Power Drill

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
Does anyone know what kind of power drill I can use to install the satellite dish. I bought a 12volt drill and 5/16 bit but it didn't drill through the red brick. I read on Sadoun's site that you would need a Drill and 7/16 5/16 bit. Then I spoke with someone at homedepot and they said I would need a hammer drill. If anyone knows a make and model number of hammer drill I would appreciate it thanks.

You can drill masonry with a reg drill and masonry bit but it can be dang slow. Hammer drill is the thing to have, but I don't have one either. The number of times I'd need it don't justify the expense.

edit: I hope you're drilling the mortar joint, don't think the brick will hold up.

A hammer drill is like a hot knife through butter on masonry. Find a good buddy and mooch his like I do! :D I do not use one enough to justify a purchase but Harbor Tool does sell one that goes on sale once in a while if you are desperate. It should be good enough for hobby use but I would not try running it everyday! :)

Home Depot will rent you a hammer drill if you don't want to buy one, but, umm..

Well, first the oft-heard disclaimer: "I'm no expert, but..."

I'm not sure you want to be drilling the red brick. I certainly wouldn't try unless forced to, and even then only if the holes would end up dead center in the brick. turbosat suggests drilling the mortar, and I agree. So, do you need a hammer drill? I'd be surprised if you did. A masonry bit is likely all you need; a little slow calls for a little more muscle.

its ok to drill through the brick. Every other Satellite dish on the roof has the 4 bolts drilled through. I figure since I cannot find a person who can install the motor I will try it myself.

I'd go rent a hammer drill then, you sure don't want to be messing up your brick. I've been trying to drill some holes in concrete here, to fix a handrail, and its a slow go with a regular drill lol. I remember the big milwaukee hammerdrill when I worked construction, oh man was it something to drill concrete with.

I saw that drill for sale at sears it was over $200. I will check out homedepot tomorrow. Thanks All.

I would think that if your drilling into brick as the mount for a dish that in time the wind will loosen the brick. If you are drilling into a solid piece of cement to anchor it thats a different story that will hold.
I saw that drill for sale at sears it was over $200. I will check out homedepot tomorrow. Thanks All.

Another thing is to consider is where the driller is standing or something awkward??? I had to drill a bunch of holes in concrete blocks without a hammer drill standing on a ladder. It does not sound too hard but it took a lot of time to get through and blocks are not that thick. The ole arm was getting sore after just a couple of holes with all of the pushing. My productivity was real slow and I needed about 40 holes all total. After I got the hammer drill I did not want to stop drilling and the time it took me to do 25 holes was about as much time as 4 the old way! I was not too high in the air, but if I was, I would never take a regular drill up there! :)

A hammer drill will get the job done so much easier and possibly safer especially if you are up high!

If the OP here doesn't have line-of-sight issues he should consider putting that dish on a pole in his yard, much easier to work on.

I'd suggest Ridgid brand 18V Hammer Drill sold in Home Depot. Do not buy Ryobi, its much less efficient as a hammer drill due to lower RPM and different hammering parameters. Ridgid Drill also has higher torque for driving screws in, but Ridgid Impact Driver would be the best for this. Use proper bits for hammering. They're usually supplied in the box with Tapcon Screws - the best for mounting a large dish in concrete and brick, no inserts required. Make sure to pickup 1/4" Dia X1 Length or longer screws - withstand any wind.

Last edited:
I overlooked that part cosmo, I'd go for the tapcons for sure in that situation. They may be a dollar apiece now, haven't bought any in so long, but well worth it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)