Post your HDTV EDID, if you can't get the 1080p "IAL"

Smith P.

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
As an engineer, I would gather nothing from all your posts. :(

There are so many models, FW revisions, EDID corruptions ...

There is REAL way to help Dish developers - post EDID data from your TV.
I would add to that files make/model from back site label/year/version if you can get from TV Info screen.

How to obtain the EDID: connect to your PC video card by HDMI or DVI or VGA cable and run some program from DOS or Linux or Windows, also this or any other software what you like.
Most important to use that program what could produce BINARY ( unparsed) file.

For technically inclined ppl Extended display identification data - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia had some tech info about EDID.

Excellent post - I'm looking forward to seeing if there is an easy correlation to be found. I would even say post your edid even if IAL worked. Indicate in your post whether your display worked or did not work.

Can't blame Dish if you find out the problem is your tv.

:)

Sure I can.

They put out a product that isn't working for wayyyy tooooo many of us. If they put a disclaimer regarding their 1080p content stating that certain tv's, by brand and model number, will not work, than yes, I wouldn't be able to blame Dish.........but........they did not do that, so yes, I CAN blame dish.

But again, this all may be a moot point with L6.13 around the corner, with "MAY" being the key word here.

EDID data file? Don't be ridiculous. He bought a Sony so it can't possibly be the tv at fault or any operator error either. EDID data files are for those truth fanatics.

:rolleyes

A lot of people are having problems - exactly - a lot of people thought they had a tv built and programmed to support a complete standard. A lot of people also buy Monster cables.

There's no way all these tv companies would assume that since the majority of HDTV watching was going to be 720p/1080i there would be no need to write the EDID data file to indicate all that the display could support. Couldn't be.

Yes, you might force a 1080p24 signal from a device and it does work, good for you.

Dish would rather not hear from all the customers who paid for 1080p24 and it never showed up on their tv and have to refund ppv charges so Dish decided to test the display first to avoid forcing an incompatible signal to a non-supported display. Bad Dish, Bad. Joe Six Pack is very smart, trust him.

Wonder what the top complaint will be next month?

Good thing Voom isn't still on or it would be Voom's fault.

EDID data file? Don't be ridiculous. He bought a Sony so it can't possibly be the tv at fault or any operator error either.

What a bunch of hooey. OF COURSE it could be the Sony and/or operator error.:rolleyes:

But lets see if L6.13 fixes this issue.

Agree with you Lwien

Read post #162 in the "Can't get 1080p............." thread.

Couldn't agree with you more Lwien. Just who is going to pay for any damage to a Dish customers TV/computer because something went wrong - for instance, a not too savvy user frying his video card with static discharge because he didnt unplug everything. We all know that can happen. Will you help them out Smith, P. because of your incomplete instructions?

If Dish engineering really thought the EDID data is something they need, I would certainly hope they are bright enough to figure out how to do it :eureka

1. The firmware already queries for some EDID data under the HDMI diagnostics. If they need more data, drop some code in the routine to extract what they need.

2 Query for whatever flag is set when the Compatibility test is run. The test has to set a flag somewhere since, as reported in the forums, it will only run once.

3 Package it all up in a nice tidy binary and return to dish with an out call.

Very soon Dish would have enough EDID data and test results to keep them busy for a long time.

Who knows, maybe they are already doing it with L6.13:shh

If Dish engineering really thought the EDID data is something they need, I would certainly hope they are bright enough to figure out how to do it :eureka

1. The firmware already queries for some EDID data under the HDMI diagnostics. If they need more data, drop some code in the routine to extract what they need.

2 Query for whatever flag is set when the Compatibility test is run. The test has to set a flag somewhere since, as reported in the forums, it will only run once.

3 Package it all up in a nice tidy binary and return to dish with an out call.

Very soon Dish would have enough EDID data and test results to keep them busy for a long time.

Who knows, maybe they are already doing it with L6.13:shh

Wait !! That's too easy. Got a muuuuuch better idea. Let's ask the users to unplug their computers and modems to drag to the other room so they can hook it up to the tv. "Wait, I gotta drag the modem too, but I'm on DSL and there's no jack there, and I'm not on wireless. Nevermind, I'll drag my 70" into the other room. Yeah, that's the ticket. Now how do I get to the video card? I need a cable? What cable? Should I get Monster Cable?" (fodder for another thread.....;)) (been using Macs for almost 25 years. I know NOTHING about no stiiiiiiinkin video cards !!)
And I haven't even got to the software yet.

Wait !! That's too easy. I'll drag my 70" into the other room. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Grandpa: "Mable, ya better call the boys to come over here and help me move this big ol' tv to the other room. I gotta help Dish Network solve a big problem!"
Grandma: "OK Earl, ya'all just be careful and don't drop it on the dog, ya know how bad he is about gettin' in the way!"

:haha:haha:yikes:haha:haha

Seriously though, it's a simple issue to me:
I PAY Dish Network a lot of money to provide me with a service. Dish has not yet offered to PAY me to spend a couple hours of my life doing their diagnostics for them.

You are not paying attention to the real problem here:

TV engineers did not program the tvs with the correct/complete edid data because it was not needed. Now that more and more systems and displays are actually checking the edid for this missing data, more displays are having problems.

This is not Dish's fault or problem. Your tv is reporting incomplete data - an unfinished profile.

AND:

You are not helping Dish "solve" any problem. Providing the edid data will help technically inclined folks help you figure out why your tv failed the test so you can maybe get a firmware update from your tv manufacturer. You paid them a lot of money for a tv that does not report complete data.

They put out a product that isn't working for wayyyy tooooo many of us.

How do you know this?

How often is VOD used to begin with?

(I never used VOD until now and that was just to test 1080p. Mind you, I did enjoy IAL at the theaters and I felt for $3 it was worth the test and another viewing.)

How many of those people that use VOD are having issues with 1080p?

After all is said and done ... it may be only the dozen or so people complaining about it on this forum :D

After all is said and done ... it may be only the dozen or so people complaining about it on this forum :D
'
Good point, but check out the following release notes on L613:

Here are the release notes for L6.13 for the ViP622/ViP722:
Fix for the video only taking up 1/8 of the screen in the corner.
Fix for System Information in check switch for Eastern Arc Satellites 72 and 77.
Fix for stuck in System Information screen.
1080p fixes.

I doubt that they would put in 1080p fixes IF it were only a dozen or so people in these forums.

AND:

You are not helping Dish "solve" any problem. Providing the edid data will help technically inclined folks help you figure out why your tv failed the test so you can maybe get a firmware update from your tv manufacturer. You paid them a lot of money for a tv that does not report complete data.

That is not what the OP said in his post:

"There is REAL way to help Dish developers - post EDID data from your TV."

Seems fairly clear to me.
The real point is - If dish engineers think they need EDID data, I think they are more than capable of figuring out how to get it on their own. They can modify their own HDMI analysis to provide whatever they want to see.

As far as this thread turning into a help session for users who are concerned about their TV firmware and updates, then this is the wrong forum. Lots of that over in A/V.

Taken by EDIDView v2.0 from here.
Code:
EDID ( Extended Display Identification Data) Report

Vendor/Product Identification:

Monitor Name : 	DELL 2405FPW
	Monitor Serial Number : 	Txxxxxxxxxxx
	Manufacturer Name : 	Dell Computer Corp.
	Product Id : 	A00F
	Serial Number : 	810xxxxxx
	Week Of Manufacture : 	31
	Year Of Manufacture : 	2005
	EDIDVersion : 	V1.3
	Number Of Extension Flag : 	0

Display parameters:

Video Input Definition : 	Analog Signal
	 Analog Signal Properties : 	Composite Sync - Sync on Green - Separate Sync - 0.700V/0.300V (1.000 Vp-p)
	Max Horizontal Image Size : 	520 mm
	Max Vertical Image Size : 	330 mm
	Max Display Size : 	24.2 Inches

Power Management and Features:

Standby : 	Supported
	Suspend : 	Supported
	ActiveOff : 	Supported
	Video Input : 	1
	sRGB Default ColorSpace : 	True
	Default GTF : 	Not Supported
	Prefered Timing Mode : 	True

Gamma/Color and Etablished Timings:

Display Gamma : 	2.2
	Red : 	x = 0.64 - y = 0.33
	Green : 	x = 0.3 - y = 0.607
	Blue : 	x = 0.149 - y = 0.06
	White : 	x = 0.312 - y = 0.328

Etablished Timings : 	
		800 x 600 @ 60Hz (VESA)
		640 x 480 @ 75Hz (VESA)
		640 x 480 @ 60Hz (IBM, VGA)
		720 x 400 @ 70Hz (IBM, VGA)
		1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz (VESA)
		1024 x 768 @ 75Hz (VESA)
		1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (VESA)
		800 x 600 @ 75Hz (VESA)

Display Type : 	RGB Color Display

Standard Timing:

Standard Timings n°	1
	X Resolution : 	1280
	Y Resolution : 	1024
	Vertical Frequency : 	60

Standard Timings n°	2
	X Resolution : 	1600
	Y Resolution : 	1200
	Vertical Frequency : 	60

Standard Timings n°	3
	X Resolution : 	1152
	Y Resolution : 	864
	Vertical Frequency : 	75

Preferred Detailed Timing:

Pixel Clock : 	154 Mhz

Horizontal Active : 	1920 pixels
	Horizontal Blanking : 	160 pixels
	Horizontal Sync Offset : 	48 pixels
	Horizontal Sync Pulse Width : 	32 pixels
	Horizontal Border : 	0 pixels
	Horizontal Size : 	519 mm

Vertical Active : 	1200 lines
	Vertical Blanking : 	35 lines
	Vertical Sync Offset : 	3 lines
	Vertical Sync Pulse Width : 	6 lines
	Vertical Border : 	0 lines
	Vertical Size : 	324 mm

Input Type : 	Digital Separate
	Interlaced : 	False
	VerticalPolarity : 	False
	HorizontalPolarity : 	True

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency : 	76 Hz
	Minimum Vertical Frequency : 	56 Hz
	Maximum Horizontal Frequency : 	81 KHz
	Minimum Horizontal Frequency : 	30 KHz
	Maximum Pixel Clock : 	170 MHz

Stereo Display:

Stereo Display : 	Normal display (no stereo)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts