Power on Channel?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I realize this is a very minor annoyance, but in all my years I have never had a satellite box, cable box, OTA converter or anything else that did not power on to the last watched channel. The one exception would be a Time Warner box that could be set through the menu to always power on the same channel.
This Hopper seems to power on to any random channel. I can't say it comes on to channels that I have never watched, but it has become rather odd to have to change the channel to news or weather in the morning rather than some minor channel I had watched a few minutes last week.
Is there some menu setting to control this? Does everyone with a Hopper notice this? Like I said, minor but rather peculiar.

I don't have the Hopper but posts say it is meant to be predictive? Work around is to set the timer to go to the station you want around the time you wake up. Not a feature I would like :)

I actually enjoy it. The morning I turn the Hopper on and its on my local news station is on and when I come home in the evening it goes to regional sports station. But now that baseball is over might night like the night station, have to relearn the evening station.

OK, so I guess I have to train the Hopper like a new puppy. I have been leaving it on CNN in the morning and Weather Nation in the afternoon until the 2 hour auto shut-off. I actually turn off the TV to save electricity. Not a big deal, I was just a bit perplexed.

To the OP, the only other time I experienced this was back in 94 when I had a Tocom cable box (had green numbers and three big buttons for channel up/down and power) and would always power on at the Preview Channel (channel 24). That ended when the cable company upgraded the channel lineup and equipment to the current two digit tier in my area. Obviously, it had been upgraded over the years.

The Hopper's situation is much more advanced, as my Hopper will power up to Disney Junior in the morning, Sirius XM's Classic Rewind in the afternoon, and my local ABC affiliate at night. Damn wife and kids.

Monday through Friday my Hopper turns on with one of the four networks, in particular, NBC Bay Area, Channel 11. If you press the red button on the remote, you'll see that one of the tuners are being used for the prime networks, one of them being NBC. On weekends, the tuner will be on the Weather Channel, ALWAYS. It was the first channel I would turn to when I got up on the weekend. I no longer have to, as it's there already.