Possible to receive 121/118.7 satellites on dish 1000/vip622 HD DVR???

gixxer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Hello,

Currently my setup is as follows,

a. dish 1000
b. vip622 HD DVR

, and here's a screenshot from vip622 system info display,

dish_vip622_1gs.jpg

With this setup, is it possible to get the following channel,

dish_kbs_world1.jpg

Someone mentioned 118.7 and 119 are close enough where i should be able to pickup the channel# 9850.

But i can't.

I do have spare dishes, dish 500 and super-dish, that i could use to receive 121 satellite (or even 118.7). And if i can do that then do i need a separate receiver besides vip622 to get channel# 9850?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
118.7 is FSS satellite requiring a larger dish and different LNB.

You'll need a Dish1000+ to pickup the 118.7.

Thanks much for the info!

Didn't know about 500+, 1000+ and 1000.2 dishes... Yikes! :up

Glad to see that DISH is moving their international channels to 118.7 satellite...

I do have DPP 44 switch from previous use with SuperDISH setup (prior to getting dish 1000), so that leaves me with hunting down a 1000+ dish.

When i got my dish 1000 installed, the installer was able to use the SuperDISH braket (with some sort of adapter thingy). And reading up on the other threads leads me to believe i should be able to use the same braekt for 1000+ (???).

Thanks again!

If you have a Superdish laying around point it to 121, hook it up, and call it done.

Thanks again!

So looks like what you are suggesting would STILL REQUIRE use of DPP 44 switch, right?

So it's between having 2 dishes attached to the side of the home versus single, 1000+.

Before knowing about 1000+ existence, i was asking if i could mix dish 1000 and SuperDISH. And looks like i can mix them via use of DPP 44 switch, to my single receiver, vip622.

But know that i'm spoiled with 1000+, i may actually go this route, depending on how $$$ the 1000+ dish is. (and then there's that real possibility of 121 satellite going away for the international programming, in favor of 118.7).

Thanks much!

Since you are looking for a 1 dish solution....

Buy the Dish 500+ and then take the 110 DP Dual LNBF off of the SuperDish 121 and add it to the Dish 500+ which will then make it a Dish 1000+. The extra LNBF is the only difference between the two; and a small bracket to mount it, but that bracket should come with the 500+ in case you want to upgrade.

Then use the DPP-44 to receive all 4 locations, and feed both tuners on the ViP622, which can be done with one RG-6 cable. Both tuners will pick-up all 4 locations, including your subscription and any free channels at those locations.

Second option, but without buying any equipment.

A few weeks back, there were rumors on this forum that Dish was adding KBS World as a PI channel and it would be available on 61.5/148. Since that time, I have not swung my wing dish over to see if it ever happened or not (since I currently get KBS/704 on 121 as part of the KVP).

But you could keep your current setup, and add the Dish 500 peaked to 61.5, add the DPP-44, and that should add the KBS World and other free Public Interest Channels, such as The Pentagon Channel.

This scenario may also improve your HD reception if you are having problems on 129.

You could feed both tuners to a home distribution system and then your spouse could watch KBS while you watch something else. If you record the KBS programs, sometimes the times don't match up. So if you decide to record "Pure Heart" at 7 - 7:30, you need to go into options and set the timer for 5 minutes early and 10 minutes late. Then it works great. :D

EDIT: You may want to delete your screen shot or edit the Receiver & Smart Card Numbers, to keep someone from calling Dish CSR and playing tricks on you.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Since you are looking for a 1 dish solution....

Buy the Dish 500+ and then take the 110 DP Dual LNBF off of the SuperDish 121 and add it to the Dish 500+ which will then make it a Dish 1000+. The extra LNBF is the only difference between the two; and a small bracket to mount it, but that bracket should come with the 500+ in case you want to upgrade.

Then use the DPP-44 to receive all 4 locations, and feed both tuners on the ViP622, which can be done with one RG-6 cable. Both tuners will pick-up all 4 locations, including your subscription and any free channels at those locations.

So i called into DISH Network, and pretty much comes down to, pay $59.95 to upgrade to dish 1000+ unit. Looks like i don't even need to use my own DPP 44 switch after all. Not bad of a deal for the upgrade (i think).

Question: Can the installer still use the same bracket from Dish 1000 when installing Dish 1000+?

Second option, but without buying any equipment.

A few weeks back, there were rumors on this forum that Dish was adding KBS World as a PI channel and it would be available on 61.5/148. Since that time, I have not swung my wing dish over to see if it ever happened or not (since I currently get KBS/704 on 121 as part of the KVP).

But you could keep your current setup, and add the Dish 500 peaked to 61.5, add the DPP-44, and that should add the KBS World and other free Public Interest Channels, such as The Pentagon Channel.

This scenario may also improve your HD reception if you are having problems on 129.

You could feed both tuners to a home distribution system and then your spouse could watch KBS while you watch something else. If you record the KBS programs, sometimes the times don't match up. So if you decide to record "Pure Heart" at 7 - 7:30, you need to go into options and set the timer for 5 minutes early and 10 minutes late. Then it works great. :D

So adding second dish from DISH Network is something i could have considered, until the wife said, she needs all, i.e. not just KBS World from DISH Network, but also the SBS/SBS-plus and MBC offered by Direct TV.

So, you guessed it, we are not getting Direct TV's ku band dish, just to get their Korean programming offering.

So having 2 dishes from DISH and 1 from Direct TV, for 3 dishes total, that's aweful lot of dishes. Thus the upgrade to 1000+ is what we are considering.

Damn DISH Network! We would have been perfectly okay with KBS World and SBS, until Direct TV snatched the SBS from Dish Network. :(

EDIT: You may want to delete your screen shot or edit the Receiver & Smart Card Numbers, to keep someone from calling Dish CSR and playing tricks on you.

Sigh...

Thanks again!

I'll see if I can comment and not miss anything.:)

1. Can the current mounting be re-used?

Dish 500+/1000+ is bigger than the Dish 1000, but not as big as the SuperDish 121/105.
SuperDish comes with a couple of extra arms to brace it when using the arm and foot. If you did not have them installed before, you may not need it, but in stronger than normal/aveage winds, you might.
Dish 500+/1000+ I believe may also have these extra arms, and a Dish installer may be required to install them. I'm not an installer, just jack of all trades.:D
Dish 500+/1000+ uses same diameter mounting pole as Dish 500 & Dish 1000, but the + pole is longer, maybe to ensure there is enough clearance for the larger dish pan.

However, since you are paying for an upgrade, I would just let them install their equipment, the way they want to, and just put yours up in case you want to install it elsewhere later on.

2. Korean Programming.

I see you already figured out that SBS and Dish came to a disagreement and it is no longer available.
MBC - Middle-East Broadcasting Centre, programming is in Arabic.

61.5/118.7 = KBS, Arirang TV, JSTV (Jesus Satellite Ministry), WOW TV, Ongamenet (Games), BTN (Buddhist Television Network)

121 = KBS, Arirang TV, JSTV, WOW TV

That is pretty much it for Korean Programming. However, each day, some of TV-Japan is free, although not in Korean and/or Hungal, your wife may understand it enough to enjoy it.

New subject -- Maybe she'll let you put up a Free-to-Air system, I believe there are some Korean programs that are free - JSTV, MBS, YTB (?), etc...

Good luck.

I'll see if I can comment and not miss anything.:)

1. Can the current mounting be re-used?

Dish 500+/1000+ is bigger than the Dish 1000, but not as big as the SuperDish 121/105.
SuperDish comes with a couple of extra arms to brace it when using the arm and foot. If you did not have them installed before, you may not need it, but in stronger than normal/aveage winds, you might.
Dish 500+/1000+ I believe may also have these extra arms, and a Dish installer may be required to install them. I'm not an installer, just jack of all trades.:D
Dish 500+/1000+ uses same diameter mounting pole as Dish 500 & Dish 1000, but the + pole is longer, maybe to ensure there is enough clearance for the larger dish pan.

So what i forgot to mention is that i sent from SuperDISH to dish 1000. SuperDISH was huge compared to dish 1000, and dish 1000 looks so TINY where SuperDISH once was. Anyway, the installer of dish 1000 ended up using the existing SuperDISH bracket. The SuperDISH mounting looked strong and very sturdy. Has 3 braces/arms. When i moved over to dish 1000, the installer said he doesn't need to remove the SuperDISH mounting. And i remember he had to add a new adapter to brace the dish 1000 to the existing SuperDISH mounting. That's what i remember.

However, since you are paying for an upgrade, I would just let them install their equipment, the way they want to, and just put yours up in case you want to install it elsewhere later on.

You got it. If the installer of dish 1000+ wants to tear down the SuperDISH mounting, and do his own thing, then more power to him. I'll just put away the SuperDISH mounting hardwares in my garage.

Yes, for $59.99, upgrade to dish 1000+ along with DPP 44 switch. That's pretty good deal, i thought. Of course, none of that would be mine, just leasing it i suppose.

2. Korean Programming.

I see you already figured out that SBS and Dish came to a disagreement and it is no longer available.

61.5/118.7 = KBS, Arirang TV, JSTV (Jesus Satellite Ministry), WOW TV, Ongamenet (Games), BTN (Buddhist Television Network)

121 = KBS, Arirang TV, JSTV, WOW TV

That is pretty much it for Korean Programming. However, each day, some of TV-Japan is free, although not in Korean and/or Hungal, your wife may understand it enough to enjoy it.

Actually MBC i was referring to is a Korean channel, Moon-Wa Bang Song.

And yes, DISH Network's line of Korean channels, after they lost SBS, is pretty much lame, compared to Directv.

New subject -- Maybe she'll let you put up a Free-to-Air system, I believe there are some Korean programs that are free - JSTV, MBS, YTB (?), etc...

Interesting thing about this FTA satellite. I'll look into it.

Thanks again!

Point the DiSH 500 at 61.5 or 148. Connect to the DPP44 and get channel 652.

Yes, i would, except i'm looking for a single dish solution since i'm getting a dish from Directv. So adding dish 500, i would end up with 3 dishes. :eek:

Then pay for the DiSH 1000+ upgrade and get'er done. Make sure you have good 118.75 signal before they leave.

Okay, thanks again!

By the way, "by good signal", would that be at least 70% signal strength?

If not, then what would you consider as good signal strength?

Thanks much!

It sounds like you are ordering Dish Network with the Korean Variety Pack which includes KBS, Arirang, WOWTV, JSTV, BTN, and Ongamenet using a Dish 1000+ & DPP44; and then you are going to order DirecTV to get SBS.

If the only Korean channel you want from Dish is KBS, then maybe after the install you can drop the Korean Variety Pack, since KBS is free if you have other qualifying programming.

Moon-Wa Bang Song...
Never heard of it, but the Dish Network channel labeled "MBC" is not Moon-Wa Bang Song, but is...

I believe you are familiar with DirecTV and their Korean Programming, and suspect they have a Korean channel called MBC. If so, can you tell me what programs they have in Korean, and if know, what sat positions. I called DirecTV around Feb and they said they didn't have any Korean programming, but since then I had heard someone else say they did. Guess DirecTV CSR's and Dish Network CSR's work for the same company.:D

You gonna have too many channels. You may have to quit working so that you can watch some of them!:)

EDIT: Ahhh, Moon-Wa Bang Song = MBS not MBC ?? I think available FTA, but not Dish Network.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are ordering Dish Network with the Korean Variety Pack which includes KBS, Arirang, WOWTV, JSTV, BTN, and Ongamenet using a Dish 1000+ & DPP44; and then you are going to order DirecTV to get SBS.

If the only Korean channel you want from Dish is KBS, then maybe after the install you can drop the Korean Variety Pack, since KBS is free if you have other qualifying programming.

Hey, thanks much! Yep, i did see that KBS World is available as part of programming package i have, thus i'm really NOT ordering the Korean Variety Pack from DISH, but merely trying to pick up the KBS World via the 4th satellite (and still keep my setup with 1 dish), hence the need to upgrade my dish 1000 to dish 1000+ setup.

Thanks again everyone for help!

Well, got it done last week.

Urgh, how ridiculous... 2 of each... ARGH!!! :mad:

And tomorrow, upgrade from dish 1000 to dish 1000+... This is all too messed up, just to pickup Korean programmings... Urgh!!! Damn Dish, why did you loose SBS...

Attachments

• DSCN1107.jpg
    DSCN1107.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1112.jpg
    DSCN1112.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN1114.jpg
    DSCN1114.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
made pictures thumbails. You can click on them to see whole picture

please use attachment option in the future. It helps the dial-up viewers :)

My wife is korean also, we live in S.E. Michigan and we faced the same problem. We were fine until Dish dropped all the good Korean except KBS. My solution was to get an FTA system from KISB ( on IA5 satellite). That is Korean International Satellite Brodcasting based in Los Angeles, Ca. AMC4 Satellite also has Tantv which is also based in Los angeles. Both work sort of like Dish or Directv but only for Korean programs. Better choices and reasonable prices. You can look them up on the internet. Also KBS is free on Dish so you can cancel your korean subscription and still get KBS. The money you save will more than pay for KISB. If you have any questions feel free to ask since I just went through this whole scenerio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)