DPP-44.

The DPP-44 will run your three 301's and your new 625/522 off one line each.