Power on TV now goes to LG tv home screen

redsnapper

Original poster
May 19, 2023
VA
Dish TV subscriber with a Hopper receiver
LG Smart TV
Wi-Fi connect w/Dish purchased HDMI cable from receiver to the TV

Previously for the last two years, when powering on the TV, it went to the last Dish channel.
Now, for whatever reason, power on goes to the home page of LG TV (the brand TV I have)
I have to use the LG remote to navigate to Dish.
I spend 20 minutes on the phone with a Dish rep. No help whatsoever and blamed a bad HDMI cable.
Rep claimed they havn't had any of this type of inquiry.

There was a lightning storm on the evening before the LG/Dish power on selection.
The lights flickered and the Dish receiver box went dark and the power came right back on.

I tried the "go to last channel" Dish menu selection with no help.
Your help would be appreciated

Dish TV subscriber with a Hopper receiver
LG Smart TV
Wi-Fi connect w/Dish purchased HDMI cable from receiver to the TV

Previously for the last two years, when powering on the TV, it went to the last Dish channel.
Now, for whatever reason, power on goes to the home page of LG TV (the brand TV I have)
I have to use the LG remote to navigate to Dish.
I spend 20 minutes on the phone with a Dish rep. No help whatsoever and blamed a bad HDMI cable.
Rep claimed they havn't had any of this type of inquiry.

There was a lightning storm on the evening before the LG/Dish power on selection.
The lights flickered and the Dish receiver box went dark and the power came right back on.

I tried the "go to last channel" Dish menu selection with no help.
Your help would be appreciated
Have you checked the HDMI-CEC settings in both DISH receiver & TV to see if they are still on? Have you tried a pull the cord reboot for both units?

First thing is that it's a tv issue and not a dish issue which is why you got nowhere with support. It has nothing to do with hdmi. There's a tv setting that somehow got reset with the power outage. If it's a newer lg tv press your setting button on lg remote and you'll get some icons on left side, go down to all settings then general then home screen then find the option for power on or startup, can't remember exactly what it says and you'll chabge it to whatever input your dish is connected to or if can't select individual input it will have last input.

I think it's something to do with the Wi-Fi not connecting as one screen says it's not
But when I got to connections, there is the wi-fi saying connected.
But I think it's lying because I cannot get into Netflix.

I managed get the Wi-fi back on.
It says connected.
Now onto seeing if when turned on, it will go to the Dish screen rather than the LG screen

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I think it's something to do with the Wi-Fi not connecting as one screen says it's not

It says connected.
Now onto seeing if when turned on, it will go to the Dish screen rather than the LG screen
I already gave you instructions on how to do that. Did you ever try it out?

It says connected.
It has nothing to do with Wi-Fi being connected and I don’t understand why you think that dish equipment has anything to do with the behavior of your TV. Probably what happened was that your TV took a firmware update, which changed the behavior of the TV. Specifically enabling the home screen menu to come on when the TV powers up. My last TV was an LG and this is exactly what happened. All of a sudden every time I turn the TV on I would get that pop-up LG menu with all the shortcuts and links and menu items.

It has nothing to do with Wi-Fi being connected and I don’t understand why you think that dish equipment has anything to do with the behavior of your TV. Probably what happened was that your TV took a firmware update, which changed the behavior of the TV. Specifically enabling the home screen menu to come on when the TV powers up. My last TV was an LG and this is exactly what happened. All of a sudden every time I turn the TV on I would get that pop-up LG menu with all the shortcuts and links and menu items.
I am using a 2015 LG 65" 65EF9500 4K 3D OLED TV and what I hate about it is after a power outage, the TV actually turns on which would be fine if I am home so everytime I go on a trip, I always unplug the TV first before leaving since I don't want the TV on for weeks when I am not home.

In any case, not sure if the following video will fix the problem for redsnapper or not:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8V2oSge0k

I am using a 2015 LG 65" 65EF9500 4K 3D OLED TV and what I hate about it is after a power outage, the TV actually turns on which would be fine if I am home so everytime I go on a trip, I always unplug the TV first before leaving since I don't want the TV on for weeks when I am not home.

In any case, not sure if the following video will fix the problem for redsnapper or not:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8V2oSge0k

Can’t you just set a sleep timer? I used to sleep with the TV on in my room and I hated it because I fall asleep and then wake up two hours later to a TV being on, so I set a sleep timer so it would shut off after an hour.

Can’t you just set a sleep timer? I used to sleep with the TV on in my room and I hated it because I fall asleep and then wake up two hours later to a TV being on, so I set a sleep timer so it would shut off after an hour.
Not sure about that one since it's a risk if the tv is on for weeks without anyone even remotely physically at the location. Thanks for that tip.